• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Trails of Cold Steel Finally Jumps to Switch

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer

In what seems like an eternity for this fan favorite series, Trails of Cold Steel 3 finally makes the jump to Nintendo's hybrid system. For the uninitiated, the third entry can be likened to Fire Emblem: Three Houses in that you play as a teacher tasked with rearing a new set of classmates and exploring on free days. Battles are also somewhat similar with free movement and basic attacks, but the execution is a bit simpler since everything you need is mapped to the face buttons a la Persona 5. The story is engrossing, and the characters each feel unique and relatable if not a bit tropey on the surface level; their backstories are fleshed out in time.

Now, seeing as this is the third entry, should you track down the others and play them or wait for the inevitable Switch port? I would recommend waiting if you don't have access to them (PS3, Vita, PS4, PC), but ToCS3 should have a dedicated menu to summarize the past games' events if you just want to start fresh. Erebonia is the shared world in which civil war threatens to break out as the newly formed Class VII embark on operations to uncover the culprits.

The flames of war will ignite early spring 2020! ...or so it goes

I've never been intrigued by this series, I have a PS3 & 4 & Switch but I'm not compelled to pick any of them up.

I didnt even realise it was a strategy game. I thought they were more in line with Ys games.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've never been intrigued by this series, I have a PS3 & 4 & Switch but I'm not compelled to pick any of them up.

I didnt even realise it was a strategy game. I thought they were more in line with Ys games.
In the very least you should try the demo on PS4, but I don't think this would be your cup of tea. The games are pretty text-heavy and can involve some busywork, but the story, characters, and general worldbuilding are all worth it (on top of a fantastic combat system).

Out in the field, you can ambush enemies to stun them (attack from behind) and then trigger battles, which take place in an arena. The Ys likenesses probably come from flashy stuffs like the S-Crafts shown in trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom