• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Truth About Shields!

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I have figured out what is the use of the new shield bar at the top left of the screen. When the meter depletes, you can't use your shield, so you have to switch shields using the - button.

tykidfc.jpg

This is probably going to add depth to the game, as different shields have different resistances!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
nice find! i noticed in the trailer when Link is with that obese penguin thing that he had a wooden shield, and then the next scene the Hylian Shield.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I'm guessing that the round shield is the Wooden Shield, which is the weakest one. There was also a square shield that I think is the metal one. The Hylian Shield won't ever break, I think, as when it takes a hit, the Shield Meter never drops! :)

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Nice find, i was wondering, do you guys think maybe this is the original hylian shield(since it seems to have some kind of magic within it) and all the hylian shields in other games are simply modeled after the legendary shield of old?

Djinn

and Tonic
I am hoping the various shields all have different purposes beyond one simply being stronger than another. Say if the Hylian shield is great for handling normal physical attacks, but is weak against magic, so another magic defending shield would be better. Although that shield would then be weak to normal physical attacks. Causing the player to strategize a little more and think about their equipment before going into a fight or a room.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am hoping the various shields all have different purposes beyond one simply being stronger than another. Say if the Hylian shield is great for handling normal physical attacks, but is weak against magic, so another magic defending shield would be better. Although that shield would then be weak to normal physical attacks. Causing the player to strategize a little more and think about their equipment before going into a fight or a room.

Brilliant. Knowing Nintendo, I think we'll be getting just that!

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Nice find, i was wondering, do you guys think maybe this is the original hylian shield(since it seems to have some kind of magic within it) and all the hylian shields in other games are simply modeled after the legendary shield of old?

I like this theory and I hope something like this happens, but what if the Mirror shield was in the game and maybe had a similar placement. I mean with as they have stated the upgrading system in the game the mirror shield could maybe be the step before or after the Hylian shield.

Also notice how the color of the "Shield Meter" has changed since we last saw it (GDC). It appears to have gone from greenish to an almost aquamarine-like color. It could however be just only an aesthetic change or it could mean something else entirely like "Infinite Shield Meter (ISM 'what I'll call it' :))" or something (similar to infinite magic in MM). If it is "ISM", I wonder if it's only for demo purposes or can one actually obtain it in the game; maybe it has something to do with the Hylian Shield being equipped?

Hmm... This calls for more analyzing. I'm going to look through more game play footage, and look for different times the various shields (shown so far) are equipped, then check to see if the meter's appearance corresponds differently to each one. If my hunch is correct, it will be confirmed that Zelda has added some RPG elements!

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I read somewhere (ugh can't remember the source right now, I'll have to get back to you on that) that there were three shields in the game:

- Wooden Shield
- Hylian Shield
- Iron Shield

I don't know what's special about the iron shield....maybe it conducts electrical attacks or something? :P

I hope it just means they will break, and you have to go buy another one. Maybe some of the shields can be used for different stuff to give you a reason to have all three.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Maybe the different shields call for different circumstances? The only problem I'm dealing with is HOW many times you'll be needing to switch your shields....If it's only a couple times, this may factor in as being a useless feature of the game. However, I doubt we'll be getting the Hylian shield early in the game like we see in the demo.

That being said, I'll estimate that the wooden shield is light and easy to run with making you sprint a little longer than usual, but at the same time it is EXTREMELY weak against stronger enemy weapons. The Iron Shield is extremely heavy, is very durable, but hinders Link's movements and drains stamina fast when running. However it would give him great defense against most types of enemy weapons. The Hylian Shield could have an infinite meter, however this would defeat the purpose for switching out the shields. So I'll say that the Hylian Shield is a perfect balance between the wooden shield and the Iron Shield, being of moderate weight and moderate mobility, all the while giving great defense

Those are my estimates :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom