• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twilight Princess: An Underrated Game?

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, I've heard MANY rants about Twilight Princess. Everyone says: "hate the art style"; "too linear"; "too easy"; "stupid Ganondorf"; so on so forth. Well, I respect your guys' opinion. I just finished Twilight Princess quite recently. I didn't find the game as "awful" as everyone says. I mean I DO have some complaints. The lack of sidequests was my biggest concern, though. Well, let's think about it. This game was epic in many proportions. The boss fights were pretty awesome, and big. Hyrule was ginormous. There were many things this game did that OoT missed. I Know it wasn't revolutionary, but for what nintendo did, it goes up to one of their finest creations. :clap:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I respect your opinions. Personally, Twilight Princess is my least favorite Zelda game. In my opinion, it was a bad Zelda game. But, of course, any bad Zelda game is still a great video game. Hyrule's vastness isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it also isn't a good thing. It would have been better if it weren't so empty in places. The graphics are good, but personally I found them to be too bland and boring. I do think it was too linear, and too easy. What made it so linear was the fact that there were all sorts of obstacles that prevented the player from doing anything out of order. For example, if you try to leave Faron Woods before beating the Forest Temple, Midna won't let you. I found that to be very annoying, considering I love to do things out of order. I felt it was too easy because the game itself pointed you in the right direction. Not that that's a bad thing, but it was too obvious. And not only did the game point you in the right direction, it gave you no choice but to go that way. I felt forced when I played through it the first time, and I felt like I had no freedom to go where I wanted, which was something Ocarina of Time did not do. Ocarina of Time did not force me to complete the Forest Temple before I complete the Fire Temple, for example. Twilight Princess did not have that freedom. And as for Ganondorf, not only did he have a bad introduction, he wasn't even in more than about 20% of the game. Ganondorf's presence ruined the breath of fresh air Zant gave the game, and to make matters worse, the Ganondorf battles were incredibly easy. Sure, some of the boss fights were epic, but they were too easy. Sure, some of the dungeons were kinda cool, and kinda fun, but most of them were too easy. In fact, I'd say the only good dungeon in the game was the City in the Sky. The puzzles were inventive, the rooms were interesting and challenging, and the boss fight, although also easy, was unbelievably epic. If the rest of Twilight Princess was like City in the Sky, I'd have no complaints. Overall, Twilight Princess is a little overrrated. I believe it deserves some of the criticisms it gets. That's my opinion.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Underrated? Twilight Princess is in no way underrated. If anything, it's overrated. Why? Well, it's a highly mainstream game and gets a vast majority of the attention in the series due to people either saying it's great or by criticizing it. The other thing would be the graphics. There are many people that played the game and were just, like, "Oh, man, I love the graphics of that game!" and really say nothing else about it. And the thing is, these are generally the people that aren't really Zelda fans, but have just played the game. A good deal of real fans somewhat hated it for the graphics and the reasons you said.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate TP. It's actually my favorite game. Like, my favorite game period. I do realize the flaws in it, but I also think it gets some undeserved criticism. Like the linearity. Yes, it is the most linear Zelda game of all time, but TP wasn't the first linear game in the series. In fact, the linearity aspect in Zelda goes all the way back to LA. Not as much of it in the earlier games, but they did have a good deal of it in them (save OoT). (Yes, MM was linear in story.) The Wind Waker was linear, it just had the sailing, which made it not feel that way (completely). And if you wanna talk about linear, go to FS and FSA. They were straight-line games (although the style of the game-play did sort of make it work). And then there's The Minish Cap. It was just the Kinstones that made it not feel so linear. Again, yes, TP is more linear than any of those games, but people treat it like it's the first time Zelda's ever had any sense of linearity in the series, and, quite frankly, that seriously pisses me off. Yeah, kind of off topic, but I just felt like I needed to say that.

Anyway, I would not call TP underrated in any sense of the word. If any Zelda game is underrated, it's Majora's Mask.

Actually, after saying (typing) all that, I think I realized something. The fact that there are no mini-games the game is a huge factor to it feeling so linear. I now firmly believe if there were some mini-games in Twilight Princess, people wouldn't have complained as much about the linearity.

Last edited:
L

Linkmeister

I have to agree that TP is overrated. even though i liked it very much it isnt my fave zelda. it had its flaws, but what game doesnt have its flaws?

If you are a classic Zelda fan(you prefer older installments) , then you are going to think TP is overrated. If you are a modern Zelda fan(if you prefer the newer installments), then you are going to think it is underrated. I find it weird that there are people who think TP is the best Zelda game in the whole wide world and there are other people who say that it is the worst. I made up a word that best describes TP, and that word is midrated.:P I think every Zelda game is overrated if you think about it.

Big Octo

=^)
How is it underrated if won Game of the Year? It's rated quite fairly in my opinion, and what your basing this thread off of is the rates of other players/users, not official ratings by Game Informer or IGN. Truthfully, it was a quality game, and I'm not sure why others despise it so much.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How is it underrated if won Game of the Year? It's rated quite fairly in my opinion, and what your basing this thread off of is the rates of other players/users, not official ratings by Game Informer or IGN. Truthfully, it was a quality game, and I'm not sure why others despise it so much.
The 'official' ratings don't mean much in the way of Overrated or Underrated though. Not even Metacritic matters. But individual 'users' of a fanforum's rating almost always apply. For example, on ZD you'll find a lot of people like myself calling TP a bad Zelda game due to things like it's crazy linearity, and underuse of items (seriously, the Gale Boomerang became useless after I beat the Forest Temple...). Sometimes the negativity it gets is undeserved (like me saying that the items are useless), but other times it is just downright true (the game is too easy).

geek4887

The Unknown
I've heard this somewhere before, but because Zelda games are such great games compared to others what we actually do is to compare it to the rest of the series. What we fans do(because of the quality of zelda), we just look for its flaws. Especially like Twilight Princess, which relied HEAVILY on Ocarina of Time. You can't help but go, "eh, mediocre game." But, well I think that Twilight Princess is still a great game (my second fave actually).

M

Mule-Kick

I am currently playing through TP for the first time (just about to enter Lakebed Temple) and up untill now I think it's an awesome game. The game is quite linear yes but it hasn't bothered me too much actually as I like to progress the story.

Only thing that is dissapointing is the large but empty overworld. Because you are always being driven by the story you just seem to race past certain areas without investigating them properly. However going back to them later has revealed that there usually is very little that is missed which is dissapointing

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Twilight Princess is a great video game, but a below average Zelda game. I do not believe that it is overrated, because this is how most Zelda fans seem to see it.

On the whole, the game was quite easy. This was good for me on my first play through as I had hardly played a Zelda game before (I had started Ocarina of Time but had only gotten to Dodongo's Cavern), however, it made it less interesting to replay after having experience with it.

On the whole, the enemies were not all too difficult defeat, excepting to some extent the Darknuts, but once you understood the pattern, the were not terribly difficult either. Even Stalfos, an enemy that in past games such as Ocarina of Time had been somewhat of a challenge, especially on 3-Heart Runs, are really no trouble to defeat.

Also, the bosses were predictable and rather simple to defeat, especially for one experienced in Zelda. All of them required use of the dungeon item and usually that item alone and had common weak points, such as the eye. There were a couple of creative bosses, namely Argorok and Stallord, but they were still easily defeated, just not by traditional Zelda means.

The dungeons are also not all that complicated, especially since many were based on concepts from Ocarina of Time, or were just simple dungeons. The Forest Temple and Goron Mines were both simple, straightforward, start-of-the-game dungeons. The Lakebed Temple that followed was little more than a watered-down (no pun intended) version of the Water Temple. After that was Arbiter's Grounds, which involved tracking down Poes, essentially like the Forest Temple from [Ocarina of Time[/I], except senses made it easier. Snowpeak Ruins and City in the Sky had some new, creative aspects, but those were offset by Temple of Time and Palace of Twilight being basic and simple.

On the whole, Twilight Princess was not a difficult game to play, and there were several boring aspects that made things uninteresting for playing the game a second time (such as the 45 minutes+ time before the 1st dungeon). However, all things considered, it was a very good game. The Wolf transformation aspect was not revolutionary, but something that was interesting in some places. The graphics looked very nice in my opinion, and some of the Hyrule Field sequences, especially those involving King Bulbin, which were over world boss fights not seen before in the Zelda series, at least not to that scale. On the whole, Twilight Princess is an amazing game, it just cannot live up to other games in the series.

So, Twilight Princess is not an underrated game, I find that most Zelda fans who have been fans of the series for a long time or who have played most of the games rate it almost exactly correctly.

guy123

The Waker of the Winds
I loved Twilight Princess, and yeah it did have some flaws, but it had some major improvments also. It's a gme that's being constantly put-down, and I definetely feel that it's under-rated.

I disliked TP compared to the other Zeldas. I wouldn't say it's terrible, but I wouldn't categorize it as a masterpiece like some Zeldas. I see a lot of mixed reviews on the game, so I can't say if I think it is underrated or overrated, just very polarizing.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Twilight Princess is my 2nd favorite game after OoT/3D as I LOVE the art, LOVE the music, LOVE the story, LOVE the dungeons, and love generally everything about it! However, I really hate haters that hate on TP. It's still a fantastic game, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I agree that it's highly underrated. It's my favorite game on the Wii, followed by Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Okami. It's freaking amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom