• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Hatred? Its NOT Fair

M

Molgera

Twilight Princess is definately my favourite Zelda game, perhaps because I never grew up with Ocarina of Time (rather the two Banjo Kazooie games which are my all-time favourites). The nostalgia one feels when playing a game you loved through your childhood is no doubt one of the main reasons why you have it as a favourite.

However, I can't understand why people think Twilight Princess has a weak story. In fact, I like it way better the story of Ocarina of Time. It reached my heart, and to be honest I can remember some of the scenes gave me goosebumps. It really touched my heart. Midna is probably my favourite character of all the Zelda games I have played (Though, it's not that many). As for gameplay, Ocarina of Time is in my opinion is nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as Twilight Princess does.

All that aside there aren't really any right answers for which game is the best. It all comes down to your personal opinions.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well, I entered the world of Zelda very late. Does this make me a n00b too? Don't even try to say this to me matey! The first zelda game I played and also finished was Phantom Hourglass. And then I played TP but didn't finished it till a couple of weeks ago. Last Summer I bought and played OoT. I love the game and it's amazing but I certainly didn't think it was the greatest ever. I think this is manily because my expectations of OoT were a bit higher (because of all the greatest Game ever stories) and also because I played it like 11 years after it's original release. Had I played it back in 1998 maybe I would have gone nuts about it. But Back to TP; I love the Game. Yes the fields are all open and wide and big and blablabla but there are also many hidden treasures to be found. The Game was a bit easy and some parts of the story were very cheesy but in general I liked it. When it comes to graphics I certainly will place TP on top of my list but when it comes to the Game itself I think WW will be nr 1.
Not bad for a Zelda n00b............................

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Yeah, I think I agree with you. With this it's not really a matter of the games and their actual quality, it comes down to nostalgia and personal preference. I played both OoT and ALttP before Majora's Mask, which is my favorite, but I didn't consider it my favorite right off the bat. I had to think about it for a while.

Exactly. At least for me. When I get my "gamer mode" opinion on, I have to say OoT is the better game due to challenge and interesting puzzles. Adventure of Link is harder because of sheer fight, hard enemies, but I'd say OoT is better because of more puzzles, which are more interesting. Oracle of Ages is also great for difficulty and brain-teasing puzzles. This is sheer "game challenge opinion." Twilight Princess, on the other hand, compared to these games - is easy. I found Wind Waker to be the easiest Zelda game I've played, but Twilight Princess, despite the "epic" looks and setups... has puzzles that are fairly simple (the Guardian puzzle gets me every time, tend to trial and error it, but most others are not too hard), and many of the bosses are depressingly easy to take down. (They *weren't* on my first playthrough, but after facing Bongo Bongo in OoT, most other bosses in any Zelda game are cake)!

I'm trying to get my fiance' into Zelda. He likes to watch me play, and sometimes will take up a point on a game and play through a little without saving, but all he ever does is fiddle around. I've tried to encourage him to go through with his own serious quest. He's played a little of TP on his own file, but mostly just to screw around (LinkBOB likes to chase squirrels and try to run Ilia over with Epona. Quest? What quest)?! I've tried to encourge him on a serious playthrough of a Zelda game and I've steered him toward TP - because... it's fairly easy. I think it is a good starter game for an adult gamer who's not had much gaming or Zelda experience. So maybe it is a "noob" game in a sense, but I really hate the term "noob" - such an annoying insult and it doesn't apply to every TP fan, certainly not to old school me.

However, Twilight Princess is my favorite - and it's because it hits upon specific themes that are very special to me. Link's life is a bit like my life, starting out - I relate to him very well. I love themes of "dark things" and the whole "dark isn't always evil" thing. It goes so far as to... before I played TP, I had written and completed a fantasy novel that featured a werewolf as one of the main characters! (A lady character who discovers her hidden heritage and revels in it because she wishes to "quit humanity.") Even some of the "Western-ish" aspects of TP hit right on the heart for me... having been born and raised in the American Southwest and coming out of a seven-year long obession with a Western-themed anime... TP just really pushed all kinds of buttons for me and came to me at just the right time, so I defend it pretty hard - it is, basically, "The Zelda game that was *unknowingly* made special for Shadsie." Sometimes, insults to TP - to its story and themes, anyway, feel like they're almost insults to *me,* but I keep it in perspective that different story elements appeal to different people and some of the things that I really love just don't appeal to other people. TP does have some very specific themes. Some people (such as me) love them and lap them up. Some people find them off-putting. Some people are indifferent.

As for the hype... Hype can ruin anything. Before I'd played TP, I hadn't been "into" the Zelda series for quite a while, so I didn't really pay attention to the hype like a lot of the ardent fans no doubt did. I saw commercials on TV and thought it looked neat, but, like all the N64 generation stuff I had missed, didn't think I'd ever get to play it, so I didn't pay too much attention to the fandom-hype becuase I was not, then, in the fandom. After getting to play TP, and getting ahold of the classics collector's disk to play OoT... I *had* heard the hype surrounding OoT. I'd entered the fandom through TP, saw people touting how wonderful OoT was, had online friends who were sure it would become my favorite game ... just wild over it... and... I guess it was all the hype, I was expecting a *lot* from OoT, so much, in fact, that it dissapointed me a little. As I said earlier, if I didn't see OoT's hype, I could have better appreciated the game on its own merits, instead of having all these wild expectations for it. I think TP is that way for those longtime-in-the-fandom folks who awaited its release, saw a lot of hype, and got their hopes up.

In any case, it's nothing to worry about. As my good longtime from anime fandom and sometimes co-fanfic-writer buddy says "Everyone has their favorite" (regarding Zelda games). Also, Zelda fandom is what TV Tropes calls an "Unplesable Fanbase." Any new game that comes out is going to have its fans and its detractors - not everyone will be pleased. Morevoer, I think everyone or almost everyone on this board likes all the Zeldas to more or less degree. Like Mases, said, just because a game is on the bottom of his "Zelda series list" - he still loves it as a game in genreal - I think most people here are like that. I think most people here would claim that there really is no such thing as a (Nintendo-made) truly "bad" Zelda game.

Ikana

Trollkastel
People just have different opinions TP was okay for me I only played it two times.Its not my least favorite Zelda game but its on the list the graphics were good but the storyline bugged me for some reason.If you liked it then that's great other people have their own opinions.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Before i get started, i'd like to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, blah blah blah, even though i think they couldn't be wronger than miley cyrus in church. WW was the first game i got, being 6 in 2003. i just got into Zelda recently, and the first game i really got into was TP. i rented it at Blockbuster and was so hooked i played past midnight that day. the older Zelda fans will probably say they like Oot the best, however i think TP was WAAAY better. that might be because i'm only 12 and wasn't even alive when the first Zeldas and Oot came out. i loved the story of TP, and i loved Midna, the Twilight Realm, and everything about the game. But that's JUST MY OPINION.

B

Buttercup

Ok I have a few things to say about this one. One she isn't really treating it like the 'Holy Grail' she was just simply saying it is her favorite and that she likes it better than Oot. Furthermore the thing you said about Tp having 'enormous but VERY empty' fields was kind of strange to me being as Oot's field isn't much different it is just smaller. For example, things you would find in Tp's field: trees, a couple fences, a few hills with rocks, some random water, couple bridges, some monsters, etc. and things you would find in Oot's field: trees, a couple fences, a random brick building in front of Lake Hylia, the lon lon ranch, some hills with rocks, a river, and a couple of monsters, etc. and another, like WW: a bunch of water with islands every where.... and also the very first line that you wrote, she said she played it first but it wasnt the only game that she played she did play Oot she just liked Tp better. Also if you are saying that someone is a noob for playing Tp first, if you think about most people played Oot first and not the original game at least most of the people i know thats how they did it. they played Oot fell in love with it b/c obviously it's an amazing game and then they bought the other games and played them. I will agree with you though that Tp was to easy the boss's were not difficult AT ALL and the dungeons were easy to. Midna was my favorite character so I have to say I agree with you there also but I didn't think that all the characters were dull and i thought that the story plot was actually very good, it made all of the characters lovable and mean something. Not all of the games do that. And about if you love all the games you love the others as well.... um not completely true. We all have our favorites and least favorites and there are a few Zelda games that people don't think are the best. Like Obviously Tp wasn't that great in your opinion but Buttercup thinks it's amazing, and I happen to think that Tp, Oot, and Spirit Tracks are awesome. and I know I am going to get bashed for that comment on Spirit Tracks but I don't care I thought it cool so get over it! Just like everyone should get over Buttercup's opinion on Tp. Cause truthfully it wasn't that bad, might not be as good as Oot I will say that but it wasn't bad. (sorry forgot to put who this was directed to in my last post)

ohh thank you very much =) that was really nice of you =) jajaja but funny, i am actually a HE so you see i was watching the powerpuff girls z and i donno buttercup came into my mind so i used that for my account name...still i am a dude XDD but thanks glad someone sees it the way i see it, i like OOt al ot, but i found myself prefering TP ;) and i didnt find Hyrule filed empty, i actually found it quite cool ;) it was awesome just running around it killing enemies and finding secret hole areas =) and well it was kinda easy but i dont complain. anywasy thanks =)

B

Buttercup

You can't really call people a n00b just because Twilight Princess was their first game. That would be calling several people on this forum, including me, a n00b just because they entered the series late.

I'm not liking where you're going with this. You've already called us n00bs. This statement just automatically says that Twilight Princess is the top game for those who played it first because of your other statement above.

Well, people have their own opinions, but what really bugs me is the fact that we have Zelda fans calling a Zelda game a "game for ***s." I can understand "the worst in the saga," that is merely an opinion, and, as said plenty times before, people are entitled to their own opinions.

I would find that untrue, even though I didn't play OoT when I was a kid, I am pretty certain that the other games that are above it in my list, would still be in their same positions. I found all the other games to be more interesting than OoT, that's why OoT is last on my list. Its all personal preference. I enjoy AoL the most, simply for the side-scrolling and the action, and that one is probably the most shunned in the series because of the side-scrolling and difficulty.

Edit: I just now read some other comments and noticed this:

I figure I should let you know what it is since the term has been mentioned.
A noob, or n00b, however you want to spell it, is someone who lacks skill in a certain game or series. This term is said to, like Shadsie said, "belittle others and flaunt their supposed superiority over subjective things."
In this case, this is not the right term.
There is actually another term that best fits this situation in which the spelling is changed from "n00b" to "newb." Newb would have been the better term because it is just stating that you are "new" to a game or series.

I did not understand the word Noob becasue i am mexican and english isnt my first language. so i am not sure of the meaning of the word, besides. i got over the fact poeple dont like twilgith princess or think i cant play cuz i like TP more than OOT. i just like it better and it makes a great game for me =)

B

Buttercup

Before i get started, i'd like to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, blah blah blah, even though i think they couldn't be wronger than miley cyrus in church. WW was the first game i got, being 6 in 2003. i just got into Zelda recently, and the first game i really got into was TP. i rented it at Blockbuster and was so hooked i played past midnight that day. the older Zelda fans will probably say they like Oot the best, however i think TP was WAAAY better. that might be because i'm only 12 and wasn't even alive when the first Zeldas and Oot came out. i loved the story of TP, and i loved Midna, the Twilight Realm, and everything about the game. But that's JUST MY OPINION.

awesome i like your opinion ;) but i am bit just a bit older than you jajaja i got so hooked on twilight princess omg!! on vacations i wen to bed like 7 am playing TP...and OOt well it was ok. it didnt get me that hoooked, still a good game but TP is so much better at least thtas what i think ;)

B

Buttercup

Well, I entered the world of Zelda very late. Does this make me a n00b too? Don't even try to say this to me matey! The first zelda game I played and also finished was Phantom Hourglass. And then I played TP but didn't finished it till a couple of weeks ago. Last Summer I bought and played OoT. I love the game and it's amazing but I certainly didn't think it was the greatest ever. I think this is manily because my expectations of OoT were a bit higher (because of all the greatest Game ever stories) and also because I played it like 11 years after it's original release. Had I played it back in 1998 maybe I would have gone nuts about it. But Back to TP; I love the Game. Yes the fields are all open and wide and big and blablabla but there are also many hidden treasures to be found. The Game was a bit easy and some parts of the story were very cheesy but in general I liked it. When it comes to graphics I certainly will place TP on top of my list but when it comes to the Game itself I think WW will be nr 1.
Not bad for a Zelda n00b............................

jaja you said brother not bad ;) i also entrered the whole zelda wolrd too late cuz mexico doesnt even get videogames oh i am joking ;) oy are you from england? i used to havea friend who said the word ¨mate¨a lot i dont know if that word is used in other european countries. anyways WW was soo coool ;)

B

Buttercup

Twilight Princess is definately my favourite Zelda game, perhaps because I never grew up with Ocarina of Time (rather the two Banjo Kazooie games which are my all-time favourites). The nostalgia one feels when playing a game you loved through your childhood is no doubt one of the main reasons why you have it as a favourite.

However, I can't understand why people think Twilight Princess has a weak story. In fact, I like it way better the story of Ocarina of Time. It reached my heart, and to be honest I can remember some of the scenes gave me goosebumps. It really touched my heart. Midna is probably my favourite character of all the Zelda games I have played (Though, it's not that many). As for gameplay, Ocarina of Time is in my opinion is nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as Twilight Princess does.

All that aside there aren't really any right answers for which game is the best. It all comes down to your personal opinions.

well said and i understand what you mean because whne i got into the whole part where Llia lost her memory i got so sad not kidding and when princess zelda gave her life for midna i was like daaamn i bet ocarina will giveanything just to top that. right i like TP in every aspect more than ocarina

B

Buttercup

I could probably go on a rant of why you're a n00b for only playing TP first, but I'm nicer than that and there are many people like that out there. Anyways, TP is an okay game, it ain't that great, so don't treat it like the Holly Grail(like the Zelda n00bs do), No Zelda game is to be treated like that, you love one you love every other one you play. And in my opinion, TP is the emptiest Zelda game out there, some parts are really boring, the characters are dull(Except for Midna.) the story makes no sense whatsoever, the dungeons were easy as hell so were the boss battles, the Field was enourmous but VERY empty, that's what people don't like it as much when compared to other great Zelda games like Oot, ALttP, WW, and MM. And like I said, you love one Zelda game, you love the others as well. There is no bowing down to only one game, this ain't Final Fantasy.

well since you´re being...lets see whts the american word for it? umm ASshole about someone playing TP first i will give you the NEWS: some people, in fact A LOT of people thought it was an awesome game, and so what if i workshipp so much more than ocarina? you know i think its pathetic to judge someone´s taste in games adn what is worst its even moe pathetic to be replyng so im just gonna stop the comment now. anyways I like TP more, i thought it was awesome and OHH YEAAAH im gonna say its the BEST DAMN THING EVER in MExico SUck on that MAN!

B

Buttercup

How does playing a recent game in a series make you a noob? I don't get that. My very first game was WW and even then it wasn't until 2007 that I truly enjoyed it. Yet here I am not even three years later, and I'm one of the biggest dang Zelda geeks you'll ever meet, online or in person. In just one real playthrough of WW and one playthrough of OoT, I figured "Hey, I gotta play the rest of the series!" and that I have begun to attempt. Not even three years later after only having three playable Zelda games, my collection has increased to ten games, a third of the entire series. And am I a noob just because I got into it not even three years ago? No I am not. Next time think before you call somebody a noob (lol I quoted Spongbob! :lol:).

I'll agree, nobody should ever treat anything like a Holy Grail. This happens far too often with OoT, and those stuck up people who go "Oh, OoT's the best game ever, it's absolutely perfect, the graphics are flawless, the gameplay is the best ever, and the story is better than anything in the history of gaming." are really missing out and diminishing the potential other games have in the series. I know I exaggerated a little, but whatever you get my point. The fans have to get it through their thick skulls that while liking OoT the most in the series is fine, but thinking nothing will ever live up to it and it's the best thing ever is horribly, horribly sad.

Back on topic, the creator of this thread is not treating TP like the Holy Grail much like Shadsie doesn't treat TP like the Holy Grail and like I don't treat OoT or ST like the Holy Grail (and yes I do like the game that so many of you think is weak better than your supposed "best game in the history of gaming"!). He/she was simply stating her opinion that he/she thinks TP is the best Zelda game and it is by no means a Holy Grail deal. He/she simply like it the best out of them all.

Well, that's your opinion. You can think TP is the weakest game in the series while another can think it is the best in the series.

But you imply that a single Final Fantasy game should be bowed down to. You contradict yourself on this. Why would you not bow down to a game in one series as the best and bow down to a game in another series as the best? That makes no sense. With bowing down to games, it's an all or nothing deal. Either in each series you bow down to one single game as the best ever or you don't do it at all. There's no in between with that sort of thing.

thank you i agree with you ;) its just a matter of personal decision. so i like TP better pfff Sue me for liking it better than ocarina....omgs its the end of the world!!! anyways oOT was good. anyways so i´m He i just havent written on my account XDD Thank you =)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Don't worry about it. I'm an old school Zelda fan who remembers playing the first Legend of Zelda 8-bit game when I was a kid and I liked TP better than OoT. (I do *love* every Zelda game I've played, though).

Since you have a little trouble with English... I'm going to try my Spanish... bear with me, I am out of practice. I took some in high school and I used to live in Arizona - now I live in Pennsylvania so I am not as near the Mexican influences as I used to be. I have been five whole years without access to Mexican Coca-Cola, which is very sad because I like Coke from Mexico more than I like the American version. If Kokiri Kril were still here, she could probably help out better with the language better... here goes...

Primero... lo siento, mi Espanol no es bueno, se poquito, y no se a hacer "~" aqui. "Noob" significa "nuevo." "Nuevo y malo." Significa esta "nuevo de Leyenda de Zelda," signfiica "nuevo y estudpido."

I also lack my Spanish/English dictonary... it's still packed away in a storage locker along with most of my other books from a move. I do not like the term "noob" (no me gusta). It's insulting and mean. Once again, lo siento, mi Espanol es malo, but I hope I helped.

B

Buttercup

Don't worry about it. I'm an old school Zelda fan who remembers playing the first Legend of Zelda 8-bit game when I was a kid and I liked TP better than OoT. (I do *love* every Zelda game I've played, though).

Since you have a little trouble with English... I'm going to try my Spanish... bear with me, I am out of practice. I took some in high school and I used to live in Arizona - now I live in Pennsylvania so I am not as near the Mexican influences as I used to be. I have been five whole years without access to Mexican Coca-Cola, which is very sad because I like Coke from Mexico more than I like the American version. If Kokiri Kril were still here, she could probably help out better with the language better... here goes...

Primero... lo siento, mi Espanol no es bueno, se poquito, y no se a hacer "~" aqui. "Noob" significa "nuevo." "Nuevo y malo." Significa esta "nuevo de Leyenda de Zelda," signfiica "nuevo y estudpido."

I also lack my Spanish/English dictonary... it's still packed away in a storage locker along with most of my other books from a move. I do not like the term "noob" (no me gusta). It's insulting and mean. Once again, lo siento, mi Espanol es malo, but I hope I helped.

omg! thank you so much for trying =) that was really sweet of you. your spanish is good ajajajaj well i have some fmaily living in arizona but i visited once when i was really young like 5 so i can´t remember really well. mostly I´ve only been in California ( lake tajoh, Burlingame, san francisco) seattle and canada USA is pretty awesome i really liked it in there

thanks =)

A

Agatha

I totally understand. It's like, they enjoy the older game so much more because of nostalgia and fond memories of playing it in their younger years, that it becomes this huge standard that new games get compared to, and there's NO WAY the new game can meet that standard. But it's because that standard was built up over so long, so it can't really be beat...

Sigh. Well, forget it. Enjoy your game! Who cares what anybody else thinks! I'm standing by you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom