• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Twilight Princess Final Battle V.Skyward Sword

While I enjoyed both games, I think I that I enjoyed the TP battle a bit more. I think that they used that annoying wii motion plus too much in regards to the skyward strike. This is my opinion, let me know what you think!

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
I know I enjoyed Twilight Princess quite a bit. It has fond memories. I feel the final battle for Twilight Princess was a lot more diverse (I think that's the correct word.) though.

In Twilight Princess, there is four different battles against Ganondorf. While Ghirahim and Demise were one right after the other in Skyward Sword, I think that having a bit of a break between Zant and Ganondorf was beneficial to the gamer as it gave them time to restock everything, get stronger, and initially have a bit of preparation time for the final boss.

Having to battle Demise right after Ghirahim makes sense as Ghirahim was performing a ritual of revival and having a dungeon of some sort between the two just wouldn't make sense since there is some form of a time limit on when to battle Demise. It is similar to the battle with Chancellor Cole and Malladus in Spirit Tracks. In that battle, the time limit is quite similar minus the fact that Malladus was being rejected from Cole's body.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the Wii Motion Plus on the Skyward Strikes in Demise's battle. I would blame time and lag. What I would blame the Wii Motion Plus for is the battle with Ghirahim's final form with that big sword that you have to break. THAT was frustrating. I thought having the Skyward Strike a part of the final battle a great way to tie things up as the Skyward Strike is kind of like a way of summoning power from the goddess, Hylia. Think about it. In the beginning of the game when you get the Goddess Sword, you are told to charge a Skyward Strike to have the sword claim you. Throughout the game, you use the Skyward Strike to move further in the game whether it's getting the tablets to progress on the surface or getting the songs from the goddess. You also use the Skyward Strike to open the Gate of Time. It makes sense to have the Skyward Strike a part of the final battle since it sort of represents almost the power of being the chosen hero of the goddesses by channeling the power of Hylia.

It's almost like having the part in Ganondorf's battle in Twilight Princess. You have to use your wolf form and battle with Midna in the second round of the battle. You used your wolf form so much during the game to move further in the game. In a way, it's a way of tying everything together and finalizing it. Same goes with using Epona in the third round. Epona played a big part in the game and using her in the final battle ties up the story with Epona and utilizes everything you learned with her throughout the game.

All in all, I still prefer Twilight Princess's final battle over Skyward Sword for being more diverse and because I like Twilight Princess. I think the reasons for the Skyward Strike in the final battle were good reasons as were the reasons for the elements of Ganondorf's battle.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword, not even a contest. While Twilight Princess's final sequence of battles is certainly entertaining, it's also incredibly easy, and it can get repetitive at times, especially when fighting Beast Ganon. Skyward Sword has you plow through literally hundreds of enemies while charging down a spiral pit, followed by an epic, multi-phase battle with Ghirahim, and tops it all off with a multi-phase sword duel with Demise. It's entirely possible to plow through Demise in well under a minute, but it takes pinpoint precision timing with Shield Bashing and attacking. One screw-up, your chance is gone.

Ultimately it boils down to TP's endgame having a lot of style and presentation, but gameplay that doesn't live up to it. SS's endgame manages to top TP in both categories, in my honest opinion -- though I will say that the sword duel with Ganondorf in TP was pretty boss. (Seriously, no pun intended.)

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
The final battle with Demise in Skyward Sword is the only part of the game that I prefer to Twilight Princess. Yes the Ganondorf fight is so incredibly epic, the horseback battle is freakin amazing and the final confrontation, though easy, is beautifully done. However, while I felt the controls were a nuisance all the way through Skyward Sword, I didn't care for the final battle. Just that setting, with the epic looking skyward strikes, that music, Demise's hair, DEM EYES. So good. And was a tad of a challenge too. :)

am I the only one that enjoyed the skyward sword final boss better than the twilight princess one!?!?!?!? ah no matter xD
while the twilight princess final boss was epic I found it to be way to long. It dragged on for a while. And while yes ill admit I was engaged the entire time.

skyward sword final boss however, let me tell you about that! the setting was epic, the swordplay was well done, and the intensity of facing off aginst the demon king himself was amazing. I am kind of a sucker when it comes to one vs one sword fights. mainly because there is no gimmicks, just pure skill. And only you the Hero of time himself can best him.

twilight princess had the finally stand at the end too but it didn't do as much for me

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Both were pretty epic battles, but I found SS's battle to be a bit more. And the skyward strikes weren't so bad once you got the hang of it. Besides, throwing lightning at Demise is incalculable levels of awesome!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll explain I'm detail just why I think Twilight Princess' final battle easily surpasses Skyward Sword's.

Ok so to begin with you have two similar concepts in both games: a sub villain and a main villain. They basically play out the same story wise. If you look at it from a rather brief perspective, you have two sub villains who are working for their master and then they move over for the main villain to step in during the climax of the game. So you essentially have the sub villain being the common threat throughout the majority of the game while the real villain awaits.

The whole point of this sub/main villainy combination is to, one, create a plot twist of sorts and to build up the main villain by directly using the sub villain to the dirty work. In Twilight Princess Zant is clearly--well during the first half of the game--the main villain. He is slowly introduced by Midna (and Princess Zelda), which creates a slow build. The build itself was great and they made Zant putty be this seemingly unstoppable and quite creepy villain (a common theme in the game itself). At this moment is was all about Zant until you enter the Mirror Chamber where the Ancient Sages tell Link about Ganondorf and that all of this evil currently within Hyrule was in fact their fault due them sealing Ganondorf within the Twilight Realm. So at this point you connect the dots and realise that Ganondorf is most likely behind Zant. People have this impression that Ganondorf was just introduced out of the blue at the end of the game, well this is quite wrong. Zant gave hints of a greater power being behind him: [ilquote=Zant]"How dare you?! Are you implying that my power is...our old magic? Now THAT is a joke! This power is granted to me by my god![/ilquote] - this quote proves that quite early on (After the Lakebed Temple) that there was another figure behind Zant. We also get conformation of this later on (the same cut scene I mentioned earlier with the Sages). Then you have Midna refer to Zant's power as a "false one", which kind of homes in on the fact that Zant gained false power. These are rather clear hints and their purpose is to give indication of what happened without explicitly stating it. Imagine if Zant just said that Ganondorf gave him power, that would take away the shock factor when it was revealed. The purpose of giving hints over time is to give you more and more information without giving you the full picture. It teases you and draws you into the game - you want to find out what exactly is happening.

Skyward Sword Did a rather similar thing. Ghirahim was the main threat from the start albeit he didn't quite have the same dark threatening presence that Zant had early on in the game. Instead they went down the route of craziness (reminiscent of the latter stages of Zant). Ghirahim's intentions were to capture Zelda (familiar?), the reasons behind this were unclear. The problem I had with Ghirahim was this real intentions were revealed rather late on. I predicted that there was another evil behind him due to kicking his *** several times and the fact that he just didn't seem like a worthy threat. Anyway that isn't the point, the point is about building the anticipation of the main villain which this game did not. Instead of giving multiple hints, it was more so a case of looking back in hindsight and connecting the dots; for example you'd be like "oh that's what that was" and "oh that's why that happened etc. This was the case with The Imprisoned; you had this odd beast which ultimately turned out to be the Master Ghirahim spoke of. This was a nice twist, but you only knew after It was revealed by Impa late on in the game which is coincidently the last we properly see of The Imprisoned. That's my problems, a lot if people say Demise was always present, but really it was only in hindsight and he was present in the form of a mindless shell of a beast that was quite frankly odd. Then you have the fact that we beat The Imprisoned three times in battle, which meant we already had an advantage on Demise himself. Knowing the fact that we had already met with this ultimate evil and conquered it took away the feeling of anticipation when coming to fight him in the final battle.

With Zant you had this really creepy and quite frankly scarily powerful villain during the first 3/4 of the game. Having him freak out at the end signalled the transition of power from him to Ganondorf. All this anticipation I had of confronting and fighting Zant went away as soon as he freaked out, but it made me realise who the true villain was. Zant seemed incredibly powerful until that moment: effortlessly invading Hyrule Castle, clouding he entirety of Hyrule in clouds of Twilight, bringing aside Link, Midna and the Light Beasts with ease, reviving old beasts into devastating bosses and so on. It gave him a sense of hype, I was really anticipating his boss battle while at the same time I was quite reluctant due to just how powerful he seemed. When Zant did flip out, and it was revealed that he was not in but a pawn in Ganondorf's, it just made me realise how strong Ganondorf must be. Plus with Ganondorf you don't need no build; he's infamous in this series and needs no introduction, with a new villain you need to build them.

Ghirahim had a good build of character, while Demise had none as he was just introduced at the end of the game. You could argue his presence in the form of The Imprisoned, but this really had no impact on the Demise himself. The only realistic build Demise had was the during the prologue of the game. What Skyward Sword Did was try to leech of Ganondorf. Everyone knew this was a prequel and Nintendo had stated numerous times that the game hinted of Ganondorf's origins. So with this you kind of expected Demise to connect to Ganondorf even before the whole "curse". Then you have the fact that he is a lot similar: colour scheme, build, look, presence, speech. Of course they are different, but you'd have to be naive not to see the clear similarities. All of this created a a rather brief connection between the two and that's my problem. This game didn't build Demise as they wanted to play off the fact that be is the origin of Ganondorf, which is later made crystal clear with a "curse" of sorts. The curse itself is just totally redundant as it reiterates the balance of power that binds the three figures together (The Hero, The Princess and The Villain). Such balances of power are evident in multiple mythologies: "where there is good there will always be evil". So it almost felt like a half hearted effort to introduce Demise as the origin of Ganondorf and why there is always evil present. They give Demise all these titles as of he is a devil like figures, the embodiment of hated itself and the source of all evil yet they don't meet expectations when building him. If you're going to introduce the source of Ganondorf, and more importantly why evil exists, then build that up and give me some anticipation going into the fight. I had already beat Demise's other form quite simply on three occasions and I had beat his servant also on multiple occasions; I just didn't feel like I was going into the fight as the underdog. Being the underdog is pivotal to any boss battle and especially the final boss, not getting this feeling kind of disappointed me a lot.

So now that I've discussed the build and introduction, what about the battle itself? Well first off I see both battles as rather easy. The Ganondorf fight is split up to four phases with each phase having their own unique tactics, but once you know what you're doing its fine. The Demise fight is really one phase split up into two intensities. It's a simple sword fight, so the challenge of finding out how to overcome Demise of rather simple; you use your sword obviously. The Demise fight was more intense and fast paced, while the Ganondorf battle was a long winding battle going through multiple phases. Demise dealt more damage with one hit, while the Ganon fight went on a lot longer so it was more of an endurance test to conserve your hearts through all four phases as there were no breaks in between. So while both were fairly easy they are quite different in challenge. The ultimate point about challenge that differentiates the two is time in my opinion. Demise can be beat fairly quickly and I did this on my first go which felt quite anticlimactic. Some people may have had different experiences with the battle itself, but I was done in a couple of minutes. The Ganondorf fighting my first time was a lot more challenging in the sense that I had to endure a longer battle transitioning through four different phases. When you have multiple phases you basically have more diversity; it's not the same thing. The Demise battle was just a simple sword fight, a good one, but still a sword fight. The fact that it basically only had one phase really made it feel one dimensional, you didn't have to switch up tactics, adapt to new settings, use different weapons etc. In the Ganondorf fight you first face off with the possessed Princess Zelda, which is more of a fast paced battle which incorporates the famous back and forth game of tennis. The second fight it's more about quick reactions and anticipation of where Ganon is going to appear next. While the next phase you have to use your horseback skills to chase down Ganondorf while also avoiding his attacks. Then of course it ends with the standard sword battle. If I were comparing the sword battled alone Demise wins hands down, but due to the sheer variety, Ganondorf's battle wins easily.

---

I just feel as if the Ganondorf battle felt more like an epic final climax. It was an event that decided the date of Hyrule. You started off in Hyrule Castle, after an epic clash of the titans (Midna and Ganondorf), you see Hyrule Castle completely obliterated with Ganondorf seemingly destroying Midna. After an intervention by the Four Light Spirits you then fight Ganondorf across the vast expansive landscape of Hyrule Field which ultimately ends in a standard sword battle. The Demise battle took place in an alternate dimension of sorts and stayed in that one place. See the difference? The Ganondorf fight felt more like an epic climax that was more befitting of a final battle.

Anyway that's just my thoughts.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'll go with TP's battle hands down. TP's atmosphere was perfect. The world literally felt like it was about to end if Link did not suceed. The concept of fighting Zelda is a little jaw dropping, and executed well as it incorporates the tennis tradition. The Ganon fight is a great call back to exactly what the G-man is and cleverly makes the player use both their human and wolf form. The horse back ride makes Zelda more than just a guide. And dat final battle... oh dat final battle. We Zelda fans always seem to love one on one sword fights because they really test our fighting skills and putting this on Ganondorf was just awe inspiring. And need I even mention the music? Now, there are flaws. For one, the level of difficulty is a joke. The first three stages aren't too bad for what they are, but the final sword fight with the G-man would've been much more enjoyable if the player didn't simply have to wait for that specific animation and if Ganondorf actually did some damage. And there's the concept that the entire game is about Midna, and yet she misses the final fight. It feels somewhat forced to make the game be about Link, Zelda and Ganondorf when it was about Midna this entire time. Still, I am completely willing to forgive those faults because of everything else this fight gave me. Despite the difficulty, I still felt beyond epic fighting through every single stage. I should also mention that a sudden difficulty spike would go against what the rest of the game had going which might've been worse. And while Midna's departure was unfair, it did succeed in reminding me of the series past.

Many people do not like to only consider Demise as the final battle, so I'll be fair and include the horde battle and Ghirahim. The Horde Battle I don't take too much Personal issues with, but I must point out something that mathewmatosis said. The Horde Battle would've had better atmosphere if the game didn't try to stop the player so much. That takes away from the ambiance. The Ghirahim fight is actually one of my favorite fights in the series (like I said, one on one sword fights). The atmosphere is great and the fact that Ghirahim can do a skyward strike makes you feel like you're finally facing your rival in a way he could defeat you. It can be frustrating though because swinging the Wii-mote too fast can really harm you, which since this is a game that emphasizes precision and timing, this isn't too fair to the player, but it is understandable given the control scheme. Sadly, unlike TP where the fights only got better and better, Ghirahim is the prime of the fight. Demise is not only underwhelming, but a moment killer. Taking the player out of the fight just before having to face Demise is a huge reminder that this is a game. This is also the reason why its confusing that he alone is considered the final fight. Once you enter the final fight, the player is rarely aloud to leave, yet here you are. Being the ultimate source of all bad, one would think Demise would have more tactics than to hit someone with a sword and some lightning tricks. Ghirahim did more than that in the fight before. The final boss should not feel less powerful than the miniboss before him. I realize that many people have different opinions on whether or not Demise is difficult, I will even be so bold as to say he killed me my first time facing him, but once you know his strategy, (which is almost exactly the same strategy as every other minor enemy in the game) the challenge is all but gone. This might not have been as bad, but when the game continually hypes you up and the mini boss before you delivers better than you do, its a huge disappointment. And if you're like me and did consider only Demise to be the final fight, you feel unfulfilled when he dies. Many said "that's it?" when they delivered the final blow. Speaking of the final blow, it was phenomenal. The ability to summon lighting in itself was awesome and well used since it required timing. I think if it had been better earned, this could've been the most satisfying final blow we've seen.

All in all, TP's final fight left me completely satisfied and mind blown. It was the final fight I asked for and more, only lacking in difficulty. SS's final fight was scattered, having just as much bad as there was good in ambience, difficulty, and satisfaction (perhaps even moreso). When I beat TP, I felt like I saved Hyrule. When I beat SS, I felt like I beat a game. I definitely say TP has the better final battle.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Assuming that we're talking about the final battle sequence that occurs and not just the final battle itself, It's a tough decision.

In terms of actual gameplay, I'd say Skyward Sword is the winner. The hordes were fun and challenging, Ghirahim was very fun and creative, and Demise's final battle was epic and entertaining. Puppet Zelda, Beast Ganon, and the horseback battle in TP don't quite match up to the precursors of the Demise fight.

However, the very final sword battle with Ganondorf (while easy) was IMO much more epic than the battle with Demise. Everyone knows big bad Ganondorf which provided a much more personal incentive to beating him. We are introduced to Demise in his non imprisoned form just before the final battle. There wasn't much time to develop a hatred for this character. Plus, Ganondorf's battle took place on Hyrule field. There's a much greater sense of an impending doom and the immediate repercussions of failing to defeat Ganondorf. With the Demise final battle, I felt as though it was more of a final test-like showdown rather than uh oh I have to defeat Demise right now or else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom