• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twilight Princess-The Sequel

Hypothetically speaking, if Nintendo ever released a sequel to Twilight Princess, I'd be fine with it, as long as it's done right. However, the prospect of a direct sequel isn't good, and here's why.

First off, there was no cliffhanger ending to TP significant enough for a new story. A good cliffhanger ending would have been the perfect foundation from which to build a good, strong story for a direct sequel. Sadly, TP's ending lacked a viable one.

Secondly, take into consideration what additions to the events of TP would actually work. Imagine how pointless TP's ending would seem; its entire purpose would be rendered invalid. Given the circumstances - Midna's big reveal, her return to the Twilight Realm, and her shattering the Mirror - wouldn't a direct sequel essentially ruin TP's ending? What if Link somehow regained access to the Twilight Realm in a proposed direct sequel? How would that be cool? Did you ignore the fact that that particular event is a major part of why TP's ending was great? Direct sequels often equate to anticlimaxes.

Lastly, there's always the off-chance that a direct sequel might be filled to the brim with pointless fanservice. I would really like to see Zant and/or Midna return. However, if their inclusion could potentially ruin the overall plot and story, then I think I'll pass. I don't like the idea of previously main characters being in a sequel just for the sake of being there, or just because "it would be cool." Luckily, for many of us Nintendo doesn't go the pointless fanservice route often in the Zelda series.

As you can see, what I present summarizes why I think a "direct sequel" is not be such a good idea - from various perspectives. Despite all this, I can agree that an indirect sequel a la Majora's Mask, or even a prequel - a role that many believe Skyward Sword may [LOOSELY] serve - could work. But again, it would have to be done right. :yes:

Feel free to challenge my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:

geek4887

The Unknown
Hypothetically speaking, if Nintendo ever released a sequel to Twilight Princess, I'd be fine with it, as long as it's done right. However, the prospect of a direct sequel isn't good, and here's why.

First off, there was no cliffhanger ending to TP significant enough for a new story. A good cliffhanger ending would have been the perfect foundation from which to build a good, strong story for a direct sequel. Sadly, TP's ending lacked a viable one.

Secondly, take into consideration what additions to the events of TP would actually work. Imagine how pointless TP's ending would seem; its entire purpose would be rendered invalid. Given the circumstances - Midna's big reveal, her return to the Twilight Realm, and her shattering the Mirror - wouldn't a direct sequel essentially ruin TP's ending? What if Link somehow regained access to the Twilight Realm in a proposed direct sequel? How would that be cool? Did you ignore the fact that that particular event is a major part of why TP's ending was great? Direct sequels often equate to anticlimaxes.

Lastly, there's always the off-chance that a direct sequel might be filled to the brim with pointless fanservice. I would really like to see Zant and/or Midna return. However, if their inclusion could potentially ruin the overall plot and story, then I think I'll pass. I don't like the idea of previously main characters being in a sequel just for the sake of being there, or just because "it would be cool." Luckily, for many of us Nintendo doesn't go the pointless fanservice route often in the Zelda series.

As you can, what I present summarizes why I think a "direct sequel" is not be such a good idea - from various perspectives. Despite all this, I can agree that an indirect sequel a la Majora's Mask, or even a prequel - a role that many believe Skyward Sword may [LOOSELY] serve - could work. But again, it would have to be done right. :yes:

Feel free to challenge my opinion...
I couldn't challenge your opinion, because I totally agree with you. It seems that everyone thinks I want a direct sequel(although done right, might be good if Nintendo found a good way to follow up an ending like that). I want something they've done with Wind Waker, that they totally got a new story with it, and the game was only influenced by the environment, then other than that, a totally awesome creation. That's what I would want with TP. It doesn't have to be necessarily mainstream. All I wanted is for it to get the same love as WW and OoT, as it was a game deserving of a legacy.

Tp is my favorite game, im 100% and have compleated the cave of ordeals to the end twice, and I chalenged my self by not using recovery items during combat. That being said I would rather them use a different Link in a different part of the time line, expanding on the child timeline because I dont think there is anything to work with still in TP. If people can think of some good Ideas expanding on TPs story, or explain why he left for new land I might change my opinion.

Edit: should have read wolf sage's post before I posted this, i agree with him :P

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom