• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Hatred? Its NOT Fair

B

Buttercup

so Im a new zelda fan yay! so i got my wii a couple of weeks and i didnt know what game to buy, so my best friend said that some of the best games in the bussiness were the The Legend Of Zelda saga so i managed to get twilight Princess, Collectors edition and Wind waker. so ifirst played Twilight Princess and OH MY GOD my reaction was so awesome i was so hooked in the game: the story, the character, the graphics were so smooth and i became a lover of the game, when i finally put the controller down for aa couple of hours i decided to try Ocarin a of time the same day and i thought it was awesome, good game.
thing is when I am asked which game i liked better, I say well i enjo twilight princess peopkle get a bad reaction =( they even start arguing and made fun of otehrs who like twilight princess better than Ocarina of time, i mean both games were great, but i see all this hate twoards Twilight Princess that its not even funny, its not really comfortable having your favorite game be called a ¨game for ***s, the worst one on the saga¨and i really didnt see anything bad on it. so i really want to defend Twilight princess cuz it isnt getting the respect it deserves.
well one funny thing, people tend to say that i felt that way cuz i didnt get to play ocarina of time when i was a kid, and that if i did that Id understand why the hate on twilight princess, but thing is i just receantly discovered The Legend of ZELDa and i got hooked, spelled, on Twilight Princess i think itst he same feeling opeople got when played Ocarina of time whne they were a kids back then. i couldnt wait to get off school and play Twilight Princess, whic i played it way more often that Ocarina of time.
anyways dont be rude if someoen says they like TP over OOT its just a matter of personal preferences and it really DOES hurt that someone says that the game you really love is ¨Bullcrap¨i mean imagine how you´d feel if someone says Ocarina of Time is crap?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
People dont "hate on it" they just have their own opinions like you have yours. Simple as that.

R

Ragdoll

Hey there!

Euh. Well, I have never known that people could be so rude about Twilight Princess. I don't think they really are like that. My first game, Windwaker, was so good for me, because I met for the first time Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and useless characters like Medli, Makar, Deku Three.
So I was total in shock when people said: "Windwaker is an huge mistake of Nintendo. It's a "we-really-should-update-the-serie-now-so-we-have-to-create-a-game-to-keep-the-fans-calm." It's ****."
My friend told me I had to play Ocarina of Time, because that's the "Best game ever."
So I played Ocarina of Time. And it was good. Not special. Just good. I asked my friend why he liked that game that much. "Are you kidding me? It's a masterpiece! Have you seen Gorons in your Windwaker? No! You haven't! Because Windwaker is a fail."
I told him I liked the characters from Windwaker because they are cute. Like those little green Koroks. He sighed and said: "Only a girl could say that the Koroks are cute. Listen, it's not about how 'cute' the game is. It's about the deep story."
I never told him that I haven't seen a 'deep story' in Ocarina of Time. That would certainly make him mad.

One thing is for sure; you only would like the serie when the first Zelda-game you play is good enough. I bet, if you have played Ocarina of Time for the first time, and you liked it; it would definitely become one of your favorite games. Sometimes you would even compare things with the first Zelda-game you played. To be honest; Nintendo never created a fail. People just have to understand other's opinions. Conclusion: Twilight Princess isn't bad. Ocarina of Time isn't bad. Majora's Mask isn't bad, etc. etc. You have to rank for yourself which games of the serie are the best, and which games aren't so enjoyful.

Sorry for my english.

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
@ RAGDOLL Ok first of all Wind Waker had gorons in it... 3 for a matter of fact. The kokiri from OOT are rumored to be the koroks in there original form. When the great flood hapend the kokiri had to get to high ground so they got the ability to fly like the koroks do. Also "Medli, Makar, and The Deku Tree" Are not useless at all.. In fact you need to go to them to beat the game! People say that OOT is so good because it started a new era of LOZ and I agree it is very good almost perfect. But that is my opinion and everyone is entilted to their own opinion. Also nintendo has made a "fail of a LOZ game" Phantom Hourglass really had no point besides the fact that it was a sequel to Wind Waker. But it didnt make sense at all. Then they made Spirit Tracks.

Conclusion: Everyone is entilted to their opinion and people just have to suck it up and deal with it because this is going to happen no matter what anyone does!

R

Ragdoll

jbkarate9
Good afternoon/evening/morning/night, whatever the time's overthere.
1. There are Gorons? I knew they must have been somewhere! My friend compared the Mail-Birds with the Zoras, and the Koroks with the Kokiri. To be honest, we only play the 'red line' of the games: We aren't going to complete quests which don't have a link with the primair quest. (That's why I have skipped a lot in Majora's Mask. Poor Romani. Poor silly gold powder) So no Goron for us.
2.I shouldn't have used the word 'useless'. I mean they are simply random characters. The main characters Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are supposed to be the most important characters from the series. Compare this with a movie like Shrek (I bet you have seen that movie); The main characters; Shrek, Donkey and Fiona. Remember the Lord who wanted to marry Fiona? He's just a random character, but he's featuring a necessary person. The movie can't without him and Windwaker can't without Medli, Makar, and go ahead. And what about Super Mario? Do we need Toad? Yes, we do. Is Toad thát important? No.

Sorry for my english

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I could probably go on a rant of why you're a n00b for only playing TP first, but I'm nicer than that and there are many people like that out there. Anyways, TP is an okay game, it ain't that great, so don't treat it like the Holly Grail(like the Zelda n00bs do), No Zelda game is to be treated like that, you love one you love every other one you play. And in my opinion, TP is the emptiest Zelda game out there, some parts are really boring, the characters are dull(Except for Midna.) the story makes no sense whatsoever, the dungeons were easy as hell so were the boss battles, the Field was enourmous but VERY empty, that's what people don't like it as much when compared to other great Zelda games like Oot, ALttP, WW, and MM. And like I said, you love one Zelda game, you love the others as well. There is no bowing down to only one game, this ain't Final Fantasy.

no people jsut go around nitpicking exhausting every possibility of the game and find minor flaws that affect almost noting in the game and go on and on about it.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I own TP on my Wii, and I must say, if it does get worshiped by anyone it's because of its graphics. Games like OoT and WW are far more superior in story, characters, etc. People have to stop worshiping games just because it has better graphics among all of the others in the same series. Me, and the rest of the staff really don't like TP, and on all of the 13 Zelda games on Mases' list, TP is at the bottom. But like we said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Juxtor

aka. musician_4_life
It is a good game, don't get me wrong but when you are comparing it OoT and WW, and hear in reviews all the time that its the spiritual squeal to OoT. I just don't find it all that compelling when it comes to the storyline, which many of you guys have already said already. When it comes to the Zelda Series, a lot of people look out for story. I mean c'mon. You guys wouldn't be plotting elaborate timelines based on the game play of each game.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I feel the same way about Wind Waker dude. So many people hate it just because of the toony graphics and not only is it my first, but it's also one of my favorites.

And as for the subject of being called crazy for liking TP more than OoT, I actually stand firmly behind you. They're both great games, but it all comes down to personal preference and I'm glad you're not changing your own opinion just because a bunch of people on the internet told you to.

As for the "hate" on TP, it's just that a lot of fans were let down. They thought they were going to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack back in it's development, but Nintendo fell short to deliver it. They thought they were going to have fancy things like actual bow motions for firing the bow, but it turned out to be a point and click deal. They thought the Twilight Realm was going to be in black and white (which I prefered over that of the final product), but it turned out more like real world natural twilight with little black specs in the air. My point is, fans had their hopes up high for TP, but Nintendo just fell short. It's still a great game, but it could've been so much better if Nintendo had more time to do the things that they said they were going to do.

Also, another factor that many Zelda fans dislike about TP is that it supposedly is an OoT remake. I don't get this logic much, but from what I understand many people feel that it is an OoT remake. I don't get this logic at all, again.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
so Im a new zelda fan yay! so i got my wii a couple of weeks and i didnt know what game to buy, so my best friend said that some of the best games in the bussiness were the The Legend Of Zelda saga so i managed to get twilight Princess, Collectors edition and Wind waker. so ifirst played Twilight Princess and OH MY GOD my reaction was so awesome i was so hooked in the game: the story, the character, the graphics were so smooth and i became a lover of the game, when i finally put the controller down for aa couple of hours i decided to try Ocarin a of time the same day and i thought it was awesome, good game.
thing is when I am asked which game i liked better, I say well i enjo twilight princess peopkle get a bad reaction =( they even start arguing and made fun of otehrs who like twilight princess better than Ocarina of time, i mean both games were great, but i see all this hate twoards Twilight Princess that its not even funny, its not really comfortable having your favorite game be called a ¨game for ***s, the worst one on the saga¨and i really didnt see anything bad on it. so i really want to defend Twilight princess cuz it isnt getting the respect it deserves.
well one funny thing, people tend to say that i felt that way cuz i didnt get to play ocarina of time when i was a kid, and that if i did that Id understand why the hate on twilight princess, but thing is i just receantly discovered The Legend of ZELDa and i got hooked, spelled, on Twilight Princess i think itst he same feeling opeople got when played Ocarina of time whne they were a kids back then. i couldnt wait to get off school and play Twilight Princess, whic i played it way more often that Ocarina of time.
anyways dont be rude if someoen says they like TP over OOT its just a matter of personal preferences and it really DOES hurt that someone says that the game you really love is ¨Bullcrap¨i mean imagine how you´d feel if someone says Ocarina of Time is crap?

I don't have time right now to read the other comments, so I'll just reply to the OP.

I feel your pain. Yet, at the same time, I feel like everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No matter what you like, you'll meet people who dislike it - I get into apologetics arguments on other sites with people who think my religion is evil or that reading fantasy makes you silly. Before I got hardcore into Zelda (thanks to Twilight Princess!) I was into a funky little space-western anime and manga series. Some fans preferred the anime (like me), while the majority would continually harp on how the manga was so much better and how (fans of the manga were somehow "better fans") - it got so bad that I *almost refused to read the manga on principle!* because of the stuck up manga fans. I'm glad I did not listen to that impulse because I read the manga and thought it was awesome (while I still loved the anime version of the story).

In Zelda fandom, sometimes, a small part of me wants to hate Ocarina of Time because of the way some of the fans act over it, but I can't... I just can't. It's too awesome a game and I really love the Hero of Time. But I do get annoyed over the hate lobbed at TP on the grounds that "OoT was better" sometimes - and, having played both, objectively, I *do* think OoT is the "better game" - challenge-wise (I found it harder), and it was the foundation for latter games (TP wouldn't have been if OoT didn't come along first) - however, I still like Twilight Princess better - and not just because of the shiny graphics... I love the story and the themes appeal to me in a deep, personal way. (If you'll see some of my other posts on the site, you'll discover my love of animals and... well, much like TP Link, I work on a ranch.. little things like that).

I think, too, that most people get really nostalgic over what they played first - particularly with Zelda because the entire series is great. The very first Zelda game I played was ... the first Zelda game... back when I was 10-11. Replaying an emulated version today... If I'd discovered that game today, I'm not sure I'd like it the same way I like it because it carries so many childhood memories. I have a lot of deep personal attatchments to the original LoZ... even though the graphics are primitive (by today's standards) and the story is extremely simplistic. LoZ is not my favorite Zelda game, TP is... but, I played TP before I got to play OoT, and I wonder, if I had played OoT first, would I have liked it better and would it have its place as my favorite just because nostalgia would override any shortcomings? I don't know.

In other words, don't worry about it too badly. It hurts to see something you like a lot poo-pooed, but everyone has their own preferences and opinions. In any case, at least on Zelda Dungeon, I've never had any of the people who dislike TP dislike, bash on or insult *me* as a person because of it, or treat me lesser over it... (which is refreshing to me, considering how I've been treated in the past over my preferences in other fandoms).

*Having skimmed and read a few of the comments* .... if it makes you feel any better... I personally think that TP has the best story of the Zelda games and ties with Majora's Mask for having the best/most emotion-eliciting characters/ a great cast of NPCs. I am also a novelist. (Now, I am not published yet, but I have written multiple large works, two of which I think are fairly decent and one of which is being reviewed by a literary agent). In other words, stories are my life - and I find TP's story the most attractive.

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Twilight Princess is a good game, IMO. It's just not a GREAT game. I'm probably spoiled to OoT, though.

My real criticism of Twilight Princess, ironically, isn't the gameplay. It's the story. I feel like aside from Midna, none of the other characters have much character development. And to be honest, I didn't trust Midna at all, which probably ruined a lot of the story for me. Compare faceless light spirits and people you only meet once, to the sages all being people you met before they were sages. Finally, I find the whole "farm/village" thing and Ilia being able to stop him from using Epona kind of "hokey."

In terms of gameplay, you can't really hate TP if you liked OoT, because it's almost exactly the same. The only true criticisms I have there are that Link is far too easily blocked from jumping and climbing things he should be able to, the Howling Stones aren't a good substitute for having an Ocarina/learning songs, and in the GC version you can only equip two items at once. Oh, and I'm annoyed that I can't get something like the Biggoron's Sword or different colored Tunics. It makes me feel like I no longer have any control over how I want to use the character, and am just handed the defaults/expected to like them.

There's, finally, a subjective reason. I wasn't able to appreciate the story at all, and thus I focused only on the gameplay. For that reason, it just felt like I was playing a more extreme version of OoT: MQ. It felt like the game didn't stand on it's own.

I hope that helps you understand why some people don't like TP.

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
Like everyone else stated, most people are going to say the best game is the one they played first or the one people tell them is the best. This site being mostly teens, you'll see a lot of favoritism shown for OoT. If you were to talk to the older members, they'll say one of the older 2D games. I'm no exception. My favorite is the one I first played, that is A Link to the Past. Its one of the most difficult LoZ games out there. Not as hard as AoL, in my opinion, but still fairly difficult.

That being said, TP is fairly new, so most people here played LoZ for a few years before playing TP. So they had really high standards and hopes because of the previous LoZ games. TP changed the graphics of LoZ, but the story line was somewhat weak, and it lacked side quests. The biggest thing LoZ fans have against it is the easiness. TP was very easy to beat and fight baddies. A lot of LoZ fans dislike it, especially the older ones who first played the 2D series. Most people I know agree the 2D LoZ games are harder.

Don't feel bad for liking TP a lot and having it be your first LoZ game. It means Nintendo did their job right! That was Nintendo's main goal with TP is to pull a lot of newer fans into the LoZ fan base. It explains why they amped the graphics, and made it incredible easy to beat. One side note, I really like WW. It too, is also one of my favorite LoZ games. Growing up with 2D graphics, I'm not one to judge a game based of graphics. The cell shading graphics didn't bug me, and I really enjoyed WW storyline.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I don't know why no one else has said this, but perhaps you should check your spelling and grammar. I'm not taking you any less serious because of it, I'm just telling you this so a jerk doesn't appear and insult you for it.

Now for starters, humans have opinions. There is nothing you can do about that. The thing that people probably have against Twilight Princess is because it's very, very similar to Ocarina. So when you are dealing with older gamers who played Ocarina first, they will not think highly of Twilight Princess. However, if we got people like you who played Twilight Princess first, then the whole thing switches around.

Also, Twilight Princess, despite being a good game, is not the best in the series. Gameplay wise, who can really complain? It's the same as Ocarina even it comes to gameplay, other than revamping a few things. The graphics, though nice and new, were very generic (excluding the Twilight sections.)

However, Twilight Princess did make use of it's higher graphics to try and be more cinematic and convey it's story better. I will give it points for having a better story than Ocarina as well. A mix of romance with adventure and tension, very good. It's just second to Majora's Mask's story for me, and that gets a plus.

Other people will make opinions you don't like and it's ok to disagree. However, unless they were disrespecting you directly maybe it's not best to go and write about how you dislike their opinion. It's like us fans when Gamespot gave Twilight Princess and 8.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom