• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess vs. Skyward Sword

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Well I think the intro for TP was as long as it needed to be but I guess that's just my unpopular opinion.
I honestly don't think SSs is any more dragged out. In both games the activities are menial at best.

Either way, I don't want a games intro to be any longer than like 20 minutes. Seriously. Final Fantasy which is heavily story focused manages to throw you into combat and teach you things within the first couple minutes of the game, as does XBC, TWEWY, hell even TLOU throws you into it relatively quickly given how the game is 50% movie. TLOU has an intro probably as long as TP and SS and the importance of the intro is about 10x that of those two. If story focused JRPGs can throw you into the game then certainly Nintendo can construct a quick, effective intro in a franchise where they don't even know what the **** is going on with their own lore. I'm frankly glad that you get to start the game right away in BotW even though I'm sure they'd have grounds for a long intro.

Nothing is worse than KH2 though. Literally several hours.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Also I believe you mean your WRONG opinion. While mine is flawless (but not perfect).

I enjoyed both games pretty much equally, but resetting motion controls every 10 minutes was infuriating.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sky >>> great sea

Not only that but SS - citscenrs and Fi dialogue skipped - is far more actiony literally and figuratively than TP. I play my games for gameplay and SS has TP beat by miles.

I may hate muh zimun zayz but its better than mindlessly mashing B against braindead enemies.

If SS had hidden skills, boy, that'd be badass as ****.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Woah man, posting this 4 years ago would result in thermonuclear warfare. Risky.

Graphics: Twilight Princess

There's a 5 year time gap, but even still I prefer Twilight Princess. It was the most realistic visual representation of an actual world in a Zelda game. The lighting and water effects were brilliant for its time and the dark undertone to the style was a nice touch to represent the more mature themes in the game.

Soundtrack: Twilight Princess

No contest in my opinion. I think back, it's been 5 years since I last played either, and I hardly remember any Skyward Sword tracks. On the other hand, I could probably list all of TP's tracks if I wanted to. I put this mainly down to SS's transition into a more orchestrated soundtrack, which didn't exactly enhance the experience, but made you less associate music with key moments in the games.

Story: Twilight Princess

Another no contest. Skyward Sword's plot tried to weave in some really emotional moments, but it's quite often immature tone really made these moments fall flat. TP's darker tone (soundtrack and visual style) fit with its more mature themes. Yes it still had those whimsical Zelda moments, but the it made you feel for characters like Ralis, Colin, Ilia who weren't even main central characters. Then the character development of Midna and her whole arc. It was the most I've ever felt emotionally attached to the story and characters in a Zelda game. That is t saying too much, but still it's the pinnacle. Maybe only Majora's Mask can top it in this aspect.

Overworld: Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword was basically a hub with three levels. A disconnect overworld. More abundant, but not whole and rather claustrophobic at times. TP's Hyrule, while not perfect, was a complete world with transitioning landscapes. The wonder of seeing landmarks off in the distance and knowing you can travel there: Hyrule Castle, Death Mountain, the Bridge of Eldin etc. There was no feeling of that kind of discovery and granduar in Skyward Sword- it's indisputable.

Dungeons - Twilight Princess

TP dungeons did err on the side of bring too easy, but then you have the Lakebed Temple, Snowpeak Ruins and City in the Sky which id name as some of the toughest 3D dungeons in the series. Most of all though, it was the scale of the dungeons. Skyward Sword's dungeons felt underwhelming in scale. I want a dungeon to be something that completely dwarfs me; something that intimidates me; something that I can get lost in.

Bosses: Skyward Sword

Pretty easy. Twilight Princess while having probably the most visually appealing bosses, simultaneously had the worst. They were so mindnumbingly boring and repetitive. It's an insult to have all that build up and to see something so visually daunting turn out to be so weak. Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction of making bosses more dynamic and tactical.

Combat: Twilight Princess

I simply don't like the motion controls. They're tedious. Combat should be fluid, quick and satisfying. Motion controls just don't offer this sort of efficiency. Enemies that should be easy, become a hinderance after your ****ing billionth encounter with them. I found myself actively avoiding combat. Twilight Princess was simplified, but with the addition of sword techniques and Link's movement offered a surprise amount of depth.

Characters: Twilight Princess

Pretty much the same as I said in the story section. I felt more emotionally attached to the characters. Colin being like a younger brother who looks up to you, Ilia being that childhood friend you'll always protect, Midna being that someone who is completely different to you in every way but you still adore. So many characters had this sort of connections and the game weaves plot elements to develop Link's relationship with them. It makes you care so much more about the grand scope. You want to avenge the hurt that Ganondorf and Zabt have caused - you have a motivation. Skyward Sword? I didn't feel particularly attached to anyone bar Zelda who disappeared for most of the game as is custom.

Pacing: Twilight Princess

A tough one because I think both suffer from pacing past the half way point. Difference is, Twilight Princess' story develops more at this stage. Plus Skyward Sword's second half was comprised of retracing your steps. The wonder of adventure and discovery sort of wore off for me. Twilight Princess had that whole plot about the three ancient temples hidden away, which immediately put me back into "let's go adventure some more!".

Last edited:

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I really love Twilight Princess, and it is one of my top three Zelda games. Its graphics, story, characters, and (most of the) dungeons are amazing, and it stands out from the rest of the franchise. However, there are some problems I have with it. For one, the Tears of Light collection segments are tedious and annoying, and Snowpeak Ruins is one of my least favorite dungeons in the entire series. The items in Twilight Princess are decent, but some of them (Spinner, Dominion Rod) only felt useful inside of the dungeon where they were found.

Skyward Sword is by no means a bad game, but it isn't one of my favorites. The art style is okay, the story is somewhat confusing, and the characters are decent. The dungeons themselves are very unique and fun, but I don't enjoy having to backtrack through areas just for the next dungeon. I enjoy the variety of items in SS, like the beetle and whip. The motion controls are kind of annoying, and I would like the game a lot more if it didn't have them.

Also, Midna is waaaaaaay better than Fi as a companion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom