• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Turn-base combat: Are you a fan?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
A lot of games over the years have tried to put their own spin in turn-based combat, but at the end of the day, you're just taking turns beating each other up. You don't see too much of this style in RPGs nowadays bar some notable exceptions, most of them try to head into the action route. Either way, have you even been fan of this? If you hear a game has turn based combat, does that turn you off from the game or is it something you can get passed?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I hate turn based combat. It will almost always be trash and unacceptable. D&D is an exception, purely because it's a game of literally infinite possibilities

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Pokemon is the main exception. Generally I highly dislike it. Fire Emblem Echoes was okay only because it had free-roam dungeons that gave me the adventurous fix I needed to get through the game. Miitopia was okay because the game was just flat out fun. I tried the Lost Sphear demo and hated it. I tried the Bravely Default demo and hated it. Most of the turn-based combat I've seen I've hated. I'd much rather play games with dynamic action. It feels so much more satisfying.

Yeah, I agree with Azure that I don't mind it in Pokemon. Fire Emblem is also fine. Not sure if that's even technically an RPG, but I see some people classify it as such, and I think the turn based gameplay serves the strategic aspect of the franchise well.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I dont mind it, but I will say that the final fantasy formula is stale. Never really been huge on those games, and they bore me sometimes, no matter how bad they try.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Never understood the appeal. It's such a boring and uninteresting form of combat. I've been curious about many games in the past, but when I see they have turn-based combat, I instantly lose interest. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from RPGs, though lately I've seen more and more RPGs ditch it, so I may have to try one at some point.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
It really depends on the game. I love platformers and adventure games, but I also really enjoy a good RPG every now and then, and most of the ones I play tend to be turn-based. Often times, the story keeps me going as a driving force, and I think it's a bit satisfying to do resource management and see your skills and abilities grow based off of how you do manage yourself. It's nice to see the number of damage you do go up, and it's sort of a simple reward sometimes.

I really loved the first two Paper Mario games, Super Mario RPG, and I'll throw in Earthbound and maybe even some Dragon Quest games here because those games don't only drive the game forward with story, but humor as well. I was also really fond of Bravely Default and its sequel, Bravely Second. I've gotten bored of Pokemon, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find them addictive when I was interested, and I've likely spent hundreds of hours in those games.

There's tons of games I can't think of right now, but yeah, I don't really mind turn-based combat. If the game is fun, the game is fun. Is turn-based combat my first choice? No, but if it works within the game, then so be it.

There's a special place in my heart for a few games with turn based combat; Final Fantasy 8, 9, 10, Golden Sun and Pokemon.

Turn based combat feels traditional to me and feels like it still has a place in gaming. Bravely Default and Octopath Traveller are still using turn based combat and are doing it well.

I have a hard time calling something a traditional RPG that isn't turn based.

So i dont hate it, it doesnt deter me from games. Its just i've played a lot of bad turn based games at this point so I never really jump at the chance to play them anymore.

Quin

Disaster Master
No, unless the game has something else to it (pokemon for the raising pokemon part, earthbound for the crazy world), or the combat system is really good. In games like these I generally need to like the characters too, which is why I have trouble getting into final fantasy.

But give me real time combat any day over turn based.

Straight turn based combat no. But if you spice it up and make it more semi-turn based or put attacks on timers then it's better and can be quite fun.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
A lot of games I used to like happened to have it. As far as having a curated possibility space with easy strategies that would seem to require lateral thinking at first sight, they did pretty well for me at the time. I think it's a similar appeal to what Zelda puzzles have. That said, the ones that have held up for me (mostly Paper Mario TTYD) had other stuff going on besides the turn-to-turn loop. TTYD in particular has this nice setup during enemy turns where you had regular guard (press at the right time A to reduce damage by X amount) and super guard (press B at the right time to nullify damage and counter), with super guard being tighter on timing and regular guard being upgradeable with badges but never giving you counters, at least as far as I remember.

It's a limited format, lends itself well to presentation I guess. Atlus' SMT games are the more successful ones nowadays at doing anything neat with it, and even those seem to be mostly niche.

Ninja

Well well well
I don't really mind turn based games as long as there is strategy and is fluid. Final Fantasy X was turned based and incredibly fun. Pokemon does it well however after all these years it has gone stale, it'd be interesting if Pokemon adopted a similar "active time battle" system like FF13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom