• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Has the Most Amazing Overworld of Any Zelda Game

Megamannt125

Blue Link
You can't truly enjoy this game until you walk around all of Hyrule Field on foot, it's wonderful, behind this games overall easy dungeons, enemies, and bosses, there is beauty, this game's overworld is a true work of gaming art. The canyons, the forests, the mountains, even the grass and small ponds, it all makes up a very majestic virtual land, you can truly experience Hyrule. Just walking around and looking over at Hyrule castle in the distance as the sun rises, i'm glad I gave this game another chance. Not only is the gorgeous landscape beautifal, but so is the music, whether it's day or night, you get a feeling of exploration, adventure, and beauty as you traverse the majestic land of Hyrule.
If Zelda Wii's overworld is anything like TP's I will be happy.
A Zelda game with ALTTP's difficulty, TP's overworld, MM's sidequests, WW's sense of exploration, and finally OOT's great story, that would be the true meaning of a Zelda game.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
It is beautiful and sometimes breathtaking... but I have to disagree with you- it can also be really annoying. Like, why is there so much stuff in the distance I can't get to? It is fun to explore because it's so big... but true exploration for me would be able to look everywhere. Hills and trees in the background that serve no purpose bug me... and tp is full of them :c

Also it's.... really empty. I mean, sure there's caves and bridges and stuff... but where are all the other travellers? Surely not every npc in the game is content to sit in their little village/town. I know I'd want to see what's out there. And it seemed kind of dull and dusty to me after a while...

So it's a mixed bag I guess... I prefer things like the LttP, or the MM overworlds- they had stuff going on at least... not just vast stretches of area that don't really need to be there :c Although finding all the little passage ways and alternative routes was amazing at first, I have to say~

Sorry to pick at flaws and post something so negative, I'll add to it later :)

The overworld in Twilight Princess was very impressive in size and appearance. However... I can't really say it's the best.

For me, it was too realistic. It was practically a real-life wilderness, not a fantasy landscape. Or at least that's how it felt to me. Then again, that's kind of how it's been for Zelda with it's overworlds, but for once I'd like to see something more fantastic.

I also miss the old days of LoZ and ALttP where the overworld was not just a hub of sorts. It was an open area you could randomly explore. Yes, TP did improve upon this issue from games like OoT and MM, but it still wasn't the amazing, sometimes maze-like expanse of terrain in the old games. Basically, I think we need a wilderness for the overworld, not a field. The field is too generic and diminishes the exploration factor.

But those are just my thoughts. I'd say TP probably had the best overworld of any of the 3D Zeldas. I just don't think any of the 3D overworlds measure up to ye old 2D ones, and I'd like to see those classic elements return. :)

Zarom

The King
I agree that TP's overworld map is huge and amzing, but like NorthApple said, it's really empty. Most of the times, you just get on Epona and travel fast enough to don't waste time traveling by foot. And when you get the ability to warp whenever you want with Midna, most people use warp all the time to avoid boring traveling. :tired:

However, I admit that it's a very nice overworld, but like Hyrule Field in OOT, there's almost nothing to do in it. I prefer a smaller overworld like MM that has lots of things everywhere and plenty of monsters. In TP, there is not much enemies, except some birds and Bokoblins and a few more. And MM's overworld is much more diversified. There is a swamp area, a mountain, a beach and a rocky one. It's just full of things to do, and each time you explore, you discover new stuff you didn't know before. MM's overworld is definitely the best. :D As for WW, well, it was so unique, and that's why it's great in its way. :)

I agree with Axle on the fact that the overworlds should be more fantastic. Overall, I think TP was a too much realistic game for a Zelda. I prefer more awesomeness. ;)

In all, TP's overworld is amazing, but a little boring. :)

Megamannt125

Blue Link
I agree that TP's overworld map is huge and amzing, but like NorthApple said, it's really empty. Most of the times, you just get on Epona and travel fast enough to don't waste time traveling by foot. And when you get the ability to warp whenever you want with Midna, most people use warp all the time to avoid boring traveling. :tired:

However, I admit that it's a very nice overworld, but like Hyrule Field in OOT, there's almost nothing to do in it. I prefer a smaller overworld like MM that has lots of things everywhere and plenty of monsters. In TP, there is not much enemies, except some birds and Bokoblins and a few more. And MM's overworld is much more diversified. There is a swamp area, a mountain, a beach and a rocky one. It's just full of things to do, and each time you explore, you discover new stuff you didn't know before. MM's overworld is definitely the best. :D As for WW, well, it was so unique, and that's why it's great in its way. :)

I agree with Axle on the fact that the overworlds should be more fantastic. Overall, I think TP was a too much realistic game for a Zelda. I prefer more awesomeness. ;)

In all, TP's overworld is amazing, but a little boring. :)
I do agree that it is empty, i'm just saying Nintendo did a good job on making it looks good and big, i'd like it better if there were some people around, maybe a few houses, some sidequest related things, and more enemies.

Yes, it's definitely the most impressive out of the Zelda series.

We act like past 3D installments have been chok full of things to do in the overworld, which is a complete lie. OoT's was just that, a field. Nothing to do there. MM boasted more impressive visuals, with a desert and snowy mountain built into it's overworld. But still, there was hardly anything to access, other than a couple of hidden holes in the grass. I laugh when I think of WW's "over world". Pfft, thousands of miles of ocean is boring, and the water was ALWAYS the same exact color. I GOT SICK OF BLUE WATER! And really, nothing to do in between islands either. Yeah, find a hidden raft, get aboard it, kill the enemy, get the Joy Pendent and the 10 rupees. Yay. Lotsa fun right dere.... TP doesn't buck the nothing-to-do trend either. However, it is the most massive, and IT'S NOT ALL ****ING BLUE. The visuals are far more attractive, including the canyons, prairies, springs, and rocky terrain.

In short, none of the 3D titles can outdo the activities that the 2D games had in their overworld. But you would be a fool to say TP hasn't boasted the largest, and most impressive looking of the 3D titles.

Kazumi

chagy
I strongly disagree with you. Whilst some parts can be quite pretty, pushing the Gamecube to it's limits, it's over all a not so great overworld. First of all, it's very empty. And not in a bleak empty majestic way that we saw in the original trailers for the game. It just has nothing in it. And it doesn't even look very natural. It looks like the overworld is some sort of platforming world. It's just made up of a few sections. And some villages. With all of this space I would have expected something more. More towns. Some just scattered around. With side quests. More just explorable forests. Or rivers. Just little things that could be dotted around Hyrule Field to make it feel more like a real Medieval/Renaissance atmosphere. It was overall very underwhelming.

Majora's Mask is an overworld done right. But.. It's a little on the small side.. If you were to combine the TP and MM overworlds properly.. Then who knows. But the thing that was really excellent about the MM overworld, was exactly what TP was missing. It felt full. It was populated with people, forests, mountains, water, and the right amount of enemies. If they could just string the two together then.. I would be so happy.

So. All in all, TP's overworld was NOT the Most Amazing Overworld of Any Zelda Game. At all. Not to say that it wasn't good, I just think they could have done better.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Personally, I do not mind a Hyrule that's on the "realistic" end at all, because I find nature (actual real nature) to be very magical without a need to be embellished upon too much. I prefer a realistic forest to say...something surreal. And I rather liked the grit and the dust of places like Kakariko village in TP. It made me feel like a part of the game because the landscapes reminded me of stuff I've been in out in real-world land. So, yes, I love TP's overworld.

With that in mind, also keep in mind that TP is my favorite LoZ title... so don't take what I say next as insult to the game, just a bit of mild criticsm.

I have to say that TP's overworld could be improved upon. While I feel like it's the best of the 3D worlds, my favorite overworld is the one in Adventure of Link. Sure, it was 8bit, and I don't want to see a return to that in visual style at all, but themewise - the overworld there was wonderful. AoL had a HUGE overworld with many different landscapes and enemy scenarios. Most of all, perhaps, AoL had lots of TOWNS. Every other Zelda title feels like I'm exploring a skeleton-world... not a lot of population centers. I suppose the places that cannot be explored/places that are not important to the game must have people in them, but... why can't such elements be brought in? Even if it's just cosmetic, it could be nice.

Hyrule feels too much like it's not populous enough to be a kingdom (or at least a kingdom as grand as it's supposed to be). You get two or three population center in most games. AoL had town after town after town, as in "Wow! Hyrule has people in it!" and then the games after that don't have that. With the technology getting better and better and the Legend becoming richer, I think Nintendo can stand to make more cities and towns scattered around. I still want lots and lots of nature, of course, it's just, it would be nice to be a citizen of a kingdom rather than the citzen of a skeleton-crew kingdom.

TP had lots of eye-candy, so why not in the form of more people an in-use archtecture? Hopefully, the new Wii game will take a lesson from AoL in that regard.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Agreed. TP has the most epic overworld ever. It is massive with plenty to do from getting golden bugs, to collecting heart pieces, to killing enemies, to riding epona, to getting rupees.

Although what I don't get is how people think that there are better ones.

I can see how ocean can get boring but there's still a ton to do. In fact there's just way too much to do. But it's so tedious to sail all over. That's why I love the Ballad of Gales so much.

However I don't get how there is a lot to do in Termina Field. Go to places not in the overworld, kill enemies, get a few heart containers here and there, and discover meaningless areas. Barely anything at all to do in Termina Field.

I agree that OoT had by far the most lacking overworld as all you can do in there is kill enemies, discover meaningless places, and travel. Nothing at all.

I agree that Twilight Princess's Overworld was amazing. It was big and had caves to explore, and enemies to fight.
I never understood why people said that it was boring and lifeless. I found OOT's Overworld to be boring and lifeless. It was enclosed and was just a way to get where you needed to be.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
@OP: Are you kidding me?

Personally, I found TP's overworld incredibly disappointing. It looked huge, but it was empty. Hardly a shrubbery in sight. It's a vast area of nothingness. The caves were too similar. There just wasn't that much to explore. Know what's funny? The desert was more fun to explore than Hyrule Field. Yeah.

There was a lot of potential, I think, but they just didn't go anywhere with it. There was ample space to throw in some more grottos, some more streams, more secrets, etc. Hyrule Castle Town was all hustle and bustle but nowhere to go. The overworld, in my opinion, wasn't very great. OoT's was better by far. And look at Termina- it was so tiny, but there was so much! How did TP's overworld end up with so little? They slacked.

Like I said, TP's overworld only looks big, but you can't explore as much as you'd like. Oh well, trial and error, I suppose. I really blame it on the game being rushed for Wii's launch. I'm sure the next Wii Zelda's overworld will be incredible.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
I think it's fairly impressive, in some respects. The way they seemingly tried to reincorporate some specific areas into the field was cool. You could spend hours speculating on that sort of thing. There were also a good bit of caves, holes, and things like that. And also: Areas you couldn't access, which add some mystery to the landscape.

I guess I do believe its overworld is more impressive than the rest of the 3d Zeldas (that i've played). It's pretty similar to OoT and has better graphics. There wasn't much of an overworld to MM. Haven't played WW, so I can't really comment on that.

Even so, it wasn't really all that great. Traveling gets flat out boring at times. Like others have said, a few more towns here and there would make all the difference.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
You can't truly enjoy this game until you walk around all of Hyrule Field on foot, it's wonderful, behind this games overall easy dungeons, enemies, and bosses, there is beauty, this game's overworld is a true work of gaming art. The canyons, the forests, the mountains, even the grass and small ponds, it all makes up a very majestic virtual land, you can truly experience Hyrule. Just walking around and looking over at Hyrule castle in the distance as the sun rises, i'm glad I gave this game another chance. Not only is the gorgeous landscape beautifal, but so is the music, whether it's day or night, you get a feeling of exploration, adventure, and beauty as you traverse the majestic land of Hyrule.
If Zelda Wii's overworld is anything like TP's I will be happy.
A Zelda game with ALTTP's difficulty, TP's overworld, MM's sidequests, WW's sense of exploration, and finally OOT's great story, that would be the true meaning of a Zelda game.

yes very much. twilight princess has the best overworld and overall graphics. not only is the overworld beautiful but so are the dungeons. diababa's boss room is the most beautiful place in the entire game if you ask me.

I have to agree. I have not really played any of the 2D Zelda games, but I am aware of the diversity of the land in them, which the 3D games tended to lack. The worst in this regard is The Wind Waker. It's ocean. And not much else. And the islands were all tiny. Not very interesting at all. Ocarina of Time wasn't as bad, but the overworld was just as empty. It was just a circle of grass that connected all the major areas. Majora's Mask was a definite step in the right direction. It had a ton of things in the overworld that you could amuse yourself with. But the time limit also limited your ability to enjoy it.

Twilight Princess, while definitely not perfect, had a really interesting overworld. Oddly enough, one of my complaints about it is that there are too many enemies! I just like to wander around and take in the sights without being interrupted by a flaming arrow. But that's just me. Other than that, I really really liked TP's overworld. There was a lot more to do and see than any of the others.

I loved just being able to stand anywhere in Hyrule Field, and being able to see anything you wanted to. Like standing in the field and seeing Death Mountain, and the Faron Woods. It's just plain beautiful. The best place to get the most amazing view is someplace very high, such as the tower in Lake Hylia. It was definitely the best over world in any game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom