• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Totk Champions

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
For what little story we had in botw, all of it was pretty much focused around Zelda and the four champions. And although their stories were concluded with the freeing of the divine beasts, they were still very important. I'm wondering now if they will be mentioned in totk, or even present as spirits. Presumably the divine beasts still exist after the calamity is defeated. And I would assume guardians are around too?
A secondary (but related) question is whether the new champions (Teba, Riju, Sidon, and Yunobo) will play important roles in the story. Presumably their regions would be affected by whatever sky-island-malice catastrophe is taking place.

Personally, I don't think the og champions will play any role in this. We looked into their characters, we brought their spirits to a point where they can rest. As much as I would like the see them mentioned it would make sense for them to be ignored in this game. I am curious to see what they do with the new champions though...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Yeah, I don't really expect to see the original champions as a story point at all here. I can still see them being mentioned in relation the new champions, but only as a point of reference or individual motivation. They've been laid to rest like you said and it seems the plot is moving on from them, and from the Sheikah tech as a whole, divine beasts included. AoC gave us time with them, so now I really want a hard focus on the new champions in TotK.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Presumably their regions would be affected by whatever sky-island-malice catastrophe is taking place.
I don't think there would be such an event since they confirmed we'd be able to venture in the skies and beyond locations in botw
Screenshot_20221005-183204_YouTube.jpg
They'd be concentrating more on these regions than coming back to the liberated lands.

I have a feeling that it's less likely for the new generation champions would be involved since they weren't in the trailer. You could say that they're expected to repay the favor for all Link has done. But comrade Link considers it his duty towards Republic of Hyrule rather than helping individual territories soyuz nerush-. Jokes aside, we've already seen the divine beasts in action in AoC and they played a vital role at the end of botw. So it's unlikely we'd see them again. And I doubt that the new generation would be as proficient at operating the divine beasts as their predecessors were. Can you honestly see Yunobo piloting Vah Rudania?
Without the divine beasts I doubt we'd see the champions either. Also, the new champions (except Sidon) lack enough charisma to be put in the new game

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think there would be such an event since they confirmed we'd be able to venture in the skies and beyond locations in botw
View attachment 67734
They'd be concentrating more on these regions than coming back to the liberated lands.

I have a feeling that it's less likely for the new generation champions would be involved since they weren't in the trailer. You could say that they're expected to repay the favor for all Link has done. But comrade Link considers it his duty towards Republic of Hyrule rather than helping individual territories soyuz nerush-. Jokes aside, we've already seen the divine beasts in action in AoC and they played a vital role at the end of botw. So it's unlikely we'd see them again. And I doubt that the new generation would be as proficient at operating the divine beasts as their predecessors were. Can you honestly see Yunobo piloting Vah Rudania?
Without the divine beasts I doubt we'd see the champions either. Also, the new champions (except Sidon) lack enough charisma to be put in the new game
Did you watch the latest trailer? Death Mountain is spewing malice now and there's giant glowing glyphs all over on the surface. The sky is not going to be the only focus and just because the champion successors haven't appeared in trailers yet doesn't mean they won't. We still only have teaser trailers. We have yet to see any gameplay trailers yet, much less story trailers.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Did you watch the latest trailer? Death Mountain is spewing malice now and there's giant glowing glyphs all over on the surface. The sky is not going to be the only focus and just because the champion successors haven't appeared in trailers yet doesn't mean they won't. We still only have teaser trailers. We have yet to see any gameplay trailers yet, much less story trailers.
Screenshot_20221005-191012_YouTube.jpg
Oooh yes I didn't realize the fact that it was malice now that I took a closer look it's not orange and doesn't look like lava.

Now if you think it the the other way, the writers didn't give much character to the new champions because they could in the sequel.

Ok let's just hope that Yunobo went through a transformation since we might be revisiting Death Mountain again

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh who says Yunobo needs to go through a transformation? I think he was pretty damn good in AoC. So he might get his time to shine.
Or maybe the story goes into a different direction and we don't see much of the new champions. It's too early to tell but it would be cool to see all of the new champs again INCLUDING Yunobo ;)

I'd rather the Champions not have a major story involvement in Tears of the Kingdom. Unless the Divine Beasts are somehow still relevant which I doubt it--because piloting those was the purpose of the Champions. I think the successors already experienced the arc/closure necessary in helping Link conquer the respective Divine Beasts that took out the Champions. I would expect them to be in the game, but it's really unnecessary for them to be driving the plot in any way.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
they'll undoubtedly be mentioned, but yeah safe to assume they'll have little presence here, and I can't really guess to what capacity we'll see the successors, could be a lot or could be barley at all

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
The original and new champions had their time in the spotlight. There'd be no need for either to have a major presence in BotW2.

In the case of the newbies, I'd prefer they didn't since they were mostly unmemorable anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom