• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Tutorial: Making a Signature (GIMP Users Only)

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Ah, excellent tutorial you have there Lozzy. I didn't know that you could download brushes for GIMP and get a bit more creative with your background like that. I knew that you could with Photoshop, but I didn't think that you could do the same thing with GIMP. I might try to do that with the next sig and avatar I make.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Ah, excellent tutorial you have there Lozzy. I didn't know that you could download brushes for GIMP and get a bit more creative with your background like that. I knew that you could with Photoshop, but I didn't think that you could do the same thing with GIMP. I might try to do that with the next sig and avatar I make.

Thank you Knowlee. Yes, you can do that with GIMP as well. Also, (thanks to Kitsu) I learned the .abr files can be used in newer versions of GIMP including 2.6.

Hey everybody I know this is on the borderline of being off topic but I found a custom brush plugin for Paint.NET that lets you use Photoshop brushes here if you prefer it to GIMP like I do. ;)

jebus_thecatman

What the moo?
Wow, this tutorial is amazing! One thing that I do instead of using the free selection tool, I (besides using renders from a site) use the magic wand tool and select the white. It isn't the greatest method, it depends on the picture.

Wow, this tutorial is amazing! One thing that I do instead of using the free selection tool, I (besides using renders from a site) use the magic wand tool and select the white. It isn't the greatest method, it depends on the picture.

I find it best to use the Path tool, and paint a path around the render, make a selection from the path, then either copy/paste to a new layer or invert the selection and hit Ctrl - X. At any rate, Paths are a lot better than Free Selection since they can be edited and be very accurate if you have the patience.

jebus_thecatman

What the moo?
I find it best to use the Path tool, and paint a path around the render, make a selection from the path, then either copy/paste to a new layer or invert the selection and hit Ctrl - X. At any rate, Paths are a lot better than Free Selection since they can be edited and be very accurate if you have the patience.

It does look a lot better if you take your time and use the path to cut out the render. I just use the wand, select the white, then grow the selection by 1. It turns out all right most of the time. I don't use the selection tool because I take my time and there would be a little bit of white in some sections.

Anyway, I used this tutorial for 2 things already, 1 is the GCC, and look down \/ there a little bit for the other

LozzyKate

It does look a lot better if you take your time and use the path to cut out the render. I just use the wand, select the white, then grow the selection by 1. It turns out all right most of the time. I don't use the selection tool because I take my time and there would be a little bit of white in some sections.

Anyway, I used this tutorial for 2 things already, 1 is the GCC, and look down \/ there a little bit for the other

Just a little recommendation when making your sig, if you're going to increase the canvas size, don't make what goes outside the original height and width touch the borders of the canvas addition. It doesn't look very nice. Trust me, I've made that mistake and have gone back several times to fix that.

Just thought I'd let you know that! ;)

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Hey Lozzy I am starting to use this and you did good but I have a Problem with the brushes and the Cutting out thing

LozzyKate

Hey Lozzy I am starting to use this and you did good but I have a Problem with the brushes and the Cutting out thing

What is the problem that you are having with the brushes and cutting things out?

LozzyKate

Well the bruhes I cant add them to Gimp and the cutting I cant cut out Midna

Josie, are you the administrator of the computer? If you're not, then you can't do anything that will impact changes on your computer.

LozzyKate

I have it on my Mom's and she is so Gimp is on hers well we are going to switch users

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what you are saying.

Anyway, to add brushes to your GIMP Brushes Toolbox, go to Start > Computer > OS (C: ) > Program Files > GIMP-2.0 > share > gimp > 2.0 > brushes. When you're there, go to the folder where all the brushes you downloaded we saved to. If you didn't unzip your ZIP Files, right click on each one and click extract all. Then click extract on the the box that will pop up. The files will be extracted and moved to a new folder. Copy all the folders and files and go back to the brushes folder. Paste all the folders into the folder and open GIMP. They should be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom