• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern TPHD or SSHD?

TPHD or SSHD?

• TPHD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SSHD

• Unsure

• SomethingelseHD

• Total voters

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Oh no not this discussion again :/

I'm actually not that bothered to be honest, I still feel it's early for both to be remade despite the significant gap between the two. The Wind Waker had more of a reasoning behind it's remake in my eyes; it's increasing rarity, the fact that it wouldn't be available to play on the Wii U, fixing common flaws and negative perceptions of the game and, of course, that it was the ten year anniversary. So that ramake--even though early--was the best option for Nintendo, not just for what I mentioned above but to also increase sales for the Wii U as a whole.

Now, I still believe that an TP and SS would be a more popular option as far as remakes go, so I guess it's best to discuss which is the better option. Well it's Twilight Princess for me and for a range of reasons. I recently posted why I would like to see a TP remake in this thread, but this isn't a simple preference of games. I do love visuals in TP, but they do show age, especially in this significantly advanced era of gaming - thus they can be greatly improved. Now while SS can still look a lot better on the visual front, that significant jump won't seem as big as it would with TP. Even with The Wind Waker's remake, even though the visuals look stunning, it still doesn't get that "wow" factor for me and I feel the same would happen with Skyward Sword. Due it's unique graphical style, it can get away with lack of power -- overall, there is much more room for improvement, or potential, with Twilight Princess - graphics wise.

Combat is a big reason, possibly the main, in why I wouldn't want an SS remake. It's no lie, if you have seen a few of my opinions about this game, then you'd know I dislike the Motion Plus controls, like a lot of people, which seemed to be a love or hate thing - effectively, Skyward Sword's main advantage as well as its main drawback. It's this controversy that could bring a lot of negativity towards a possible remake. Do they keep the same control scheme? Do they manipulate the control scheme to fit the Wii U GamePad or a possible new console? Well either choice would get some criticism - the former option would be seen as not much of an improvement, essentially they are keeping the same controls, not improving or switching it up. Since a lot of people dislike that control scheme, then it could be seen as a big drawback and with no significant change, then it's impact as a remake would be diminished. While on the other hand, changing the control scheme would ultimately change the way the game works itself. Like I said, Skyward Sword's selling point was also it's main drawback, but overall, it was still it's main selling point - taking that away could have the game itself and fans of the previous motion controls.

In relation to the paragraph above, Twilight Princess wouldn't suffer the same controversy. This game had two separate control schemes due to it being released simultaneously on two consoles - the Gamecube and Nintendo Wii. Since the Motion controls on the Wii were quite underutilised due to it being--essentially, a port--this makes it slightly easier to change without changing fundamental gameplay elements. I explained in the thread dedicated to TP remake, on why controls and combat alike would be a great motive for a remake, so I'll just cover those points briefly. I actually didn't mind the minor motion controls, and this beneficial to the GamePad in my opinion, as it doesn't need over-the-top motion. So the main form of motion would be the Gyroscope, which would improve aiming greatly - while it could also be benefit other motion-like controls, if implemented. There are also a number of other points, but I'll stay on topic, as this thread is more related to which option is the better.

I think these are the twomain logical reasons, for why Twilight Princess is the better choice for a remake, and I've tried to avoid any biased opinions. However, I also feel that a TP remake would be better from a sales point of view. It's no lie that TP was more of a commercial success, and I think that due to its initial attraction - being the more realistic setting and darker story themes, which could seem more appealing. This could potentially bring in new fans. One of the Wii U's target was to attract the "hardcore" fan base, and while that term is ambiguous, Nintendo are--at the moment--failing on that aim. This remake, purely from a hypothetical perspective, could be the game that truly sets the pace and the transition that the Wii U is trying to make - maybe this could set the tone for, the so called, "darker" games/genres.

I'd prefer Twilight Princess HD because TP's the older game, and its darker art style is more prone to aging. There were already complaints about the game shortly after it was released and TP's graininess has become even more apparent with the dawn of the eighth generation. Nintendo's also boosted enthusiasm for a visually upgraded return to TP's look with the E3 demo from over two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom