• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Triforce Hole

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
You're not the first to come up with that theory, and you probably won't be the last. There is nothing that really supports the theory, but there's nothing that directly contradicts it either. That hypothetical fourth Goddess must have split very early, though, since all human (or rather Hyrulian) historians speak of three goddesses that created the world and left the Triforce (not Tetraforce) behind. Yes, they could be wrong. Yes, the Triforce could have been named after its triangular shape instead of the number of pieces that form it.

Unless we get an answer in the game (and I think that is rather doubtful), we'll never know.

Q

quordlepleen

I think they have a space is that the shape they chose is the only way to have only triangles in the shape instead of having a shape like a trapazoid. This is considering that the ammount of coloured triangles is to equal the amount of gods/goddesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dou6le Rain6owz

There isn't a fourth piece because if there was the term triforce wouldn't be correct it would be like a quadraforce

Michael Heide is right, "triforce" could refer to the triangular shape of the whole thing and not the filled in parts of it. Maybe the hole has something to do with the Twilight Realm or the Dark Realm or whatever other realms there are.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
If there was a fourth piece, it would have been a part of the legend, as it was stated in the creation story in OoT.

If there was a fourth Goddess who created a piece later, it would not have been a part of the triforce, but more likely an element of its own (like Force Gems).

If there was a fourth piece that the Hylians knew about, enough to depict on their Hylian shields, then why is no legend attached?

And if there was a fourth piece, tying together the three outer pieces that represent courage, wisdom and power, what would that fourth piece even represent?

The idea of a fourth segment of the triforce only raises more questions than it answers.

This is the theory of the Tetraforce you're talking about, there's actually a lot of speculation about this and it's not a completely random theory like some may think (even though, personally, I still think it is very unlikely). Here's a useful article about it if you want some further information.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Tetraforce

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I don't see any reason to view it as a 'hole'. There's three triangles, one supported by the tips of two adjacent ones. You can especially see the lack of emphasis on this supposed 'hole' when you look at the intro of OoX. It's just three triangles. That just happens to be the best way of portraying them.

OT:
You know Pascal's Triangle? (google it if not)
draw it out to n=7 (I think...somwhere around there) and highlight the odd numbers. ...TRIFORCE! (technically Sierpinski's Triangle, the first iteration of which yields the same pattern)
So the gaps here represent even numbers. not sure how to relate that to the Zelda triforce though

David

But you called me here...
OT:
You know Pascal's Triangle? (google it if not)
draw it out to n=7 (I think...somwhere around there) and highlight the odd numbers. ...TRIFORCE! (technically Sierpinski's Triangle, the first iteration of which yields the same pattern)
So the gaps here represent even numbers. not sure how to relate that to the Zelda triforce though

Actually, there is a gap in each of the individual triforce pieces by the even numbers. So, not quite the triforce.

Personally, when it comes to this theory, I don't really buy it. It just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't put the fourth goddess into some backstory if they intended to keep it there. Developers have even taken away the reference from the shield to keep this theory away. And, when you think about WW and the pieces assembling, there are only three pieces that make it up. Just needing three pieces to make the complete triforce kinda disproves the theory. And like Locke said, its just three triangles.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I'm very skeptical of this theory. We've never heard of this fourth piece in any of the games. Also, the little implication of the fourth piece on the Hylian Shield's design might be false; it could easily be coincidence or just the Triforce of Courage. Plus, the relic has been called the Triforce since the original game, so it's likely that the Triforce was always meant to have three pieces. Furthermore, the hole in the Triforce distinguishes the full Triforce from the pieces, so I guess it's a design element.

Djinn

and Tonic
I cannot help but wonder if all the pieces of the triforce fit together perfectly and make a complete triangle, would we instead theorize if the triforce is actually three pieces or just one single triforce. And the possibility of there being a fourth goddess ruling over the three that the large triforce might represent.

Or if there were a fourth piece, why would it be the only piece that is shown to be upside down? Would any fourth goddess represented by it be lower or of lesser status of the three meaning that they should be represented by some inverted piece, different from the others?

I think the three pieces making a triangle is enough. There are three sides to a triangle, and three triangles to make a complete triangle. And three virtues represented by the triangles. While the symbolism of three equilateral triangles making one is not new. It has been used to represent harmony and balance since the classical period.
548397492_67fcdeadeb_s.jpg

C

C_Dude1579

I see where you are coming from, but to make a triangle with three triangles, there needs to be a hole.

David

But you called me here...
I see where you are coming from, but to make a triangle with three triangles, there needs to be a hole.

But the hole does not necessarily need to be filled. The triforce has a hole, and it is a triangle. It is a triangle made up of 3 different triangles. No more, no less. The hole is only there because it has to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom