• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Triforces with Power?

I used to think that link was immortal because he had the triforce of courage. The curiosity shop cleared that up. Anyway, the individual triforces don't have power. Why do you think that is? Do you think that they should? Do you think they will in future zelda games? Almost every zelda game involves the triforce in some way or another, but for them to actualy be powerful, you have to have all three, courage, wisdom, and power. I will post a thread in the theory section that contains my thoughts on this subject. Tell me what you think and i'll put your ideas in my next post. Tell me what you think. Do you think it's stupid that the individual triforces don't grant power? Or do you think it makes sense? Tell me what you think!:)

Djinn

and Tonic
I understood that if the other pieces did grant some sort of power, then they would each be the Triforce of power. Wisdom and courage do not work the same way and are not the same thing.

The Triforce of power as it's name implies grants power. And the Definition of power is

1. The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.
2. A specific capacity, faculty, or aptitude. Often used in the plural: her powers of concentration.
3. Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might. See Synonyms at strength .
4. The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
5. A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others: the western powers.
6. The might of a nation, political organization, or similar group.
7. Forcefulness; effectiveness:

So it seems that the Triforce of power grants Ganon just that, Authority, strength, influence, and control over others. To me this is what the Triforce of Power grants. The ability to establish authority over others and the land. And any powers to aid in his domination. Plus also in the definition of power, I believe that the triforce adds to his natural abilities. As in greatly increasing the "Power" behind his magic and physical capabilities. And this would be the observed powers that are granted by the triforce.

Now courage and wisdom do not fall under these categories at all.

Courage is defined as

1. the power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain, etc.
the courage of one's convictions the confidence to act in accordance with one's beliefs

take one's courage in both hands to nerve oneself to perform an action

Which describes Link perfectly. He is perfectly willing to singlehandedly face down an overlord with the power of the gods, the giant monsters and large demonic army at his command. And be capable of succeeding. Even personally stand up to the very one who has the divine granted authority as defined above. If anything it appears to grant Link the capability to actually stand up to the individual that holds the Triforce of Power.

With Wisdom the definition is

1. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.
2. Common sense; good judgment: "It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things" (Henry David Thoreau).
3. a. The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge: "In those homely sayings was couched the collective wisdom of generations" (Maya Angelou).
b. Wise teachings of the ancient sages.

4. A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.

Now this can easily describe Zelda as well. She always seems to have important behind the scenes information for Link and helps him whenever she can. She is known for her judgment and ability to help others. As seen with her self sacrifice to help Midna in TP which lead to the defeat of Ganondorf and Zant. And the help she gave to Link in OoT disguised as Sheik. She was also help to Link in Wind Waker several times even before she knew that she was related to the Hylian royal family. Her decisions and aid always lead to the defeat of Ganon and success of Link.

So the Triforces of Wisdom and Courage do grant their owners abilities. Only they are not as flashy and noticeable as those granted from the Triforce of Power. Each piece seems to overlap each other in a way. Power does grant an authority over wisdom, but can be challenged by Courage. However Courage can lack wisdom and might not be successful without guidance.

As for immortality I do not believe that the Triforces grant this. In the stories of Zelda 2 the triforce pieces were passed along through the Royal Family of Hyrule. In Wind Waker the Triforce of wisdom passed along to each member of Tetra's family. But in the case of Ganon, I believe that being trapped in the Sacred Realm is the key to his longevity. In LttP when Link talks to certain individuals they mention that they have not seen a normal person in hundreds of years.

Wow! I haven't seen a normal
person in a few hundred years!
Let me talk to you for a while.

I once lived in the Lost Woods,
until the day I wandered into a
magic transporter...

The power of the Dark World
quickly turned me into this
tree shape...

I guess the two forests are
connected with each other...

This leads me to believe that time does not move in the Dark World/Sacred Realm. Which would actually fit in with the mythical worlds in a lot of mythologies all over the world. Typically in the magical/fairy/divine/etc worlds time does not move the same or at all like it does in the normal world. And since Ganon does spend most of his time locked in the Sacred Realm he does not age until he escapes. The real exception here is in Wind Waker he was frozen in time in Hyrule Palace with the rest of his army until the current era.

Djinn

and Tonic
The only noticeable difference I wanted to happen after Link acquired the Triforce of Courage was in Wind Waker. The redeads screeching at Link that used to make him freeze up in terror in the later dungeons, I thought after Link gained the Triforce of Courage that should not have stunned him.

Any other gained abilities would take away from the sidequests to pick up greater weapons or spells like Din's Fire. Although it would be interesting if he had a greater ability to cast Farore's Wind when owning the triforce of the goddess the spell is named for. Othern than that I would not want Link to gain any new powers when obtaining the triforce.

I've always liked to believe that the individual pieces make those people who they are.
Link (courage)-A ten year old kid willing to do all this stuff.
Zelda (wisdom)-She has an insightful dream in OOT and she should be wise being in a position of power.
Ganon (power)-Wants to rule all, incredibly strong, etc.

Its not that the pieces grant power, they go to the ones who are suited for it. Maybe the real triforce is the combination of these three people and that is why they are in so many games together...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom