• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Hatred? Its NOT Fair

I'm far from a TP "hater". It's probably my favorite game in series, actually. But I do think dislike and even hate is justified. Sure, to you and me, it's a great game. But were the both of us waiting in anticipation for nearly three years, following every speck of news that we could get a hold of and watching beta footage over and over until we nearly died of excitement? I know I sure didn't. But there were some long time fans that really did, and I completely understand that it got to a lot of people, and they truly believed the game would be "perfect". It's kinda Nintendo's fault.

I made a thread about this a long time ago, all about how the fans were the only ones that could truly hate TP. And I now understand that it's completely understandable and justified.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
So long as people who hate the game do not hate or put down those of us who like it.

I think this may be part of the reason why I'm avoiding a lot of the information on Zelda Wii. Well, that and knowing that I probably will not get to play it anytime soon, finanaces and lack of appropriate game systems and all. I don't want to get overhyped for when/if I do ever get to play it.

Ardent fans can hate anything. I wasn't into Zelda in a big, online fandom way before I got into TP - but I understand this. I was big into a manga series that fans followed every time a new scrap of manga story came out. Oh, we had all kinds of speculations about the ending... fights with each other and high, high expecations...

When the final part of the manga came out... some of the "fans" were actually *cursing* the creator because they were dissapointed in the ending - it wasn't the ending they were expecting or wanted. Part of the problem was that so many people were expecting a very dark, meloncholy ending and the ending of the story was... well... a bit wacky. It was a throwback to the very first parts of the manga (it was one of those stories that went from wacky to dark, so going back to wacky was just weird for most people).

I gently raised my hand, and along with maybe one or two other people in the *entire* fandom, said "I like this ending." (And even so, I kind of like a fan fiction ending I made for a contest better!)

Hype can ruin the best of things, if you ask me.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Personally I don't really like Twilight Princess as much as the other Zelda titles. It's too sci-fi, Zeruda told me this and I now agree after playing it. It is just too weird.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Honestly, I do not see the "Sci-Fi" in it. Maybe you're talking about visual style - Twilight patterns and all? Or maybe you're talking about the canons, or the Oocca's "lost technology?"

Aside from those being exactly things I find appealing, I don't really see how they're "Sci-Fi." To me, science fiction is things like spaceships and genetic engineering and aliens and Coldsleep. Oh, and Time Travel - *EVILIST of grins* Time Travel in any form is always very sci-fi, quantum physics stuff to me, so in that small way, Ocarina of Time is actually a little "more sci fi" than Twilight Princess for me.

I've seen people argue that the Twili are "aliens." -_- They're not. They're a race descended from exiled sorcerers - as for the other dimension that they're in - they were put there by the Goddesess (hardly sci-fi), and alternate dimensions are nothing new to Zelda. Remember Termina? I like to refer to Majora's Mask as "Link's Alice in Wonderland trip." Alternate worlds are very fantasy, and a staple thereof, not exclusive to sci-fi.

I just don't see the raging "sci-fi" in TP. It all strikes me as fantasy. And maybe even *too* high fantasy at some points as certain aspects of it looked like they'd come right off one of the Lord of the Rings films. (In my old school-ness, I miss Moblins... I like them better than Bulbins/ogres).

I respect anyone's right not to like TP, and I respect Zeruda highly, but that is one thing that she and other folks have been touting that I personally just *do not get.*

Of course, maybe I have a bias... I enjoy weird little niche things like Sci-Fi/Westerns and I wrote a fairly long fanfic that turned Zelda / Hyrule into one - and I put *real* sci fi stuff in it... such as the Zora being held in Coldsleep chambers, and the Goddesses actually being lost spacefarers who'd created all the life on the world that Hyrule rests on via genetic engineeering... and they live in a downed spaceship at the top of a mountain.... I mean, I used *actual* sci-f stuff. Which means, if people think Twilighth Princess is "too sci-fi" (when it's all fantasy to me), why is my fanfic not getting tons of flames from ardent Zelda-fantasy defenders?

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
I don't really know what you're talking about. I mean, I don't see that many people that hate TP. I guess there are a few people that say it was their 3rd favorite,(out of OoT, MM, and TP) but not many.

But, I think it's a great game. I play it almost every chance I get.(not including when I'm on ZD) I liked the story, the characters, the controls, and many other things.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I never touched this thread, but now I feel obligated to because my name just HAD to be brought up.

science fiction–nouna form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

Most of the time, people think "futuristic" when the term sci-fi is mentioned, but just because it's not futuristic doesn't mean it's not sci-fi. For example, the entire Oocca thing seemed very sci-fi to me- not so much in the design of the awkward little creatures themselves, but the design of their... land? Not saying they weren't interesting, because the "history" on them provided by the adorabley nerdy (and handsome! ou la la!) Shad was very interesting... but it still had a science fiction feel to it that followed the exact definition of science fiction. While that may be fine for many games, I did not care too much for it in Zelda.

Likewise, I do not believe that the enemies are aliens, but their designs are very alien-like.
Examples of these are Chilfos, Twilit Bloat, and especially Shadow Beasts. Now, I think the designs are quite unique and interesting, but I personally think they look like something out of an alien flick on the Sci-Fi channel, and personally I don't think it's fitting for Zelda. I know plenty of people like them and think they fit fine, and that's fine, but my opinion is the opposite.

Now, I'm not a TP hater, but I don't have a problem saying that the game is far from being one of my favorites. There are so many reasons as to why: Music composition, overworld and dungeon design, items usefulness (or lack of), plot, Link being overshadowed, Zant, Ganon's cornrows, Zelda's lack of screentime.... there is SO much I could go into detail about, but I'm smart enough to know that doing so would only result in a billion people disagreeing and a billion people agreeing, and then a billion flame-posts that would just be utterly annoying.

Really, there are plenty of reasons to like it, love it, dislike it, hate it, and even feel "meh" about it. It all comes down to the gamers' preferences. Every Zelda game- heck every game period- receives both ridicule and applaud, love and hatred. It just depends on the person playing, and if you get all bent out of shape because somebody likes the game you don't or somebody doesn't like the game you do, then you'll never really have a positive gaming experience.

:>

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Why can't we all get aloooong?~

I can understand why people hate Twilight Princess: no Zelda (hardly), no Ganon/dorf (hardly), Midna taking over the spotlight, lack of decent quests/temples/bosses/etc but COME ON. It's a video game for crying loud! D| Sure, it's my favorite and I might be biased, but sheeeeeesh. All this war for TP is getting out of hand. :1 I agree with you, creator of this board. Make love, not TP hate. -shot'd for being corny- If you dislike TP, fine. If you like it, fine. If you're neutral, fine. We need to stop flaming people. Even the lovers of TP are flaming the haters. It's ridiculous and kinda sad. IT'S A VIDEO GAME. :x We should not treat video game topics like war. Or whatever. |D;

... anyway.
If we gamers keep just /hating/ games because of little details, then we're going to have a very sad careers as video game players. Instead of picking apart each and every bit of detail, let's just play the game and, if we hate it, try not /hate/ people for liking this certain game. Shoving our opinions down people's throats is not kind or wanted, ever. Hating the game is fine; but leave the people who likes said game alone. It just creates uneeded conflict.

Here's a simple solution: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." We need kind to be kind when we say we dislike/love/loath a game.

... :<
There. Enough said.
-shot'd for being rambling & touchy-feely-

Basically, people who hated TP:
- Had too high expectations
- Compared it too heavily to OoT
- Let nostalgia get in the way. So no matter how good TP was, their memories of OoT seemed better.

People who liked TP:
- Didn't listen to the hype
- Haven't played OoT/ Isn't nostalgic about OoT/ Didn't compared to OoT
- Are able to take a game for what it is and enjoy it.

Basically, people who hated TP:
- Had too high expectations
- Compared it too heavily to OoT
- Let nostalgia get in the way. So no matter how good TP was, their memories of OoT seemed better.

The argument that's always going to be made though is going to try and bypass all of those arguments, that TP was just a downright horrible game anyway; even if Nintendo had kept it a secret until the day it came out and revealed absolutely nothing about it, it still was just so bad of a game anyway we'd still hate it.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Unless anyone applies to the three scenarios you mentioned above, I don't see how one could truly be a "hater" of the game. Now, there will always be those who are determined to hate Wii games, determined to hate Zelda games, determined to hate a specific genre, etc. But if you sat someone down who was completely unbiased, I don't think they'd buy into the game being horrible, like the ones who make the above argument do. It's just not that bad of a game or so sloppily put together it's impossible to enjoy. I think you HAVE to be part of the three scenarios if you're truly going to "hate" TP, and like I said in my above post, I think it's completely justified; I don't blame the so-called "haters".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom