• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Vs Skyward Sword

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
I'm actually a little confused as to which way to bend (lol) on this one. Both games had fantastic qualities about them, and others not so great. Twilight Princess beats out Skyward sword for replayability for me. I've played SS three times and aren't at all inclined to pick it up again anytime soon. Whereas TP, I could pick up right now and happily start playing a new file.

TP did a lot of refining. SS did a lot of "new". Which did what better is all down to preference in the end I guess. I'd probably have to say TP did the refining better than SS did the new. There were some derp moments in there for sure, but it managed to make me enjoy the OoT formula. Which is something I never thought I would. I also really liked what SS brought to the table. But I couldn't help but think "there really was no reason you couldn't have done this better guys" at times. It's the little niggly things like that that have taken their toll on me and made my original impressions fall somewhat. I enjoyed it immensely, but removing that from the picture I can see there are times when the game seems to be baring a few bones where meat really should have been added.

Don't be shy to admit it though guys, WW drives them both into the ground ;)

The thing about Wind Waker is far from the tuth. They all did relatively the same commercially, but TP/SS weren't criticized as much for their graphics, so more people bought those two quicker. The Wind Waker was a good game, but so were Twilight Pricess and Skyward Sword. Wind Waker is a less approachable game because of its artstyle and "Great Sea", whereas TP and SS both have complete land areas, although Twilight Princess did it better then SS. I think their about the same, with SS having a slight edge because it is, as I've said before, the most story-focused game. Their wasn't a moment where I thought to myself "where do I go next?", because you knew where to go.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
I'll answer that question by doing some shameful self promotion:

[video=youtube;J_Y7F_2HopU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Y7F_2HopU&list=UUOA8i1LEJdAvuK71_fHKI_A&index=18&feature=plcp[/video]

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The thing about Wind Waker is far from the tuth. They all did relatively the same commercially, but TP/SS weren't criticized as much for their graphics, so more people bought those two quicker. The Wind Waker was a good game, but so were Twilight Pricess and Skyward Sword. Wind Waker is a less approachable game because of its artstyle and "Great Sea", whereas TP and SS both have complete land areas, although Twilight Princess did it better then SS. I think their about the same, with SS having a slight edge because it is, as I've said before, the most story-focused game. Their wasn't a moment where I thought to myself "where do I go next?", because you knew where to go.

Graphics don't really make a game. But yeah, those graphics really made the Great Sea a lot worse for me. It also really hurt the game's sales. Wind Waker easily had the most advertisement out of any Zelda game I've seen. They were clearly trying to get more players into the series. The game had commercials, demos, and even came with Master Quest. A sizable chunk only bought the game to get Master Quest. Even with all of this advertising, it sold half of what Twilight Princess did and Twilight Princess had little advertisement.

Last edited:

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Graphics don't really make a game. But yeah, those graphics really made the Great Sea a lot worse for me. It also really hurt the game's sails. Wind Waker easily had the most advertisement out of any Zelda game I've seen. They were clearly trying to get more players into the series. The game had commercials, demos, and even came with Master Quest. A sizable chunk only bought the game to get Master Quest. Even with all of this advertising, it sold half of what Twilight Princess did and Twilight Princess had little advertisement.
Believe me, I know graphics don't make games. If I thought that I wouldn't play Zelda. I was simply putting everything into perspective; Wind Waker is far from the best Zelda for two reasons: 1. It had no impact on the Zelda series thatis magnificent. 2. It gets knocked more then most other Zelda games simply for the graphics, so less people were amazed by it. So take that to the bank Charlie Potatoes.
I'm joking.....

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For me, Twilight Princess ousts Skyward Sword in every aspect. Whether it regards the music (which, while the quality may be better in SS' department, it actually means something or at worst is memorable in Twilight Princess' area), the gameplay (which is largely more fun in TP than SS; at least in TP we can make seven different attacks with differing animations rather than the mundane three featured in SS), or even the story itself (TP feels like an ambitious title whereas SS' is likened to that of a fanfic), Twilight Princess is just the better game for me.

Skyward Sword, but I find it surprising how much love TP is getting now. I remember people claiming it was the butt of the Zelda series and now people are hailing it as one of the best :dry:

Amura

Day Dream
Well, for me, TP definitely is the superior game.

I loved traveling around in twilight at the start of the game, collecting tears of light, etc. SS, in my opinion, was... unfinished, in a way. It didn't truly feel like a Zelda game. In TP, you had so much to explore and find. The mini-games were great, and the NPCs were well made. However, In Skyward Sword, although the NPCs were well made (but not as much as TP's), it's mini-games weren't great. Sure, you get to explore on a massive bird, but it feels... limited, in a way.

Either way, TP is superior.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Skyward Sword, but I find it surprising how much love TP is getting now. I remember people claiming it was the butt of the Zelda series and now people are hailing it as one of the best :dry:

Zelda fans are exceptionally predictable in this way. Whenever a new 3D game comes out, they whine and moan about it and then hail the previous game. When Majora's Mask came out, fans hissed and booed at it and praised OoT. When tWW came out, fans hated it and praised the previous games. When TP came out, fans called it horrible and praised tWW. Now we have SS.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zelda fans are exceptionally predictable in this way. Whenever a new 3D game comes out, they whine and moan about it and then hail the previous game. When Majora's Mask came out, fans hissed and booed at it and praised OoT. When tWW came out, fans hated it and praised the previous games. When TP came out, fans called it horrible and praised tWW. Now we have SS.

Otherwise known as the Zelda Cycle.

twilight princess for sure IMO. the game had motion controls but it was not built around them so they worked great, massive open overworld for the most part, more enemy variety, some of the best dungeons the series has ever seen all though they were pretty easy, and mostly i prefer twilight princess because it sticks to tradition and is more like ZELDA game than skyward sword

I voted Skyward Sword and expected it to win by the majority. Turns out it's actually Twilight Princess that's mopping the floor with Skyward Sword now. If even this small display is anything to judge by, Skyward Sword is not nearly the ultimate game Nintendo was cracking it up to be....

But I prefer Skyward Sword for a variety of reasons, though I still hold Twilight Princess as a great game and one that was my favorite video game until some others came along and stole that coveted title. Yes, Skyward Sword has its flaws, and I couldn't help feeling as if some crucial pieces of a beautiful puzzle were missing by the time the credits rolled. The gem that shines through what's left was enough to hook me, though, and it was one heck of an adventure playing through it the first time. I loved the motion controls (even if they were a bit overdone), the increased athleticism and thus control of Link, the interesting dungeon design, the fresh take on the story (yes, a missed opportunity as a prequel, but still engaging), the orchestrated music, and some of the boss battles. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea and I hope Nintendo doesn't make the same mistakes it did with Skyward Sword, but it's still my preference over the already-great Twilight Princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom