• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess vibes from Elden Ring

Worth noting that from software doesnt do this
Even the smallest detail is intentional and has reasoning behind it

any thoughts on Zelda lore youtubers who struggle to make lore videos constantly out of so little material to work with? (thanks to Nintendo not giving much care for the world of Hyrule as far as lore goes)

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
any thoughts on Zelda lore youtubers who struggle to make lore videos constantly out of so little material to work with? (thanks to Nintendo not giving much care for the world of Hyrule as far as lore goes)
It's a product of the two series telling different stories. Zelda is pretty plot focused with memorable scenes and iconic events. Dark souls is all about the characters, not only the NPCs who inhabit Lordran, but the bosses, too. Dark souls feels like a completely different game when you understand who you're fighting and why they have conflicting goals to you. Meanwhile zelda characters are just there to play their roles. Take koloktos from skyward sword and the gaping dragon from DS1. Koloktos we know nothing about, other than it being an obstacle for link. The gaping dragon however is known to be one of the few dragons remaining in Lordran. We know that seath is both aware of and interested in the gaping dragon due to the presence of the channeler above the boss arena. We know that someone, possibly an important person, died fighting the gaping dragon thanks to the clothing found in the room. This kind of obtuse storytelling is omnipresent and unique in dark souls, and seeing it in other games would honestly make dark souls less special

Last edited:
It's a product of the two series telling different stories. Zelda is pretty plot focused with memorable scenes and iconic events. Dark souls is all about the characters, not only the NPCs who inhabit Lordran, but the bosses, too. Dark souls feels like a completely different game when you understand who you're fighting and why they have conflicting goals to you. Meanwhile zelda characters are just there to play their roles. Take koloktos from skyward sword and the gaping dragon from DS1. Koloktos we know nothing about, other than it being an obstacle for link. The gaping dragon however is known to be one of the few dragons remaining in Lordran. We know that death is both aware of and interested in the gaping dragon due to the presence of the channeler above the boss arena. We know that someone, possibly an important person, died fighting the gaping dragon thanks to the clothing found in the room. This kind of obtuse storytelling is omnipresent and unique in dark souls, and seeing it in other games would honestly make dark souls less special

Koloktos was a cannibal. jk. But that whole temple had a great theme that people have made great lore videos on for its Buddhist themes. I think a lot of thought when into that temple whereas not so much in the guardians for BOTW

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Koloktos was a cannibal. jk. But that whole temple had a great theme that people have made great lore videos on for its Buddhist themes. I think a lot of thought when into that temple whereas not so much in the guardians for BOTW
I'm not saying theres nothing to think about within the ancient cistern; koloktos is still a decent mystery (definitely smough in disguise you're right) but theres not a canonical answer to what it's doing there or where it came from like there is in dark souls. Dark souls rewards you for figuring this stuff out and specifically uses placement and environment to act as clues toward a correct answer

I'm not saying theres nothing to think about within the ancient cistern; koloktos is still a decent mystery (definitely smough in disguise you're right) but theres not a canonical answer to what it's doing there or where it came from like there is in dark souls. Dark souls rewards you for figuring this stuff out and specifically uses placement and environment to act as clues toward a correct answer

Yeah, you are right. Miyazaki cares that you discover the lore and rewards the time you put in thinking about the world or the items or the characters. Nintendo doesn't seem to care for its lore theorist because they obviously give very little care for world building or lore building aside from a few minor hints or some of the language on things to be deciphered and even then it's just usually a base description for something and not anything rich or deep or open for debate or interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom