• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess TP Is, to Me, the Best Game on the Wii, and the Best Zelda Game. Your Thoughts?

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
That is all I have to say. I just played through it again. The erie atmosphere is of the best and most immersive in gaming history, only topped by games like Dark Souls and Demon Souls. The music is absolutely amazing (as expected from a Zelda-title), it suits the atmosphere perfectly. The aesthetics suit the atmosphere perfectly. Everything is perfect, at least it is to me. It's almost like I don't want an HD remake of it (even though it aged terribly) because of how the muddy textures add to the gritty tone. The story is one of the most interesting ones I've seen from a Zelda game, well, after the first three dungeons. The first three and everything leading up to them are a pain to get through. I love this franchise, this game in particular. I hope we see a Zelda game like it in the future. That is all, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I love Twilight Princess too, possibly my favourite game of the 7th generation and my second of all time.

I'm glad you share my opinion, but I think this thread is more suited to the Blog section as it's kind of you just giving your opinion rather than presenting a topic to dicuss. You could possibly make a thread asking a question to others asking where they rate TP on their list.

Edit: I hope you don't mind, but I've changed the thread title so it's more engaging.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I... actually disagree completely. It's my least favorite Zelda game. I hated the gritty and muddy colors. The characters were all bland and boring, Midna was horrible and her "character development" was a flop. She was a terrible partner character. Bringing Ganondorf in out of nowhere ruined Zant for me. The story was mediocre at best. The character designs weren't anything special; actually, TP Link and Zelda's designs are among my least favorites in the series. The dungeons and bosses were all too easy and there wasn't a single challenging thing about this game. I will admit that I liked the City in the Sky dungeon, though that mostly stems from the fact that I really like the concept of floating castles in the sky. I also liked a couple soundtracks, like Midna's Lament (the only thing about Midna that I actually liked), but overall the soundtrack wasn't anything particularly memorable. I liked the size of the overworld, but it was far too empty and devoid of content. In general, I really, really do not like this game.

I find it pretty neat how we both can have polar opposite opinions about the same game, heh.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
hahahaha....wii game
but yeah,i thoroughly enjoyed the game,i was actually having a tough time as a kid deciding which i liked better,this or wind waker
i settled on wind waker but this is...just yes

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That is all I have to say. I just played through it again. The erie atmosphere is of the best and most immersive in gaming history, only topped by games like Dark Souls and Demon Souls. The music is absolutely amazing (as expected from a Zelda-title), it suits the atmosphere perfectly. The aesthetics suit the atmosphere perfectly. Everything is perfect, at least it is to me. It's almost like I don't want an HD remake of it (even though it aged terribly) because of how the muddy textures add to the gritty tone. The story is one of the most interesting ones I've seen from a Zelda game, well, after the first three dungeons. The first three and everything leading up to them are a pain to get through. I love this franchise, this game in particular. I hope we see a Zelda game like it in the future. That is all, thank you :)

TP and OOT are my favourites. The only problem is the difficulty and the aged graphics. An HD remake with a hard mode would be perfect.

Honestly OP, I feel like everything you liked about Twilight Princess can be said about Majora's Mask, while many of the negative things said in this thread about TP cannot. I did like Twilight Princess, but I feel that for me it sits about in the middle of the spectrum in terms of zelda games (possibly middle-high). What it has going for it in terms of character design, overall design aesthetic, mechanical/control competency (Gamecube Version anyway), story and pacing, I would say it loses in gameplay challenge.

But truly, I have to say that I don't rate Zelda titles like I do other games. Instead I judge them individually on several separate criteria: story/linearity/pacing, gameplay mechanics, dungeon complexity, aesthetics, and minigames. To give you an example, Twilight Princess fails miserably at linearity and pacing, but shines in story, aesthetics and dungeon complexity. Oracle of Seasons has a flat story and isn't paced very well and has abysmal minigames, but its dungeons are fairly difficult. Majora's Mask has an amazing story, fun minigames and an absolutely phenomenal gameplay mechanic (several, in fact), but is fairly linear if you're not indulging in the many sidequests and is over relatively quickly.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
hahahaha....wii game
but yeah,i thoroughly enjoyed the game,i was actually having a tough time as a kid deciding which i liked better,this or wind waker

I am on the same boat!

But yeah, I think this game is great. And while it isn't quite my favorite, there are so many aspects of it that I enjoy. My only gripe with it, like most others, is how poorly Ganondorf was shoved into the story. Sure, Zant makes one or two references to a god who granted him his power, but those were one small lines of the dialogue. There are many better ways they could have introduced him into the story, and still have a plot twist.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!

Just kidding. Twilight Princess is my favorite, too - though I have some mixed feelings on whether it is "the best." On one hand, it is my favorite Zelda title for REASONS. I love the style of it - it felt both real and unreal ... I kind of thing future games should stick more on the unreal/animated looking style, but I really think the "grit" fit TP's plot perfectly. As can be seen in another thread on here I made recently, I like the semi "Western/Frontier" vibe of the game. I loved the themes about animals / being an animal and about "darkness" and dark not being evil... I love that a lot of the turmoil in Hyrule is due to minsunderstandings and how the Hero is hated and feared in his "dark" form, but you still save people. I ADORE MIDNA. She is one of my favorite characters, ever, with her delightful snarkiness - definitely Link's best partner in my opinion (though I think she could have been more free with information on enemies... I miss that whenever I play TP).

In other words, I absolutely LOVE Twilight Princess.

At the same time... I also feel like the gameplay wasn't challenging enough and like certain earlier titles - particularly Ocarina of Time - were better-constructed gameplay-wise. There's a lot of borrowing from that game for TP's structure and there's probably not enough uniquness to make the game stand out like OoT stood out from its predecessors. So when it comes to arguments of which games are "the best" I wind up being caught between "Do you mean structure or theme? Do you mean mechanics or my personal favorite?"

By the way, I've not played the game on the Wii, I have it for GameCube, which may be an influence as Link's left-handedness and other quirks are preserved for the original system it was slated for.

Sheik

:the:
I'm going to express my opinions about Twilight Princess through incredibly disorganized lists of negatives and positives, so here goes. Something to note, I've only played TP once and that was a while ago, so I might be a bit foggy.

Positives
+ Dungeons. I think TP had some of the best dungeons in the series. Lakebed Temple, Snowpeak Ruins, City In The Sky, and others; they all had great designs, intricate puzzles, and nice aesthetics.
+ I liked the overworld. It was without a doubt large, and while others may criticize it for being fairly empty, I found stuff to do. You know if you see a huge flock of birds just flying around somewhere, and you shoot them all down, you'll get a reward of rupees? Yeah, that was pretty neat.
+ The whole wolf mechanic was also pretty neat... I guess.
+ Swordplay whilst on horseback was, again, pretty neat.
+ Zelda seemed to be the most... mature Zelda in the series. Like a Zelda you'd be able to believe could actually rule something.
+ bomb arrows
+ Music was good.
+ I should probably be saying things about, for example, pacing and atmosphere and character development here, but as I said, I haven't played the game in a while - probably a year or so - so I'm still foggy. Moving on...

Neutrals
~ Bosses I felt were forgettable, at least most of them. I wouldn't call any of them bad, however.

Negatives
- Can I just say that this game takes way too long to get going in the beginning? I think I remember something about, like, bringing some lady's cat back to her, or something. It could have been shortened. A lot.
- You know, the pacing in general was kinda mediocre.
- Ganon's little incursion into the plot wasn't exactly superb.
- This game is easy (combat-wise). Enemies are easy to kill and don't inflict much damage.
- Many of the items become almost pointless or obsolete shortly after you obtain them.
- WHAT THE **** IS A BOOBLIN
- Rupees... are pretty useless, yeah.
- Ilia sux
- That's all I'm able to say at the moment.

Overall, I give Twilight Princess the scores of 9/10 (as a game in general), and 7/10 (as a Zelda title). So... 8/10. Of course that score is subject to change if I ever decide to play it again.

Twilight Princess is definitely my favorite Zelda to date, although I can’t claim impartiality and claim that it’s technically the best of the series. I suppose the discussion about gameplay mechanics, story-telling, and overall presentation would be the best way to determine which Zelda is objectively the best, but I won’t attempt to do that (For the record, I believe Majora’s Mask to be the best designed Zelda game, and the magnum opus of the series at this point). Just consider this the gushing of a nostalgic fan-boy who has incredibly fond memories with many of the 3D Zelda games.

Almost all of my love for Twilight Princess is derived entirely from my love of Ocarina of Time. Like many around my age, OoT was the introduction to the Zelda series for me; I had dipped my toes into some others with demos and playing at a friend’s place, but OoT was the first one I went through and beat myself. I remember being completely fascinated by it the first time through; my video game experiences up to that point had been almost exclusively with Mario-esque platformers and RPGs in the vein of Pokemon, so it was a very unique blend of role-playing elements, puzzle solving, and combat. Although I find myself in the modern age growing weary of the same-old-same-old combination that seems to be growing stale, the first time be exposed to it was almost exhilarating. I was also a huge fan of the atmosphere and presentation besides being fairly young, thinking it was such a nice change of pace with the darker undertones and even somewhat disturbing imagery (Mario and Pokemon had nothing on the Shadow Temple and Dead Hand). I was also enamored with the plot, mainly because I thought the twist of going from a child to an adult in the same game and having noticeable physical differences was just the coolest thing ever. Add on top an absolutely amazing sound-track, and it was an instant favorite of mine.

I wouldn’t play Majora’s Mask until years later when I got the Collector’s Edition for the Gamecube. I had already played Twilight Princess by that time though, so I can’t really factor in what MM did into my reasons for loving TP so much. It should be noted, though, that MM was the logical continuation of OoT from a graphical and overall mood standpoint, and even pushes the boundaries further with its more mature tones and overlying theme of destruction. I say that’s worth noting because MM was the last instance we would see that type of mood and presentation until TP, at least in my point of view.

So enter in TP, a game I was beyond excited to play. I believe I got it for the Gamecube as soon as it was released, as I wanted to play it in the privacy of my own room instead of the living room where my family kept the Wii. Right from the beginning, I felt like a little kid playing OoT again (which is strange, because I think I was 13 at the time, meaning I was still kind of a little kid). I think the biggest difference for that age was that I had started hardcore gaming between when I first played OoT, and when I started on TP. I started getting into massive JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and the overall uniqueness of the Zelda formula didn’t seem all that special anymore. Regardless, TP managed to recapture that due to being, what I believe at least, to be the true spiritual successor to OoT. People seem to discount its presentation as being nothing but murky brown, and this misconception is something that I’ve never understood. Yes, a forest DOES have dark-green and brown colors, due to all the vegetation and trees. But I feel that the beginning forest area creates this stereotype that TP is “nothing but brown”, when this is hardly the case. TP does what OoT and MM did on several occasions and stylizes over-exaggerated locales to make a more identifiable landscape that isn’t too far outside of the realm of possibility. Whereas WW and later SS would go with pure over-stylization, making far too many uses of bloom effects and whimsical colors to a point where the locations no longer see like something nature could truly create or be a part of. TP has a vast snow mountain, a seemingly endless desert, a beautiful lake, and an active volcano.

A large part of what made me appreciate TP’s graphical style and tone was just how similar it was to OoT, both in presentation and just the familiar areas. Everything was back in full force, from Death Mountain to Lake Hylia, with some exciting new areas thrown in that a Zelda game had never had up to that point. The mood is also something that carried over, keeping the more foreboding undertones that OoT and MM had, making the threatening atmosphere even better with the stylized Twilight Realm that to this day is still kind of disturbing to be a part of. After the more light-hearted mood of the WW, I was glad to see that Zelda wasn’t reverting to classic “Nintendoism” of being overly colorful and hoping that barely existing subtle moods that do little to properly convey the same emotions onto the world that OoT and MM did before it. I feel TP takes it and runs with it, introducing even darker elements found in the Arbiter’s Grounds and the aforementioned Twilight Realm. Zelda seems to have reverted back to the WW style of doing things, which is fine with me, but just makes the Zelda series, personally, fade more and more into generic Nintendo-isms that do little to differentiate themselves from Kirby, Mario, Pikmin, Pokemon, and so many other Nintendo franchises.

But with mood and setting aside, I just liked how it played. Again, I first experienced TP on a Gamecube, so I had the traditional button-pressing control methods that I honestly prefer over any type of motion control. The gameplay in general felt like a logical continuation of the 3D line of games, so there’s really not too many reasons for me to prefer to other games, I suppose. I just REALLY don’t like motion controls for Zelda, and I hope it stays in the past from here on or at the very least becomes an option I can just ignore. What I really have to point out though is the music; it offered such a nostalgia trip, almost unlike any other game I can think of outside of pure fanservice games like Theatrythm Final Fantasy. Of special note are the Temple of Time and Serenade of Water themes, which I feel were done to great effect in this game, and played and the absolute most appropriate moments in the game.

And that was way too long. But yeah, I really like TP. I honestly think I’ve kind of “out-grown” the Zelda series, but not in the way that I’m too mature for it. More like I’ve slowly found out that I just no longer enjoy the formula that I’ve come to expect from it, or maybe I really just never liked it at all. My favorite games in the series seem to be purely nostalgia fueled, which makes me fear that I’ll never truly enjoy another 3D game in the series again (For the record, I thought SS was just terrible; I dragged myself through one playthrough, attempted a second one two years later, and didn’t get past the first dungeon because the only appeal of the game to me, initial novelty of never having played it, was long gone).

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I do think it's the best Zelda for the Gamecube, since I've never played it on the Wii. I doubt that would make a big difference in how you experience the game, especially since I've always hated the Wii. But TP was an awesome game to. I too loved the dark and gritty look and feel. The game is pretty dark with kidnapped children, enemy invasions of friendly villages and some of the darkest cutscenes that ever made it to a Zelda game. Who can't remember the awesome cutscene where Ganondorf gets 'executed'? Or the possesed Link cutscene? I loved it all!

I also agree with a lot of people here that TP had one of the best overworld. Lots to see, lots to do, really vast, full with collectables. Plus, it was pretty epic to ride Epona, hold your sword button and release when you came accross an enemy. Many of the dungeons were also very memorable. Lakebed was one of the hardest temples ever. The City in the Sky had an awesome design and had a creepy, eerie feeling to it. Arbiter's Grounds was also pretty good and had one of the most fun to play bosses ever with the Stallord. Plus, the game took fishing to the next level, which is also an epic win since I spend hours fishing as a small kid in OoT.

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
hahahaha....wii game
The reason I said "wii game" is because I think there are better gamecube games. I am very aware of it originally being for Gamecube :)

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The reason I said "wii game" is because I think there are better gamecube games. I am very aware of it originally being for Gamecube :)

Oh, I just realized you meant Wii games in general. Originally I was under the impression you meant Zelda Wii games.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
TP was good, not great. It could have been great if they did it right. There is just so much wasted potential.

1. Hyrule Field is huge, i expected more overworld enemies. Not to mention you become OP really quickly so...it kinda feels empty.

2. Combat becomes too OP. I really liked the sword skills, but the enemies take too much damage. Especialy when you get master sword, which gives double damage. Not to mention you can instantly kill with ending blow too. It just feels way too unbalanced.

3. Difficulty is way too easy. Putting aside the enemies, the temple puzzles were underwhelming.

4. Long intro. First you gotta herd goats, and get baby cradle, get fishing pole, get fish, but slingshot, be a showoff, chase monkey ect... when you think its over then you become a wolf and gotta navigate a castle. You think thats over, lol nope collect tears from bugs pls.

5. Collecting tears and forcing you to play as wolf. Especialy when there is no way back either if you become bored.

6. Removal of magic meter. I dunno why they removed it, but i like magic based items. If you remove it, then don't display it at the back of the gamecase.

7. New items. Its just like key items. You only used it at the specific dungeon and barely use it outside. Only for a few things in hyrule field but thats it.

8. Magic armor. Would have been fine if they just kept the magic meter and used "magic" instead of rupees like WW. At least they could have made the rupee limit bigger. But my major issue is, it automaticly goes in effect when you equip it. In WW you had the freedom of turning it on or off whenever u wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom