• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Trail of Shards (A Twilight Princess Fan Fic)

I start all kinds of fan works and never finish them, but we can have fun with this one while it lasts. Without further ado, Trail of Shards.

---------------------------------------------------------Chapter 1-------

It was strange, being back home. Link lay in bed for a while, reflecting, staring at the ceiling, and waiting for a reasonable justification to get up. Hyrule was safe now. His work was done. Now he was supposed to go back and live a normal life, as Link the affable ranch hand from Ordon Village. Could he accept that? He didn't know. But what did he want, if not this? This was his home, the place he had always thought back to on lonely nights under the vast skies of Hyrule Field. What other path would he take, if not this?

There was one other path he would consider taking, actually. A better path? Probably. But impossible to realize.

There were new shadows on the walls. Link had absent-mindedly rearranged some of his furniture yesterday after coming home from the ranch, hoping that the change would be refreshing. It hadn't exactly worked; not for long anyway. One shadow seemed to curve into part of a shape Link knew well, one prong of an enchanted helmet.

There was the reasonable justification he'd been looking for. Link got out of his bed and rearranged the objects that had created the offending shadow. He couldn't think about her anymore. She had broken the mirror.

Now Link was on his feet. What to do now? Make food, probably. Breakfast. Link picked up his lantern and headed for his cellar. He hadn't exactly been handsomely rewarded for his brave deeds, but several of the people of Castle Town and Karikariko Village had seen fit to give him cheeses, bread, sides of meat, and various other useful items in their appreciation.

The cellar was a mess. The new food had been stuck in with the old in somewhat of a hurry; a string of sausages was draped over an ancient box of sugar candies, a bag of unusable flour cradled a fresh one, and two jars of pickles, one old, one new, sat side by side companionably. To make matters worse, spiders and an assortment of other creatures had taken Link's absence as an invitation to move in. Link frowned as he pulled a roll out of a crate of eggs, sending something with either six or eight legs, it was hard to tell, scuttling away. He would have to sort through all of this sometime soon.

Just as he was about to go back up the ladder, he heard a knock on his door. He frowned, then sank discreetly back into the shadows. He didn't really want to talk to anyone right now. Food had been somewhat hard to come by, out in the untamed world away from Ordon, and Link had picked up the habit of being watchful and possessive while eating. Perspective gleaned from time spent as the majestic green wolf had made him more watchful and possessive in general, on top of that.

The would-be visitor gave up. Somewhat unsettled, Link sat down on top of a box to eat his roll. He didn't want to go back up quite yet, not if it meant potentially interacting with people. He wanted to be alone.

She broke the mirror. On purpose. She wanted to leave for forever. To leave him for forever.

Something was moving in the darkness, something bigger than a spider or a rat. Link shone his lantern at the object and saw... himself. A mirror. There was a mirror in his cellar. That mirror. Link couldn't believe he had forgotten about it, especially not after everything that had happened with the Mirror of... Something clicked in his mind, and he got up and walked towards it. Hardly daring to breathe, he searched carefully along the wooden casing for the latch that would set the glass free. A click--the case opened to reveal that the glass had jagged edges.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There totally is a mirror in Link's cellar. I saw it and went, "Aha, story!"

This mirror isn't somehow magically the one that shattered. But who says there has to be only one?

I don't really know for sure where I will go with this, but it will be epic, and Midna will be in it.

This story coincides with a 300-word story fragment I submitted to the Writing Community Competition, the one that had to have a theme about Epona. I will find a way to merge them if I get that far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom