• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tunic Design?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
What kind of tunic did you like more the plain colered ones in OoT, or the Completely diffrent looking ones in TP? Or do you want tunic designs to go in a completly diffrent direction?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Both. I love plain tunics; a simple color change with an effect such as the Goron Tunic's giving you increased resistance to fire damage is better than running around with that tired old green. I mean, what does green even mean within Zelda?

And then there is the more ornate stuff like Magic Armor (TP) that looks badass AND makes you invincible.

Nintendo, is it too hard for you to give us good looking things like TP's Magic Armor, or a simple palette swap like the Goron Tunic?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I liked the TP ones largely because of the detail that went into making them look so good. IMO the ones from OoT just looked like overlong collared shirts... :tired:

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I love the Twilight Princess one way better. It has alot more detail to it, and I also like the darker green over the lighter green.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Plain tunics work fine. I've never had a problem with them, and I'd love for them to make a return. Although, I really enjoyed some of the tunics and armor Twilight Princess had to offer. So whatever they have in mind for tunics they should definitely try out. ;)

I agree that plain tunics work fine. However, I think it'd be neat if the series included more variety in its equipment overall. I was a tad disappointed that there was no fire-based tunic in TP. I would really have liked to see how its design would look in TP's graphics. Not only that, but I think it would have been a better alternative to the Magic Armor (biased?). Epic Fail Nintendo. But then again, perhaps the game was better off without a fire tunic, seeing as the fire area was limited to one area.

Also... I've been wanting an ice-based tunic in the series for quite sometime. There were more than enough points in the series that where it could fit: the frozen Zora's Domain (OoT) and Snowpeak (TP) come to mind. Said tunic could be based on the White Wolfos, while also bearing an arctic motif akin to viking garb and/or the Eskimo. As for its attributes: It would prevent freezing and allow for better traction on ice, as well as make it a lot easier to trudge through areas of deep snow.

Twilight Princess was a game which dressed itself in ornate bells and whistles which held no larger purpose. The Magic Armor was nothing more than another worthless piece of equipment in your inventory along the lines of the Dominion Rod.

I greatly prefer the plain tunics for they boasted special abilities and allowed for some interesting new takes on dungeons for the brave of heart. Take the Fire Temple for example. It's pretty easy to make your way around in an hour without losing too many hearts but it becomes a dare devil run when attempting to complete it without the Fire Tunic (which is completely possible by the way). There is also room for expansion in tunic abilities such as the Ice Tunic Wolf Sage mentioned. Another idea which I'd like to see implemented in the future is an invisibility tunic. This sohuld make for an interesting addition given the increased emphasis on stealth in recent titles, namely the Phantoms from the DS games and Silent Realms from Skyward Sword.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Magic Armor was nothing more than another worthless piece of equipment in your inventory along the lines of the Dominion Rod.
Bull.
Magic Armor was there to look sexy. And sexy it looked.

Anyway, I'm in much agreement with ALIT and Wolfy (besides the tidbits about magic armor). Tunic expansion, a subject I asked about during SS pre release time, wasn't featured at all. Nintendo could do this to mix up the gameplay, for aesthetic variation, and much much more.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Plain tunics work and do their job however its nice to see a more complex design.
In Zelda Wii U they will probably integrate complex tunic designs into the game, they may also include the ability to customize your armor.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I think the plain tunics work but as VanitasXII said aesthetic variation would be nice. I also agree with JuicieJ that a tunic needs to do something be it heat resistant, let you take less damage or allow you to breathe underwater.

In SS, the tunics were too bright for my liking as was most of the art style used for the game but the design itself fits Link's form really well. However, my tunic preference has been a tie between the Zora's Tunic from OoT and TP because I think Link (and The Gerudo leader) look better in blue. The downside for one who likes that tunic from TP is that you take double fire damage making it really difficult to wear it outside the temples.

S

Schizo

I definitely agree with all the previous mentions that the tunics need to have a specific feature. TP showed with the Zora Tunic you receive there that doing more than simply palette swapping is possible. I would say that the suggestion of giving a viking feel to an ice tunic would be a bit much for Zelda, unless vikings appear in a future title. A fire tunic could be made from the hide of a dodongo, a water tunic could be like the TP tunic maybe with more of a seaweed feel to it though, an ice tunic could be designed after the white wolfos or even the yetis from TP. As for stealth, these tunics could enhance stealth abilities when worn in their respective environments, like Snake's various costumes provide different percentages of stealth in Metal Gear Solid. If that wouldn't work, I think bringing back the invisible cape (or was that a cane, too?) from LttP would would work quite well.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ya'll see how beast Link looks during cutscenes when he has magic armor!?
i love costume change in all variety:color palettes in ocarina,pajamas in wind waker,zora suit and armor in twilight princess,mails,rings,etc.

although,id like to see more of what twilight princess did in terms of clothing change

I really liked the Zoras Tunic and Original Tunic. The Blue makes Link, and by association me, more calm; which is ironic because in the Four Swords Manga blue was very aggressive and short tempered. I like the green because it is such a classic, a good sense of nostalgia.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't pay that much attention to the clothes, but I liked the features of the OoT tunics, like the fire resistance with the Goron tunic and the Zora's tunic giving you the ability to breathe under water. But it's always nice to have nice looking things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom