• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Trial of the Sword Master Mode

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Stuck and losing patience with this sodding thing. Anyone got any tips for Master modes Trial of the Sword? Can't seem to make it past the first few floors without sustaining major damage.

For the Record Best tip i've had so far is eat for 30 min triple attack and go in with bombs on the early stages, sadly bombs take off i think 5 or 6 hearts which can screw a run over faaaast.

Stuck and losing patience with this sodding thing. Anyone got any tips for Master modes Trial of the Sword? Can't seem to make it past the first few floors without sustaining major damage.

For the Record Best tip i've had so far is eat for 30 min triple attack and go in with bombs on the early stages, sadly bombs take off i think 5 or 6 hearts which can screw a run over faaaast.
Don't forget, you can stack Extra Heart buffs with the other timed buffs. That helps a lot. More coming in an edit.

1. Use sneakstrikes and headshots when you can. If you can keep an enemy stun-locked far from the others, they don't tend to hear the fighting. This helps me a lot with the two Moblins on the middle floor somewhere. Also, if you can get a single headshot that mostly kills a Bokoblin but causes him to fall from the top of a tower, the fall may finish him off.

2. Don't cook the fairy. It may be tempting to get a lot of health out of one item, but sometimes you just really need that 'do over'.

3. Save your strongest weapons for the things that really really need them.

4. Don't knock Lizalfos into the water.

5. There is a specific level with two Moblins and a skull full of bokobs. Kill the Moblins first, obviously, but DO NOT BLOW UP THE BARRELS IN THE SKULL. If you do this, you will eliminate tons of great weapons (including the single strongest one you'll find in the first series of trials), plus all the food in the crates will either be burned up, pre-cooked, or eaten by the bokoblins. Kite them out, hopefully one or two at a time, and eliminate them with whatever is the best method for you.

6. Grab a Korok leaf from the relief level by cutting down some of the trees next to the fairy. It will come in great handy on level 9. Additionally, you should use the woodcutter's axe to get some bundles of wood (about 10) just in case you need to hastily make a cooking fire. But do not roast any ingredients before the relief level, if you do you can't use them as genuine ingredients and you will lose a ton of potential healing.

7. Save the Sledge for the Stone Talus. If you're good, you can snipe the ore on his back with an arrow, let him fall over, then hop on top and wait for him to stand upright. Then simply charge an attack to keep spinning and spinning until you're just almost out of stamina, then leap away. it should only take doing this 3 times to kill it, and if you're fast he won't regen enough to matter, and he'll never even get a chance to attack you.

That's all I can think of for now, if I think of more I'll edit and include them below this line.

Last edited:

funnier6

Courage~

First thing, defense boost is what you want. Oh, and extra hearts.

Second thing, use bombs to your advantage on all blue enemies.

Once your defense boost runs out you should've made it to the silver lizaflos which you will need the attack boost plus every arrow you have.

What part exactly are you having trouble with?

funnier6

Courage~
I would respectfully disagree. They can learn to avoid damage, but if they aren't taking hits then the boost is useless. The attack boost will always be useful.

You've beaten the beginner master trials with just triple attack boost?

Well I guess it must be strategic differences cause I don't think I could have.

You've beaten the beginner master trials with just triple attack boost?

Well I guess it must be strategic differences cause I don't think I could have.
Yes. Though for me it ran out on level 9, by then I don't really need it because the kills that come after are head shots for the snipers, the Korok Leaf for the bokobs on the platforms, any thrown weapon for the Silver Moblin, and then, if I need to, a secondary Attack Boost item (either 2 or 3) made from what I picked up along the way for the Hinox.

But really, the attack boost is highly useful. It kills enemies faster, meaning the buff will be on for more levels. Also fewer enemies are around to attack you at all, so you're less overwhelmed. It means a sneak attack that might not normally be fatal, is fatal, which accomplishes the above statements. It also saves weapon durability for later levels and situations. But the defensive boost is literally only useful if you're being hit, and given the nature of the trial, YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING HIT. If you're getting hit too many times, it means you're doing something wrong and need to find a drastically better strategy. And of course that means if they aren't getting hit, then the boost is completely useless because it isn't coming into play at all.

funnier6

Courage~
Yes. Though for me it ran out on level 9, by then I don't really need it because the kills that come after are head shots for the snipers, the Korok Leaf for the bokobs on the platforms, any thrown weapon for the Silver Moblin, and then, if I need to, a secondary Attack Boost item (either 2 or 3) made from what I picked up along the way for the Hinox.

Oh, I just noticed point five of your earlier post, are you sure the weapons are destroyed immediately? Because I've always blown them up and then the weapons are on fire but still there.

That's interesting strategy for the talus, spin attacks never occurred to me.

Another important thing is to find and open all treasure chests and to use the sheikah sensor and magnesis to find them.

Oh, I just noticed point five of your earlier post, are you sure the weapons are destroyed immediately? Because I've always blown them up and then the weapons are on fire but still there.

That's interesting strategy for the talus, spin attacks never occurred to me.

Another important thing is to find and open all treasure chests and to use the sheikah sensor and magnesis to find them.
They aren't, but given how ineffective the barrels are in MM, the destruction of the foodstuffs and the chance you won't be able to get in to grab the weapons means their destruction is imminent, or worse still the Bokobs will loose their own weapons and go for the stronger ones that are also on fire, and then you're right proper f*cked. That Moblin Club has a DR of 27 base. Flaming, it will one-shot you.

funnier6

Courage~

But really, the attack boost is highly useful. It kills enemies faster, meaning the buff will be on for more levels. Also fewer enemies are around to attack you at all, so you're less overwhelmed. It means a sneak attack that might not normally be fatal, is fatal, which accomplishes the above statements. It also saves weapon durability for later levels and situations. But the defensive boost is literally only useful if you're being hit, and given the nature of the trial, YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING HIT. If you're getting hit too many times, it means you're doing something wrong and need to find a drastically better strategy. And of course that means if they aren't getting hit, then the boost is completely useless because it isn't coming into play at all.

I somehow missed the entire second half of this. I see how it could be useful, but literally the only time I found a triple attack boost useful was against the silver lizaflos and I used it after my defense ran out. Lemme list up some pros.

I used the maximum amount of bonus hearts so having extra defense made those last a good long time, effectively saving my healing items for the later stages. If I accidentally blow myself up with a bomb, I lose like, a quarter of a heart so now I don't have to restart when that happens. Yes you're not supposed to get hit but this way if you do it's not the end of the world.

And really killing blue enemies is very simple with bombs so an attack boost is just a waste, killing black bokoblins and lizaflos takes some finesse but as long as you take them on individually you're fine.

This has definitely been very educational though, I thought I had tried everything and then you say you used a deku leaf to blow bokoblins off platforms. And here I was using arrows. :P

It seems that any strategy that succeeds is a worthy strategy.

The silver lizalfos in the starter trials is easy if you climb up above the platform, throw bundles of wood down and light them. The lizalfos will stay in the fire and slowly die. In the raft level, I recommend a korok leaf, you can just blow the bokoblins into the water and take their weapons.

Watch this video, carfully, and at least a few times ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNIrprNb77o&t=12s

That guy breezes through master mode's TotS, and never takes a single hit of damage. Pay close attention to exactly what he does and how he does it on each level ... make sure you understand which of the game's mechanics/physics he's taking advantage of, and why.

If you can grasp what this guy is doing, and why, it will really open your eyes to the proper strategies for each level (at least one strat for each level). And even if you can't do exactly what he does - because some of the stuff he does takes some damn good timing and skill - you can see how to better approach the rooms/levels using whatever skills you do have, and can implement to help you.

On top of everything else, that video is just fantastic. If you had not played this game before, you'd think this was simple ... that's how easy he makes it look.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
..... Seriously this is a thread asking for advice not advertising a youtube video @Wiggum a perfectionists speed run doesn't help someone who is struggling with it at all, in fact it makes it worse as the perfectionist is more likely to take risks than the dude going through it fresh and so the person struggling is gonna try to copy and **** it up.

Seriously stick to advice not posting videos, the ones such as that, that i've viewed have NOT helped a bit with ToS due to them all doing strats i'd consider way to damn risky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom