• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Hatred? Its NOT Fair

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Having come home from work and having more time to compose a reply... and thinking about this topic...

"What is the best Zelda game" arguments are always going to be like "What pet is better? Cats or Dogs?" - it will always come down to "which is better for you, personally" rather than having any kind of objective answer.

That said, I don't like some of the sterotypes given to TP fans. I break several. I'm good at that, I think... my existance breaks sterotypes in many areas. I like TP and here are a few things that I am not:

A Noob: I hate that term, "noob" - people throw it around to belittle others and flaunt their supposed superiority over subjective things. I've been playing LoZ since before many people on this board were born. I'm one of the 2D generation. Now, I grew up on the original Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link. Several years later, I got to play A Link to the Past. I missed out on the most lauded games in the series and played TP when I was given it, along with a used GameCube as a birthday present a couple of years ago. It was only after I'd played TP that I got to play Ocarina of Time, sure, but, it still stands that I wasn't a "noob" to the Zelda series at all - I remember the NES system when it was *new* and LoZ when it was *new,* ya young whippersnappers.

Emo: I've seen it said that "people like TP only because of the dark" and stuff about "emo." I've seen fellow fans that I otherwise have a great respect for say things like this and it drives me up a friggin' wall. Now, I do like dark things (for this reason, I was expecting that Majora's Mask would dethrone TP as top Zelda game for me when I got to play it - which it didn't *only* because of a specific gameplay issue)... but just becausee I like a little darkness and grit in with a good fantasy story doesn't mean I'm "emo." In fact, I had to have a friend *explain* the Emo-subculture to me because I was unfamiliar with it. I'm the type who can enjoy "The X-Files" and "SpongeBob Squarepants" easily.

A Casual Gamer: Okay, so this one might be a little fudge... I really don't know where I fall on the "gamer spectrum." I consider myself more of a "scavenger gamer" with a healty dose of "retro gamer" thrown in. I have never been able to afford to get the latest gaming equipment as it comes out. Most of my gaming stuff has been gifted to me, and often 5-10 years after it was popular, which is okay by me because gaming is not my primary hobby (art and writing are my primary hobbies, that which I'm serious about). Still, if I ever get a Wii, I doubt it will be to get fit because I get enough good, hard excercise at my current job. And I've played and beaten some of those old school "Nintendo Hard" games - truly hard games. I've beaten Adventure of Link multiple times and scratch my head a little when I see serious Zelda fans talk about how impossible it is. I've given people here tips! So, I don't really know where I stand. I don't get to play many video games, including many of the popular ones at time of release, and gaming's not my "main thing," but I do enjoy really challenging games and beaten ones that some self-proclaimed hardcore gamers seem to think are impossible.

Now that that's out of the way... I hope people think before they sterotype another fan based upon what game is their favorite. Even if TP is the "first and only" someone has played... so what? It's a good chance that they'll pick up other games in the series and see how wonderful they are. And, even if said gamer decides, in the end, that they still like TP better? So what?

While TP was far from my first Zelda game, I did play it before I played OoT. I had people - friends... talk about how wonderful OoT was, and how they were sure "If you like TP, you'll love OoT/like it even more." I played OoT, and it is an awesome game, but I felt a little dissapointed because of all the hype about how it was supposedly so much better. I was like "I still like TP more. Is there something WRONG with me?" If folks had just talked about how great OoT was without being so sure that it would unseat TP for me, maybe I actually wouldn't have had the touch of dissapointment that I did have - if I was left to take the game alone without the comparisons, I might have found them equal in my heart, instead, I was like "This doesn't unseat my favorite like it was supposed to. What's wrong?"

And, I think that I must have come out of my experiences an intelligent, articulate person, despite preferring the less popular game... or at least my reputation bar seems to say that all y'all like me.

B

Buttercup

I don't know why no one else has said this, but perhaps you should check your spelling and grammar. I'm not taking you any less serious because of it, I'm just telling you this so a jerk doesn't appear and insult you for it.

Now for starters, humans have opinions. There is nothing you can do about that. The thing that people probably have against Twilight Princess is because it's very, very similar to Ocarina. So when you are dealing with older gamers who played Ocarina first, they will not think highly of Twilight Princess. However, if we got people like you who played Twilight Princess first, then the whole thing switches around.

Also, Twilight Princess, despite being a good game, is not the best in the series. Gameplay wise, who can really complain? It's the same as Ocarina even it comes to gameplay, other than revamping a few things. The graphics, though nice and new, were very generic (excluding the Twilight sections.)

However, Twilight Princess did make use of it's higher graphics to try and be more cinematic and convey it's story better. I will give it points for having a better story than Ocarina as well. A mix of romance with adventure and tension, very good. It's just second to Majora's Mask's story for me, and that gets a plus.

Other people will make opinions you don't like and it's ok to disagree. However, unless they were disrespecting you directly maybe it's not best to go and write about how you dislike their opinion. It's like us fans when Gamespot gave Twilight Princess and 8.5.

well my grammar isnt as good as yours is because English isn´t my mother languaje ,its actually my third, because I am Mexican.
anyways, well I guess I just like twilight Princess Over Ocarina of time. That´s just it.

I feel the same way about Wind Waker dude. So many people hate it just because of the toony graphics and not only is it my first, but it's also one of my favorites.

And as for the subject of being called crazy for liking TP more than OoT, I actually stand firmly behind you. They're both great games, but it all comes down to personal preference and I'm glad you're not changing your own opinion just because a bunch of people on the internet told you to.

As for the "hate" on TP, it's just that a lot of fans were let down. They thought they were going to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack back in it's development, but Nintendo fell short to deliver it. They thought they were going to have fancy things like actual bow motions for firing the bow, but it turned out to be a point and click deal. They thought the Twilight Realm was going to be in black and white (which I prefered over that of the final product), but it turned out more like real world natural twilight with little black specs in the air. My point is, fans had their hopes up high for TP, but Nintendo just fell short. It's still a great game, but it could've been so much better if Nintendo had more time to do the things that they said they were going to do.

Also, another factor that many Zelda fans dislike about TP is that it supposedly is an OoT remake. I don't get this logic much, but from what I understand many people feel that it is an OoT remake. I don't get this logic at all, again.

yeah. Thanks You sure are right Guess I just like TP better. well as I am playing both, i don´t see TP as a remake of OOT, well there are some similarities, things they got in common, but not completly the same, i read that even OOt is the 3D version of a Link to the past

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TMMay

IMO, Twilight Princess was okay, perhaps not the greatest game. Some people like it and others don't. It is also the same with Ocarina of Time. While some people like OoT better than TP and for others it is vice versa, it just depends on the kind of person you are. But not everyone hates TP, just so you know.

B

Buttercup

I don't have time right now to read the other comments, so I'll just reply to the OP.

I feel your pain. Yet, at the same time, I feel like everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No matter what you like, you'll meet people who dislike it - I get into apologetics arguments on other sites with people who think my religion is evil or that reading fantasy makes you silly. Before I got hardcore into Zelda (thanks to Twilight Princess!) I was into a funky little space-western anime and manga series. Some fans preferred the anime (like me), while the majority would continually harp on how the manga was so much better and how (fans of the manga were somehow "better fans") - it got so bad that I *almost refused to read the manga on principle!* because of the stuck up manga fans. I'm glad I did not listen to that impulse because I read the manga and thought it was awesome (while I still loved the anime version of the story).

In Zelda fandom, sometimes, a small part of me wants to hate Ocarina of Time because of the way some of the fans act over it, but I can't... I just can't. It's too awesome a game and I really love the Hero of Time. But I do get annoyed over the hate lobbed at TP on the grounds that "OoT was better" sometimes - and, having played both, objectively, I *do* think OoT is the "better game" - challenge-wise (I found it harder), and it was the foundation for latter games (TP wouldn't have been if OoT didn't come along first) - however, I still like Twilight Princess better - and not just because of the shiny graphics... I love the story and the themes appeal to me in a deep, personal way. (If you'll see some of my other posts on the site, you'll discover my love of animals and... well, much like TP Link, I work on a ranch.. little things like that).

I think, too, that most people get really nostalgic over what they played first - particularly with Zelda because the entire series is great. The very first Zelda game I played was ... the first Zelda game... back when I was 10-11. Replaying an emulated version today... If I'd discovered that game today, I'm not sure I'd like it the same way I like it because it carries so many childhood memories. I have a lot of deep personal attatchments to the original LoZ... even though the graphics are primitive (by today's standards) and the story is extremely simplistic. LoZ is not my favorite Zelda game, TP is... but, I played TP before I got to play OoT, and I wonder, if I had played OoT first, would I have liked it better and would it have its place as my favorite just because nostalgia would override any shortcomings? I don't know.

In other words, don't worry about it too badly. It hurts to see something you like a lot poo-pooed, but everyone has their own preferences and opinions. In any case, at least on Zelda Dungeon, I've never had any of the people who dislike TP dislike, bash on or insult *me* as a person because of it, or treat me lesser over it... (which is refreshing to me, considering how I've been treated in the past over my preferences in other fandoms).

*Having skimmed and read a few of the comments* .... if it makes you feel any better... I personally think that TP has the best story of the Zelda games and ties with Majora's Mask for having the best/most emotion-eliciting characters/ a great cast of NPCs. I am also a novelist. (Now, I am not published yet, but I have written multiple large works, two of which I think are fairly decent and one of which is being reviewed by a literary agent). In other words, stories are my life - and I find TP's story the most attractive.

really? Its so awesome that you work on a ranch its pretty cool, you know I live Near by the sea in Mexico and visit the Mountain ranch on vacations which i found it extremely relaxing and peaceful. you reply was really kind thank you very much, i am glad you gave your opinion the nicest way possible without having to use call names or say Noobs or something like that, well it wount bother me because i dont undertsand the meaning of the word, anyways its a nice reply Thank you very much =)

M

~Midna~

I could probably go on a rant of why you're a n00b for only playing TP first, but I'm nicer than that and there are many people like that out there. Anyways, TP is an okay game, it ain't that great, so don't treat it like the Holly Grail(like the Zelda n00bs do), No Zelda game is to be treated like that, you love one you love every other one you play. And in my opinion, TP is the emptiest Zelda game out there, some parts are really boring, the characters are dull(Except for Midna.) the story makes no sense whatsoever, the dungeons were easy as hell so were the boss battles, the Field was enourmous but VERY empty, that's what people don't like it as much when compared to other great Zelda games like Oot, ALttP, WW, and MM. And like I said, you love one Zelda game, you love the others as well. There is no bowing down to only one game, this ain't Final Fantasy.

Ok I have a few things to say about this one. One she isn't really treating it like the 'Holy Grail' she was just simply saying it is her favorite and that she likes it better than Oot. Furthermore the thing you said about Tp having 'enormous but VERY empty' fields was kind of strange to me being as Oot's field isn't much different it is just smaller. For example, things you would find in Tp's field: trees, a couple fences, a few hills with rocks, some random water, couple bridges, some monsters, etc. and things you would find in Oot's field: trees, a couple fences, a random brick building in front of Lake Hylia, the lon lon ranch, some hills with rocks, a river, and a couple of monsters, etc. and another, like WW: a bunch of water with islands every where.... and also the very first line that you wrote, she said she played it first but it wasnt the only game that she played she did play Oot she just liked Tp better. Also if you are saying that someone is a noob for playing Tp first, if you think about most people played Oot first and not the original game at least most of the people i know thats how they did it. they played Oot fell in love with it b/c obviously it's an amazing game and then they bought the other games and played them. I will agree with you though that Tp was to easy the boss's were not difficult AT ALL and the dungeons were easy to. Midna was my favorite character so I have to say I agree with you there also but I didn't think that all the characters were dull and i thought that the story plot was actually very good, it made all of the characters lovable and mean something. Not all of the games do that. And about if you love all the games you love the others as well.... um not completely true. We all have our favorites and least favorites and there are a few Zelda games that people don't think are the best. Like Obviously Tp wasn't that great in your opinion but Buttercup thinks it's amazing, and I happen to think that Tp, Oot, and Spirit Tracks are awesome. and I know I am going to get bashed for that comment on Spirit Tracks but I don't care I thought it cool so get over it! Just like everyone should get over Buttercup's opinion on Tp. Cause truthfully it wasn't that bad, might not be as good as Oot I will say that but it wasn't bad. (sorry forgot to put who this was directed to in my last post)

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I didn't love TP, but I didn't hate it. Let's just say there were some things in it that I hated, and some things in it that I liked, but nothing that I actually loved. Some things I hated was that the whole thing was just doing what... You know I already said all of it in another post. A lot of people hate MM, which is my personal favorite. You can't say that we (people who don't like it) aren't giving it the respect it deserves. Cause if you like it, you can like it. Just because you like it, doesn't mean people have to give it respect. If someone said they didn't like MM (and I've had a TON of people say that) I can't say that they're not giving it the respect it deserves, they can be not giving it respect, but it doesn't deserve respect.

I could probably go on a rant of why you're a n00b for only playing TP first, but I'm nicer than that and there are many people like that out there.
You can't really call people a n00b just because Twilight Princess was their first game. That would be calling several people on this forum, including me, a n00b just because they entered the series late.
Anyways, TP is an okay game, it ain't that great, so don't treat it like the Holly Grail(like the Zelda n00bs do)
I'm not liking where you're going with this. You've already called us n00bs. This statement just automatically says that Twilight Princess is the top game for those who played it first because of your other statement above.

thing is when I am asked which game i liked better, I say well i enjo twilight princess peopkle get a bad reaction =( they even start arguing and made fun of otehrs who like twilight princess better than Ocarina of time, i mean both games were great, but i see all this hate twoards Twilight Princess that its not even funny, its not really comfortable having your favorite game be called a ¨game for ***s, the worst one on the saga¨and i really didnt see anything bad on it. so i really want to defend Twilight princess cuz it isnt getting the respect it deserves.
Well, people have their own opinions, but what really bugs me is the fact that we have Zelda fans calling a Zelda game a "game for ***s." I can understand "the worst in the saga," that is merely an opinion, and, as said plenty times before, people are entitled to their own opinions.
well one funny thing, people tend to say that i felt that way cuz i didnt get to play ocarina of time when i was a kid, and that if i did that Id understand why the hate on twilight princess, but thing is i just receantly discovered The Legend of ZELDa and i got hooked, spelled, on Twilight Princess i think itst he same feeling opeople got when played Ocarina of time whne they were a kids back then. i couldnt wait to get off school and play Twilight Princess, whic i played it way more often that Ocarina of time.
I would find that untrue, even though I didn't play OoT when I was a kid, I am pretty certain that the other games that are above it in my list, would still be in their same positions. I found all the other games to be more interesting than OoT, that's why OoT is last on my list. Its all personal preference. I enjoy AoL the most, simply for the side-scrolling and the action, and that one is probably the most shunned in the series because of the side-scrolling and difficulty.

Edit: I just now read some other comments and noticed this:
say Noobs or something like that, well it wount bother me because i dont undertsand the meaning of the word, anyways its a nice reply Thank you very much =)
I figure I should let you know what it is since the term has been mentioned.
A noob, or n00b, however you want to spell it, is someone who lacks skill in a certain game or series. This term is said to, like Shadsie said, "belittle others and flaunt their supposed superiority over subjective things."
In this case, this is not the right term.
There is actually another term that best fits this situation in which the spelling is changed from "n00b" to "newb." Newb would have been the better term because it is just stating that you are "new" to a game or series.

Last edited:
R

Ragdoll

People say that OOT is so good because it started a new era of LOZ and I agree it is very good almost perfect
And so did Twilight Princess. And so did Windwaker. Please, did the generation before you call YOU noobs, because you loved Ocarina of Time that much?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Side-note: Pocket Asian... I really like that you have AoL as your favorite! That's unusual!

TP may be my personal top (as I've already mentioned), but, as an old school gamer from "back in the day," I really like to see appreciation for the classics. I liked AoL a lot, too and I've often felt a little weird for it because it is one of the least popular Zelda games, the "black sheep" as I've seen it called on ZeldaWiki. A lot of people don't like it because of the side scrolling and the leveling up - and those things were abandoned in future Zelda titiles, but I think it makes going back to play AoL refreshing.

Just always glad to see that I'm not the only one who liked it.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Keeping things simple... If you started the series with Twilight Princess then by all means does it make perfect sense for it to be hard to understand why others don't like it. It's very hard for a lot of people to put themselves in the shoes of people from 10-20 years ago when older Zelda games were brand new.

There's also another thing to keep in mind. We are all Zelda fans, so even though we might state one game is worse than another, we aren't necessarily saying it's a bad game. For example, I'm one of the people you might be able to label as 'Twilight Princess Haters' in a way. I didn't like the game for a lot of reasons. Of the 13 major single player Zelda titles to date, Twilight Princess is certainly #13 on my list. That being said, it's probably in my top 3 Wii games that I have and I'd certainly put it in my top 50 games of all time.

So while it might be a game that I don't consider as good as the other Zelda games, in the grand scheme of things when comparing it to all games that I've ever played... it is one of the best.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
To the OP - at the risk of stating the obvious, consider mentally adding "in my opinion" to anyone stating that it's "not that great a game", etc. Because truthfully, most people realize it's just personal preference. And those who don't you can usually tell them right away, which helps you to ignore them in the future. :P If someone is really, truly judging you based on an entertainment choice, the problem is with them, not you. So if someone is trying to "harsh your squee" (meaning to ruin your enjoyment), try to find someone who shares your "squee" instead. For example, feel free to friend me or message me sometime if you'd like to chat TP. :-)

Specifically referring to Zelda, I also liked the point Mases had about a fan potentially ranking the game low on a Zelda list but high on an all-game list. The Zelda game spectrum is becoming so large and varied that it's less likely the newest games will become someone's favorite just because there are so many to choose from now. But there's still (probably) something about the series that they enjoy.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't really like TP (Well from my experience) as much as several other games like OoT because they see TP as having an over used plot...which makes me laugh considering the entire franchise has an over used plot. Other reasons are that people just didn't really like things in the games that they thought mattered, I've heard of people disliking the game beecause they disliked the entire sections where you are a Wolf. Another reason I've heard that I thought was pretty harsh was that they didn't like the style of graphics used in the twilight areas and preffered the graphics used (I think) on an earlier beta version.

As some have said though, it's not really hate for the game, it's the fact that in their opinion TP isn't as great as the other Zelda's out there, like Mases said he thinks that TP is the worst Zelda out of the 13 main Zelda games yet the game is placed in his top 3 wii games (all though that's not really saying much considering that console has the poorest games library I've ever seen) and top 50 games of all time (Which is saying something, as far as I'm aware Mases is a well experienced man in the subject of gaming). It's not really hate, it's just the fact that TP is going up against some of the greatest games of all time and it's hard to play up to, especially considering that since around 2003 (or even before that) most games have become stupidly easy to beat.

Personally, I think TP is an excellent game and is probably in my top 50 games to (it does have excellent competition, I like to see my self as a fairly experienced gamer and it has to go up against the likes of OoT, Doom, Pokemon, CoD, Halo, Gears of War..etc, you get my point) which is probably quite a tough list to get into.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I could probably go on a rant of why you're a n00b for only playing TP first, but I'm nicer than that and there are many people like that out there.

How does playing a recent game in a series make you a noob? I don't get that. My very first game was WW and even then it wasn't until 2007 that I truly enjoyed it. Yet here I am not even three years later, and I'm one of the biggest dang Zelda geeks you'll ever meet, online or in person. In just one real playthrough of WW and one playthrough of OoT, I figured "Hey, I gotta play the rest of the series!" and that I have begun to attempt. Not even three years later after only having three playable Zelda games, my collection has increased to ten games, a third of the entire series. And am I a noob just because I got into it not even three years ago? No I am not. Next time think before you call somebody a noob (lol I quoted Spongbob! :lol:).

Anyways, TP is an okay game, it ain't that great, so don't treat it like the Holly Grail(like the Zelda n00bs do), No Zelda game is to be treated like that, you love one you love every other one you play.

I'll agree, nobody should ever treat anything like a Holy Grail. This happens far too often with OoT, and those stuck up people who go "Oh, OoT's the best game ever, it's absolutely perfect, the graphics are flawless, the gameplay is the best ever, and the story is better than anything in the history of gaming." are really missing out and diminishing the potential other games have in the series. I know I exaggerated a little, but whatever you get my point. The fans have to get it through their thick skulls that while liking OoT the most in the series is fine, but thinking nothing will ever live up to it and it's the best thing ever is horribly, horribly sad.

Back on topic, the creator of this thread is not treating TP like the Holy Grail much like Shadsie doesn't treat TP like the Holy Grail and like I don't treat OoT or ST like the Holy Grail (and yes I do like the game that so many of you think is weak better than your supposed "best game in the history of gaming"!). He/she was simply stating her opinion that he/she thinks TP is the best Zelda game and it is by no means a Holy Grail deal. He/she simply like it the best out of them all.

And in my opinion, TP is the emptiest Zelda game out there, some parts are really boring, the characters are dull(Except for Midna.) the story makes no sense whatsoever, the dungeons were easy as hell so were the boss battles, the Field was enourmous but VERY empty, that's what people don't like it as much when compared to other great Zelda games like Oot, ALttP, WW, and MM. And like I said, you love one Zelda game, you love the others as well. There is no bowing down to only one game, this ain't Final Fantasy.

Well, that's your opinion. You can think TP is the weakest game in the series while another can think it is the best in the series.

But you imply that a single Final Fantasy game should be bowed down to. You contradict yourself on this. Why would you not bow down to a game in one series as the best and bow down to a game in another series as the best? That makes no sense. With bowing down to games, it's an all or nothing deal. Either in each series you bow down to one single game as the best ever or you don't do it at all. There's no in between with that sort of thing.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
It's not necessarily hatred on my part. It's more of a disappointment. The game simply did not live up to the hype that it had created.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again right now. They should have stuck with the beta TP.

1. There are Gorons? I knew they must have been somewhere! My friend compared the Mail-Birds with the Zoras, and the Koroks with the Kokiri.
Yeah, there are three "Traveling Merchants" on certain islands, usually floating on big rafts (only one is on the land), and if you look at them carefully you can see that they're gorons. ;)

And yeah, it's been proven that the Zora actually evolved into the Rito (mailmen birds) and the Kokiri changed into the Koroks.

In Zelda fandom, sometimes, a small part of me wants to hate Ocarina of Time because of the way some of the fans act over it, but I can't... I just can't. It's too awesome a game and I really love the Hero of Time. But I do get annoyed over the hate lobbed at TP on the grounds that "OoT was better" sometimes - and, having played both, objectively, I *do* think OoT is the "better game" - challenge-wise (I found it harder), and it was the foundation for latter games (TP wouldn't have been if OoT didn't come along first) - however, I still like Twilight Princess better - and not just because of the shiny graphics... I love the story and the themes appeal to me in a deep, personal way. (If you'll see some of my other posts on the site, you'll discover my love of animals and... well, much like TP Link, I work on a ranch.. little things like that).

I think, too, that most people get really nostalgic over what they played first - particularly with Zelda because the entire series is great. The very first Zelda game I played was ... the first Zelda game... back when I was 10-11. Replaying an emulated version today... If I'd discovered that game today, I'm not sure I'd like it the same way I like it because it carries so many childhood memories. I have a lot of deep personal attatchments to the original LoZ... even though the graphics are primitive (by today's standards) and the story is extremely simplistic. LoZ is not my favorite Zelda game, TP is... but, I played TP before I got to play OoT, and I wonder, if I had played OoT first, would I have liked it better and would it have its place as my favorite just because nostalgia would override any shortcomings? I don't know.
I think the whole thing about Ocarina of Time being a foundation for the series is a real prime reason it's regarded so high. Additionally, it's broad story and capability to reach a bigger range of people. OoT's story was something that could easily appeal to people, whereas other games in the series have stories that home in more on certain things. It was also a balanced game in term of length, difficulty, gameplay, etc....

Yeah, I think I agree with you. With this it's not really a matter of the games and their actual quality, it comes down to nostalgia and personal preference. I played both OoT and ALttP before Majora's Mask, which is my favorite, but I didn't consider it my favorite right off the bat. I had to think about it for a while.

Furthermore the thing you said about Tp having 'enormous but VERY empty' fields was kind of strange to me being as Oot's field isn't much different it is just smaller. For example, things you would find in Tp's field: trees, a couple fences, a few hills with rocks, some random water, couple bridges, some monsters, etc. and things you would find in Oot's field: trees, a couple fences, a random brick building in front of Lake Hylia, the lon lon ranch, some hills with rocks, a river, and a couple of monsters, etc. and another, like WW: a bunch of water with islands every where....
I think what he's getting at is the field in Twilight Princess was very empty. It had a massive size, but it was mostly wasted space in that the content was really disproportionate to the area. In Ocarina of Time, you're right, the content was basically the same, but the size was smaller so it filled the field up more appropriately... at least in my opinion.

And yeah, The Wind Waker probably had the worst overworld in terms of that, though I think the discussion is more oriented to TP vs OoT, not the series in general. ;)

And so did Twilight Princess. And so did Windwaker. Please, did the generation before you call YOU noobs, because you loved Ocarina of Time that much?
I think you're misunderstanding him. Ocarina of Time, in reality, did something that no other game in the series has done (with the exception of the original Legend of Zelda), and that's basically found the way the series plays. Literally every game since OoT has followed it's gameplay mold, with the only exceptions following the mold of previous games like ALttP. In terms of modern Zelda, OoT is basically the father.

That doesn't make it superior, necessarily, but it definitely deserves credit for that. And realistically that's probably a major reason it's regarded so highly.

It's not necessarily hatred on my part. It's more of a disappointment. The game simply did not live up to the hype that it had created.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again right now. They should have stuck with the beta TP.
I agree. They hyped the game so much that it was impossible for the end product to meet it. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, but it means it's automatically going to be less than people's expectations.

Another thing is that amongst that hype, TP was basically regarded as an "OoT-killer" in a way. Even the game's structure followed this idea, as it borrowed a lot of OoT's ideas. Again, doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it sets it up for comparison with OoT. In a way, that makes it destined to fail because of how nostalgic and revolutionary OoT was.

As sort of a final note... I definitely didn't like TP as much as many of the other games, including OoT. There's some of the reasons I stated earlier in my post, but also... TP tried a lot of things, and just in some ways I felt it didn't live up to the hype, but also not the earlier titles in the series. There were things in the game that deviated too much from the series' lore and classic elements, and that's something I personally do not like.

It also continued with most of WW's problems, one of which is that it was way too easy. However, I do believe it improved slightly, because I like TP over WW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom