• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Triforce Clause

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
This is more of a question than a full fledged theory, but it puzzled me so I thought I'd ask for your guys opinion on it. When recently reading a section about the Triforce in the Zelda Encyclopedia, I noticed this line-
It is capable of granting the wish of those who lay hands on it, but only the first person to touch it will have their wish granted; it is said that their wish will hold true until the user dies.
In pretty much every section I've read in this book, if they include a detail it's to explain how something from a certain game does in fact make since. For example, the line above about the first-come-first-serve rule explains why the triforce disappeared when tkotrl jumped in and made a wish on it before Ganondorf could. But then, what the heck is that death clause referring to? What's the implication of that, that triforce wishes can un-come true as soon as the wisher dies? Here's a list of all the triforce wishes I can think of atm-

SS (Zelda and Link) The destruction of Demise
ALttP (Link) The undoing of the damage Ganon did
ALBW (Zelda and Link) Lorule's triforce to return
WW (tkotrl) For Ganondorf to be submerged under the sea along with Hyrule

So which of these is it referring to, if any? Probably not SS, because you can't make somebody not dead anymore. As for ALttP, Hyrule doesn't seem to have gone to a worse state by the time of ALBW so probably not (but if not, why?). I can see Lorule's Triforce disappearing, but then that mamakethe ending a little shallow. However, for WW, this could imply the the re-emergence of Hyrule (and of Ganondorf) could be possible in the Adult Timeline, which is the sort of story option Ninty likes to have available in case they need it. Am I misunderstanding or overthinking something here? Probably. But it seems like a very specific bit of information I can't exactly account for.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I guess it's just a general rule they made up rather than pulling from something that happened in the games before

Daphnes's wish though really throws in a loop in that clause, b/c firstly he's already a spirit, so....that counts I guess? But then he ceases to exist/dies right after, so what does that mean for his wish then? Clearly it still held up after his passing, so like you said, does that mean it is possible for old Hyrule to come back at some point? Did Daphnes know his wish was technically temporary and that Hyrule might reemerge in the distant future? Or if it is a permanent wish, then that rule is flat out wrong. I'm confused

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I really do feel like with the books, the info within is really pick and choose. There is nothing in any of the games that suggests a Triforce wish will be undone when the wisher dies, and honestly if this actually were the case it makes the Triforce weaker than it should be. Essientially a Triforce wish would be a band-aid over a problem with this clause, when in fact it should always solve the problem – and from in-game evidence alone, seems to work without any such consequence.

The popular theory I've seen is that clause was added to make it a possibility that the Great Sea, which the King made permanent at the end of TWW, could possibly recede and give access to ancient Hyrule once again.

Okay I went looking for the line. It's in the dark maze on the way to the Palace of Darkness. Not Misery Mire.
2022052222394000-05DC14F80A13996B94160CD375AFD506.jpg

2022052222394200-05DC14F80A13996B94160CD375AFD506.jpg

I also scoured my existing screenshots, and the Triforce also hints at something similar when you defeat Ganon.
2019091123394800-05DC14F80A13996B94160CD375AFD506.jpg

2019091123401200-05DC14F80A13996B94160CD375AFD506.jpg

2019091123404500-05DC14F80A13996B94160CD375AFD506.jpg

I don't really think it makes the Triforce seem weaker, though. The Triforce seems to transcend space (A Link Between Worlds) and time (Skyward Sword). The idea of wishes reverting eventually adds a level of balance to its philosophy and makes its course cyclical which works well imo.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
I know a lot of people think there is a fourth Triforce, but what is it? I ask because you guys seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
(P.S. I think Old Hyrule, the one that was submerge, eventually becomes the land of Hyrule from BotW.)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I know a lot of people think there is a fourth Triforce, but what is it? I ask because you guys seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
(P.S. I think Old Hyrule, the one that was submerge, eventually becomes the land of Hyrule from BotW.)
Sounds like you are thinking of the Tetraforce theory, which posited that there is a 4th Triforce piece that would fit in the middle of the Triforce.

I could never really take the theory seriously.

I guess it's just a general rule they made up rather than pulling from something that happened in the games before

Daphnes's wish though really throws in a loop in that clause, b/c firstly he's already a spirit, so....that counts I guess? But then he ceases to exist/dies right after, so what does that mean for his wish then? Clearly it still held up after his passing, so like you said, does that mean it is possible for old Hyrule to come back at some point? Did Daphnes know his wish was technically temporary and that Hyrule might reemerge in the distant future? Or if it is a permanent wish, then that rule is flat out wrong. I'm confused
He's a spirit, so he's already dead. Meaning that his wish won't be undone.

It might be on a case by case basis though, not a general rule; yes, the Dark World was transformed by Ganon's wish, but the Triforce doesn't just shine brightly and makes things happen; there's always a certain method. For example, Demise isn't just magically zapped out of existence, he has a giant rock fall on him and wipe him out in the present, and Fi eats him in the past. Daphnes wishes for Ganondorf to perish with Hyrule Kingdom, but it doesn't just zap him dead; Link kills him, fulfilling that part of the wish, which also fulfils the part of the wish where Daphnes wished for hope(there would never be any hope for him and Tetra if Ganon was still around). The method that the Triforce uses to make the SR into the DW is by overflowing it with malice, and that malice most likely belongs to Ganon; it would make logical sense for the wish to be undone if the Demon King is dead, as his malice no longer pervades the SR.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Sounds like you are thinking of the Tetraforce theory, which posited that there is a 4th Triforce piece that would fit in the middle of the Triforce.

I could never really take the theory seriously.

I know some people ardently buy into the Tetraforce thing, but it just feels like a parody to me. The sort of thing you'd see someone make up while wearing a fake neckbeard and glasses on YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom