• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 10 Locations Throughout Zelda

Somewhat inspired by Axle's article on the main page. I was going to put some description between each of them but unless you guys all want this to be another 3000 word long post i'll keep it short and sweet, but feel free to put your own in.

10. Skyloft (Skyward Sword) - Who said I hated SS? Skyloft is by far my favourite location in SS, it has the most going on and feels homely. I don't like the attitudes of most of the characters but it is a nice size. Its nice to see a hub this big and detailed.

9. The Sanctuary (A Link to the Past) - I don't know why. Perhaps because i saw this place more than any other in Alttp because i loved the music and the thrill of being around Zelda so much and so close felt quite epic to me. A sanctuary is a wonderful place for Zelda and Link to share a few scenes, I'll always love the place for reasons that totally elude me.

8. Temple of Time (Ocarina of Time) - Really, what can anyone say about this. Epic music, epic reasons for being there, epic design and epic scenes take place there... genre defining, legendary and revolutionary scenes.

7. Clock Town (Majora's Mask) - Another hub, it took me quite a while to like Clock Town. At first it felt as if it had an overly complicated layout with more to see that you could actually interact with but as the game progressed i found myself liking it more and more. Having the clock tower as a centre piece is simple and genius for a game all about time and impending doom.

6. Kakariko Village (Ocarina of Time) - I really loved the music in this place, and it had some great subsections like the graveyard and the well. The place had an overall menace to it and felt genuinely creepy day or night, kind of like a mini Termina when you knew what lay behind the walls of houses and around the corners...

5. Zora's Domain (Twilight Princess) - I love this place. It is definitely my favourite place in the entire game. I think the Zora's were fully realised in TP and their Domain had never looked better. =]

4. Windfall Island (Wind Waker) - Wind Waker's version of Kakariko Village, a bustling and populated, side-quest heavy community. I love spending time here and some of the best and quirkiest characters can be found on this island. It isn't as impressive as Outset Island or as Epic as Dragon Roost but it has its own unique charm that presents itself in spades.

3. Outset Island (Wind Waker) - How could I not love this place. It was a wonderfully designed location and the perfect place to start the Hero of Wind's adventure. Watching it fade into or out of the distance from the King of Red Lions is the epitome of life affirming scenes in a video game for me that I've had the joy to play.

2. Lake Hylia (Ocarina of Time) - I never get bored of traveling to and roaming around this place. Even now to cure some boredom and inject some Zelda into my day I still mount Epona and ride to this lake. Be it N64 or 3DS the magic is still there and looks beautiful day or night.

1. Lon Lon Ranch (Ocarina of Time) - My home away from home in a rich world. (I could write an essay as to why but I won't)

I've just realised this is pretty much a 3D game love in, but they are the ones which are able to make more of impression on me. Looking forward to reading everyone else's choices.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
cool thread spiritofzant. here are my favorites:
10. Mabe Village
9. Animal Village- makes me wanna breakdance
8. Goron City
7. Windfall Island
6. Papuchia Village
5. Zora's Domain
4. Kakariko Village-OoT
3. Castle Town
2. Clocktown
1. Skyloft

That last post was 3000 words? Seriously? Anyhow, I'm sure Axle will be glad that he's inspiring the hearts and minds of people around the world to make way for a better tomorrow./trolling Your choices are great and match up similarly to mine. Here goes nothing:

10. Outset Island (The Wind Waker)-The starting point for Link's epic trek across the seas and one of the most atmospheric environments in the entire franchise. I'll never forget Orca's excellent combat training or the tears in the eyes of Link's grandmother as he departs.

9. The Sanctuary (A Link to the Past)-One of the reasons I adore installments like A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask so much is that the player is thrust into the action immediately. Traversing the area with Zelda sent a thrill down my spine and certainly influenced Nintendo's decision to give the princess a larger role in both the story and combat in later games like Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks.

8. Goron Village (Spirit Tracks)-The Goron Village in Spirit Tracks is not only one of the best designed train stations in Spirit Tracks with exceptional use of the whip and timed puzzles activated by switches but also boasts some of the most mesmerizing music Zelda has to offer. Combine that with the quest to deliver ice to the village and you've got one of the best locales in franchise history.

7. Goron Village (Ocarina of Time)-Yes, the location of the same name twice on one list but featured in different games. The Goron Village is one of the liveliest centers of activity throughout the entire Zelda franchise. The sights and sounds are sufficient to floor any player. The Goron beat that fills the air is mesmerizing. But the most moving aspect of the village-Darunia. Seeing his heart of stone break to the sound of Saria's Song and his subsequent dancing always makes me smile and is one of the franchise's most memorable moments for me.

6. Hyrule Castle (Ocarina of Time)-Never before or since has the main franchise castle performed such a large role in the franchise. As Young Link, you had to return multiple times while avoiding the guards to deliver the spiritual stones to Zelda and as an Adult, this-now referred to as Ganon's Castle-was the scene of one of the most epic brawls the series has to offer especially when combating Ganon with the castle ruins in the background.

5. Skyloft (Skyward Sword)-Skyloft was the most developed hub in the Zelda franchise. Period. The player actually felt a part of this tight knit-community. This is where the first emotional bonds were felt with the game's Zelda and where Groose bullied those weaker than him. The locale served as the perfect juxtaposition to the occurrences at game's end in the Sacred Grounds.

4. Kakariko Village (Ocarina of Time)-As Young Link, the best way to describe this location is a "sleepy village". The windmills mundanely buzz overhead as the carpenter's due their duty. The House of Skulltula aside, nothing is particularly bizarre here. Fast forward seven years and all hell breaks loose. The houses are burning

3. Clock Town (Majora's Mask)-Clock Tow is the perfect embodiment of Majora's Mask's atmosphere. This is first manifested in Link's meeting with the Skull Kid atop the Clock Tower. The powerful powers of perversion the demonic icon of Majora's Mask possesses corrupt the Skull Kid from his fun loving self in Ocarina of Time. The NPCS populating the area are painfully unaware of the fate awaiting them as the ominous looking moon approaches. Fittingly, the music speeds up as the three-day cycle progresses. And to top it all of, there is the mysterious figure of the Happy Mask Salesman, always with a big grin on his face.

2. Castle Town (Ocarina of Time)-Like Kakariko Village, it is an area laden with contrasts across seven years. Castle Town is transformed from a vibrant area with dancing, singing, and business of all kinds to one characterized by squalor and the screeching of Redeads.

1. Temple of Time (Ocarina of Time)-It's possible for me to go on for days why I believe this location is the epitome of all things Zelda, however, I'll try to keep things as succinct as possible. Upon entering the Temple of time for the first time, the atmosphere is what truly struck me. The structure is characterized by an air of finality and divinity. Being the area where Link must return to in order to travel across time, it is also lent greater importance. If that isn't enough, it's also the location from which Ganondorf enters the Sacred Realm and obtains the Triforce of Power, Zelda sheds her disguise as Sheik and is captured by Ganondorf's dark magic, and Navi departs at game's end.

10. The Great Sea- Wind Waker. Not sure if this counts, but I absolutely loved exploring the great sea, digging up treasure, and I loved the music too!
9. The Sanctuary- A Link To The Past. Not sure what it was about this, but I enjoyed being there. :)
8. Kakariko Villiage- Ocarina of Time. This place felt like home while I played Ocarina of Time. It seemed like it was a sentimental place and I really just enjoyed being there.
7. Outset Island- Wind Waker. I thought this was such a nice place. I loved the tower you could look out with all of the seagulls surrounding it. I loved Grandma's house. I loved the forest up top. I loved absolutely everything about this place. It had such a sentimental atmosphere.
6. Zora's Domain- Twilight Princess. It was SO beautiful here! It was just an elegant, beautiful place.
5. Clock Town- Majora's Mask. I loved all of the people here. I loved knowing that I had helped all of these people out, and they never even remembered it. I just felt so cool being in this town, knowing every move everyone will make. ^.^
4. Hyrule Castle- Wind Waker. This place was absolutely amazing. I loved when it was all in black and white and all of the enemies were statues, and then it was so cool watching the castle flood with color and life. Also, I loved the bottom room with all of the images of the sages from Ocarina of Time! And finding out Tetra was Zelda.. it was such a nice place. :)
3. Sealed Grounds, Faron Woods, Lake Floria- Skyward Sword. Not sure what it was about this place, to be honest. I liked knowing that Grannie, and later on Groose, were down there too. It was such a pretty, peaceful place with birds chirping, pretty flowers, the Kokiri. I put all of these places into one position because I consider them all to be almost the same, and I like them all the same. I loved the Parella, and Lake Floria was beautiful!
2. Skyloft- Skyward Sword. This place was one of the best "home" areas in the entire Zelda franchise. It was so closely knit, and you really got to interact with almost everyone! I loved everything about this place! Skykeep, Statue of the Goddess, Knight Academy, and the Bazaar! I also liked doing all of the side quests for everyone. :)
1. Windfall Island- Wind Waker. All I can do to describe this place is Home. Each time I played Wind Waker, and I believe its 10 now, I absolutely could not wait to get to Windfall Island. Get scared out at sea? Warp to Windfall Island. Get bored? Warp to Windfall Island. Get stuck? Warp to Windfall Island. Get sad? Warp to Windfall Island. This place was my sanctuary while I played Wind Waker. It felt like my home. I talked to everyone I could. I made myself known around town, heck, in my mind I even negotiated with with the bomb guy that I could live in his upstairs attick when I got tired! ^.^ It was just a serene place. My favorite place in any game, zelda game, ever. I will never get tired of windwall island. :)

HONORABLE MENTION: Private Resort, WW. Temple of Time, WW. Goron City, MM. Skipper's Retreat, SS. Dragon Roost Island, WW..

And believe it or not, Wind Waker isn't my favorite game, hehe. It is number 2 though! I love almost every place in Wind Waker.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
10. WW Outset Island
9. TP Zora's Domain
8. Termina Great Bay
7. TP Hyrule Castle Town
6. MC Castle Town
5. MC Minish Village
4. WW Hyrule Castle
3. ALttP Kakariko Village
2. TP Lake Hylia
1. Windfall Island

MW7

10. Faron Woods
9. Lost Woods (ALTTP)
8. Animal Village
7. Sand Sea
6. Lon Lon Ranch (OOT)
5. Snowpeak
4. Skyloft
3. Romani Ranch
2. Windfall Island
1. Clock Town

I also have a somewhat relevant observation that I want to share. Did anyone notice how Death Mountain actually used to be a befitting or well-suited name for the area it described in Adventure of Link? And then in Ocarina of Time Death Mountain became an ironic nickname since the area was a walk in the park.

10: Outset Island: WW
9: Dragon Roost Island: WW
8: Lanayru Sand Sea: SS
7: Skyloft: SS
6: Ikana Canyon: MM
5: Kakariko Village: OOT
4: Tarm Ruins: OOS
3: Zora Village: OOA
2: Tal Tal Mountain Range: LA
1: Clocktown: MM

10. Deku Palace (MM) - Love the music in this place.
9. Lost Woods (ALttP) - Preferably before obtaining the Master Sword because it has its own music when you visit.
8. Castle Town (TP) - Same reason as n.7, minus the Minish areas. I love going on the platform (where the arrow-selling Goron is) and looking over the central square, with Hyrule Castle in the background.
7. Castle Town (MC) - The whole place is bustling with activity and with plenty of places to explore in Minish-size.
6. Sacred Grove (TP) - Saria's Song playing in the background is the reason I come back from time to time.
5. Temple of Time (OoT) - It's just...epic! A lot of the game's plot circles around this place.
4. Fishing Hole (TP) - I always come here whenever I feel like another relaxing place. It's cool to have different seasons each visit, and the fishing game is my favourite.
3. Dragon Roost Island (WW) - Epic music, bird people, a tall peak with a dragon on top. Need I say more?
2. Kokiri Forest (OoT) - I like forest surroundings and the place where the game starts is fun to spend time in. The music is rather uplifting too.
1. Lake Hylia (TP) - The atmosphere, the music, everything. I just love to come here because it offers so much relaxation.

10 Ordon Village TP I love the home atmosphere and it had a really tight nit community of people that actually reacted with each other.
09 Zora's Domain OOT I love the Echo Chime like music. And the waterfall was beautiful. Plus i like hearing the frog like sound as King Zora moves lol.
08 Kakariko Village OOT I love the hidden atmosphere. It seems to be hiding horrible secrets from the get go. Plus the music is beatuful.
07 Hyrule Castle Town MC I love the way the place looks and the ability to Pick a Goddess charm to use in the game was awesome. And getting a tiny sheild from Zelda and the game pokes fun at you for it was memorable.
06 Cresent Island OOA it was a cool tropical concept in the past and present and the Tokays were just cool.
05 Gerudo Fortress OOT The concept of an Amazonian race is cool and was well Developed here. THe desert has always captured a spot in my heart... and maybe Links a pimp lol.
04 Desert Collosus TP For the same Reason as above but i love the emptiness. And the thought of storming a torture prison was awesome.
03 Dee Ess Iland PH i mean come on is Nintendo the only video Game company the guts enough to make an island the shape of the system you play it on. plus i love the minigame it was a good break from the game.
02 City in the Sky TP I thought that the art work and music was astounding. i would just come here to look down over the ledge. Plus as creep as the Ooccos are it was comfoting to be around them.
01 Hyrule Castle TP It was just Breath taking in scale and masterfully made. when i first layed eyes on it i was like 'no way......' it really felt like a castle. i would just catch myself playing with the Evil birds in the courtyard lol

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is one list that I just can't decide on. I can come up with a Top 10 list on the spot for a lot of things in Zelda, but this isn't one of them. Zelda's known for having gorgeous scenery and memorable music to fit it, and they're all so freakin' wonderful that I just can't decide.

If I had to choose the best area in Zelda, though, it would without a doubt be the entire Lanayru Province in Skyward Sword. This place is the ultimate mix of action and puzzle-solving in a Zelda overworld and its atmosphere couldn't be thicker. It's basically a flawless area, and that's a rarity indeed in a section of an overworld in Zelda.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Honorable mentions to TP's Castle Town, Oot's Goron City, and WW's Outset Island.

10: The Lumpy Pumpkin. I always wanted to come here on my times off of the main quest. Whether it be destroying chandeliers (which was one of my absolute favorite moments from the game), chatting up the customers, helping Kina outwith pumpkin harvesting, or shredding my harp at night, I always liked coming here.
9: Lon Lon Ranch. I normally don't like ranch and cowboy stuff in my games, having been forced to live around it all my life, but here it somehow works. I don't know if it's the nice music, the horse racing, or that pretty redhead. Yeah okay it's that last one.
8: City in the Sky. There's a serious Laputa vibe from this place. I love that movie, and anything that feels like that in a game or elsewhere gets an automatic approval in my book.
7: Stone Tower. I liked the Ikana region as a whole, but Stone Tower really blew my mind with the inversion of gravity and the incredibly complex temple within, not to mention some subtle ties with the Golden Goddesses and the Sacred Realm here (you can see the entrance to the Sacred Realm in the first room, normal orientation.)
6: The Sand Sea. Again, I really liked the whole Lanayru Province as a whole, but the Sand Sea blew me away. I was awestruck as I was traversing the sea, watching the never-ending sand around me change into a lush ocean brimming with life. So beautiful.
5: Kakariko Village (OoT). If you were to ask me what my nostalgia for the Zelda series was like, I'd point you to this village. A fitting metaphor, considering the wonderful music and easy-going villagefolk, and the disturbing secrets the town hides underneath itself.
4. Temple of Time (OoT). I'm with ALttP on this one and how it's the epitome of Zelda (which complements my views on Kakariko Village.)
3 and 2. tied between Skyloft and Clock Town. I'm not gonna repeat myself, since I've already talked at length about these two in the starting towns thread. Suffice it to say, though, I'd live in either town given the chance.
1. The Spiral Descent. I really feel this particular area is a perfect marriage of gameplay and story. Everything ties back to it. The spiral shape itself lends itself to a very challenging and natural feel to battling, whether it be preventing the Imprisoned from reaching the top or battling your way through hundreds if not thousands of enemies to reach the bottom. The spiral shape is also a perfect way to tie the earth and sky together with what happens to the Island of the Goddess.

Last edited:
10) Ordon Village (TP) Although I'm not the biggest TP fan, I really liked Ordon Village. I enjoyed the atmosphere as I started the game, I felt it was a really nice village with a "home" like feeling, therefore it felt right beginning the game there.
9) Lake Floria (SS) The first time I dove into Lake Floria, I was amazed by the colors and how tucked away it all seemed. It may just be a waterway leading to a circular chamber, but when you jump out of the water to take a look around you will see beauitiful colors used to design the terrain paired with awesome music. I don't know why, I just loved this place.
8) Hyrule Town (MC) I got MC not too long ago and played through it twice. I really enjoyed the story and gameplay; most of all, Hyrule Town felt really alive, there was tons to do, especially with Kinstone Fusions. The fact that it always felt like something was going on made the game feel beyond a handheld.
7) Dragon Roost Island (tWW) The design of this island is great, and of course so is the Ruto people. There was a lot about this island I love, from Valloo himself, to the mail-sorting game, Dragon Roost Island is great.
6) Lon Lon Ranch (OoT) I think everybody who has played OoT loves Lon Lon Ranch. The story of Malon and her horse Epona is etched in history; the memorable music and the epic leap over the fence to free Epona is one of the best points in the game.
5) Kakariko Village (OoT) Once again, I have to point to the music here; whenever I am in Kakariko Village I always remember playng OoT as a kid, and remember how much fun I had.. The graveyard was a really cool part of the village, as was the well. I like how they implemented aspects that would require you to return to later.
4) The Sand Ship (SS) The Sand Ship was one of my favorite parts of SS. I didnt really love the Lanayru Desert and Mining Facility too much.. I mean it was great, but I just dont like desert themed locations. However, the sand ship was different, chasing the ship was entertaining, and I really liked the captain.
3) Faron Woods (SS) Forest-like areas are my absolute favorite, and SS nailed it in my opinion. I loved everything about the woods, the Kikwi were unique, the Great Tree was epic, and the flooding of the woods was unexpected and different.
2) Windfall Island (tWW) This island was always my favorite in the Windwaker, it was small, but it felt like a home away from home. The characters on this island were well designed and there was much to do here.
1) Clock Town (MM) Of course, in terms of top locations in Zelda, nothing can top Clock Town. For obvious reasons, I chose it because it is the center of everything in MM. A vast amount of side quests coupled with the hub of the entire game makes it my top pick. Not to mention the astral observatory was nearby with my favorite music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom