• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 10 Hack-and-Slash Games Suggestions

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm having a little trouble deciding some of the choices for my list of the ten best hack-and-slash games, so I'm reaching out to you guys for a little help. Suggest which games you think should make the list and why. They don't have to be in any specific order, although you're free to label them if you wish. Thanks ahead of time.

I already have the following games as for-sure entries, just so you'll know. If you wish to second them, great. If not, tell me why (although I doubt I'll change my mind).

Bayonetta
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
God of War II

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm never one for hack and slash games, just not my cup of tea so I may not be the best to ask however I tend to class the two Darksider games as "Hack and Slash". Even though technically it can be classed as an RPG and Action/Adventure, I would still class it as a Hack and Slash game as well.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You could add in Ninja Gaiden to that too, the first one especially, and maybe Onimusha too. I guess Lollipop Chainsaw another one as well? Other than that, can't really think of any others. God of War and DMC are the main series I think of whenever anyone says hack and slash.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm never one for hack and slash games, just not my cup of tea so I may not be the best to ask however I tend to class the two Darksider games as "Hack and Slash". Even though technically it can be classed as an RPG and Action/Adventure, I would still class it as a Hack and Slash game as well.

They have hack-and-slash elements (especially Darksiders II), but they're definitely Action-Adventure games at their core. I think calling them hack-and-slash games would be like calling Zelda an RPG (outside of Zelda II) just because it has RPG elements in it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
They have hack-and-slash elements (especially Darksiders II), but they're definitely Action-Adventure games at their core. I think calling them hack-and-slash games would be like calling Zelda an RPG (outside of Zelda II) just because it has RPG elements in it.
Yeah I see where your coming from but I thought, especially Darksiders 2, had a lot of hack and slash elements, enough for me to label it as a "Hack and Slash". I suppose Action/Adventure is probably the main, stand out genre but I have seen a few sources label this a Hack and Slash combined with Action/Adventure, so in my opinion I see it as a sub genre which in a way counts for me.

You can't have a top 10 hack-and-slash list and not include Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors, at least that is my opinion. I think these are the best Hack and slash games I've ever played, and each installment gets better and better despite the games hardly changing most of the time. It's certainly not the best games to the general community, but I do believe either titles deserve a place in the top 10 hack and slash games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
EDIT: These should be the top four...screw top ten.

Gauntlet
Diablo
Diablo II
Diablo II LoD

Last edited:

Dan

EDIT: These should be the top four...screw top ten.

Gauntlet
Diablo
Diablo II
Diablo II LoD

Someone that knows of gauntlet :O

Yeah I recommend you play gauntlet IV for the sega megadrive JJ, one of the few games that had 4 players, you would definitely be the coolest kid on the block with that game.

Bayonetta
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
God of War II

Its odd but I never considered the God of War stuff to be hack and slash, there always seemed to be too much moving around a world (climbing, mazes, puzzles) and different ways of doing things than smashing things in the face, much like DarkSiders. But then again i guess GoW games are pretty linear with poultry amounts of collectibles and little freedom except forward....

Anyway, i think its hard to find decent games in the Hack n Slash genre, as a rule it just doesn't seem to be very good, Dynasty Warriors is the first example people think of but few if any of those games are what I'd consider good, but since opinions are subjective i'm gonna just throw down a lot of Hack n slash games i've played and maybe it'll help your top ten.

Chaos Legion

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Heavenly Sword

WET

Ninety Nine Nights 1 + 2

Pandora's Tower (kind of)

There was a game on the Gamecube at one point that i never got to play but it looked hack n slash-y called Mystic Heroes you could maybe look into that. Also, the makers of Dynasty Warriors have made some Gundam games too, they may be hack n slash, not sure.
Also there is the Square-Enix game Nier, havent played that one either so not sure what it is, looks like it would be hack n slash though.

Edit:

I'm assuming you'd count 2D games too, if you do then Castlevania: Lords of Shadow- Mirror of Fate on the 3DS is probably the best example of 2D Hack n Slash, its very much unlike previous 2D CV games and feels more like a 2D God of War game.

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
1. Ninja Gaiden 2004 (black edition)
2. No More Heroes 2
3. No More Heroes
4. Muramasa - The Demon Blade
5. Code of Princess
6. Sengoku Basara 3
7. Devil May Cry 3 (special edition)
8. DMC - Devil May Cry (2013)
9. Metal Geear Rising - Revengance
10. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
8. DMC - Devil May Cry (2013)

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy -- which I can assure you I'm not, I only recently got into Devil May Cry, and DmC was actually the first one I got the chance to pick up and play -- but I can't really take that game seriously. It has lots of good action, but the lack of a lock-on system, the minimal variety in the second half of the game, the piss easy Style system, frame rate drops (in an already 30fps game), the lame-*** Devil Trigger mode, and horrendous dialogue & characterization left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a good game, but I personally wouldn't rank it as one of the best hack-and-slash games ever made.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I don't mean to sound like a fanboy -- which I can assure you I'm not, I only recently got into Devil May Cry, and DmC was actually the first one I got the chance to pick up and play -- but I can't really take that game seriously. It has lots of good action, but the lack of a lock-on system, the minimal variety in the second half of the game, the piss easy Style system, frame rate drops (in an already 30fps game), the lame-*** Devil Trigger mode, and horrendous dialogue & characterization left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a good game, but I personally wouldn't rank it as one of the best hack-and-slash games ever made.

You exactly sound like a fanboy. I don't like this new emo dante either, and sure the game has its flaws. But the graphic style and the non-stop morphing of your surroundings is awsome. I never had any issues of frame rate drops though, i have it on the 360 and just installed the game on my hard drive. And why the heck would you think that there is no lock on system? Its even clearly indicated in the manual how you lock on to enemies.

But really, first you dislike dynasty warriors because there is "very little strategy" (assuming you mean button mashing) involved. And now while this game has the "strategy" you mention you dislike this one too. Make up your mind man.

-------------------

So let me ask you this, if you dislike this title for having a minimal variety and a Piss easy style system, then why is Metal Gear Rising: Revangence in your list and how is that any better?

1. Combatwise its less complex and more repetetive compared to DMC. There is no chaining involved, mostly its either parry or blade mode/zandatsu. Pre-determined combos closly resembles that of KOEI's Dynasty Warriors series.
2. There are only 8 chapters, one of them is a intro/tutorial stage and the other one entirely a boss fight for some reason.
3. Even though there is a higher diffculties like in DMC, the game becomes quickly unbalanced due to overpowered weapons and infinite wigs (which is not considered as cheat since you still can unlock trophies/achievements)
4. Weapons suck in this game, you basicly want to go back to your sword only because the heavy attack button is also your secondary weapon button. That awkward switch when Raiden suddenly teleports big weapons in its hands. Only the Pole Arm has a decent movepool, Sai and Pincer Blades has no variety at all.

So yeah, what you play and what you say are kinda contradicting IMO.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You exactly sound like a fanboy. I don't like this new emo dante either

My distaste for the new Dante has nothing to do with the old one. Again, I've only recently gotten in to the DMC series, and DmC was the first one I actually played. The new Dante is just a bad character regardless of the previous one. It's like his personality splits three ways at the same time, and everything he says is incredibly stupid. He's not cool. He's a prick.

and sure the game has its flaws.

The flaws are really my main issue with the game. Notice how I only mentioned one thing involving story and everything else involving gameplay.

But the graphic style and the non-stop morphing of your surroundings is awsome.

Yes, they are. The game looks good, and the Limbo sections are excellently animated. That doesn't have anything to do with what I said, though.

And why the heck would you think that there is no lock on system? Its even clearly indicated in the manual how you lock on to enemies.

No, there's no manual lock-on option. Dante automatically aims at an enemy according to how close he is and what direction he's facing. You can't physically choose which enemy you want to target, and that's stupid in a fast-paced hack-and-slash game where enemies can come at you from every direction. It also makes hitting flying enemies overly tedious.

But really, first you dislike dynasty warriors because there is "very little strategy" (assuming you mean button mashing) involved. And now while this game has the "strategy" you mention you dislike this one too. Make up your mind man.

I never said I disliked DmC. I said it left a bad taste in my mouth. That does mean that I didn't love it, but it doesn't automatically mean I hate it. It has solid gameplay despite its flaws, and there's definitely strategy involved. There are just a lot of little things that bog down the experience.

As far as "very little strategy" goes, yes, it's the button-mashing. All you do is mow down waves of enemies that can't put up a fight worth a lick. That just doesn't interest me. I don't mind feeling like a badass, but effortlessly mowing down thousands of enemies is more akin to a snorefest.

So let me ask you this, if you dislike this title for having a minimal variety and a Piss easy style system

I said it has minimal variety in the second half. Throughout the first half of the game, it's very reminiscent of DMC 1, 3, and 4. It's all about chaining combos together. Then it turns into "LOL KILL BLUE ENEMIES WITH BLUE WEAPONS AND RED ENEMIES WITH RED WEAPONS". This is fine when done in moderation, but that's pretty much all there is towards the end of the game. It limits your options and takes away the fun of performing endless waves of combos.

I don't know if you were asking about this or not, but as far as the Style system goes... just watch this video.

That's inexcusable. You know what I would have gotten out of that in DMC3 and DMC4? A D rank. A bare minimum D rank. The Style system in DmC rewards lazy gameplay instead of punishing it, which in turn somewhat discourages chaining together combos like you're supposed to. Getting SSS ranks in DMC3 and DMC4 was tough because you had to work hard to get them. A SSS rank meant you had an understanding of the mechanics and were a master at mixing up your combos. Only experienced players could get them? Now? They're handed out like candy.

then why is Metal Gear Rising: Revangence in your list and how is that any better?

Metal Gear Rising is infinitely better than DmC. Comparing the two is like comparing the the N64 Zeldas to the GameCube Zeldas. Aaaaaand reasoning is below. (Kind of.)

1. Combatwise its less complex and more repetetive compared to DMC. There is no chaining involved, mostly its either parry or blade mode/zandatsu.

This is a complaint that really irritates me. Rising wasn't going for a chaining combat scheme like the DMC series. Its variety came through the enemies and the different approaches needed to defeat them. The game constantly adds new enemies into the mix and swiftly alternates among the ones that have been seen. The point is to maneuver strategically to gain the advantage, since enemies are constantly on the offensive, and perform a chain of zandatus at the appropriate time, which is incredibly satisfying to do. There's also the option to do things stealthily, which can be quite challenging, albeit the mechanics are very light... but that was the point. It was essentially the polar opposite of Metal Gear Solid where stealth was encouraged and combat was a secondary option. This time combat was encouraged and stealth was a secondary option.

I know that Rising doesn't have as deep of a combo system as DmC, but DmC was following in the footsteps of the previous games where the combat was designed in such a way for you to constantly mix up your combos in order to get more Style points. But the enemy variety was very low. That's perfectly fine due to the insane amount of combos you can perform, but it's the exact opposite situation for Rising. The combo depth is low, but the enemy variety is high. Rising also doesn't have annoying issues like frame rate drops (outside of lengthy sequences of chopping something apart), has a lock-on system, and provides us the Ripper Mode, which provides a sense of badassery, unlike DmC's Devil Trigger mode where everything is flung up into the air, making them harder to hit and harder to chain combos together against all of them.

2. There are only 8 chapters, one of them is a intro/tutorial stage and the other one entirely a boss fight for some reason.

Okay? At least Rising has believable dialogue and likable characters. Besides, what's so bad about a relatively short hack-and-slash game? They're part of a genre that can easily be designed to be played in short bursts, just like handheld games. We're not talking about Zelda or The Elder Scrolls, here. Beyond that, Rising is about as long as the Solid games were, so I don't see why people are in a fuss about its length when they don't complain about it in the main series.

3. Even though there is a higher diffculties like in DMC, the game becomes quickly unbalanced due to overpowered weapons and infinite wigs (which is not considered as cheat since you still can unlock trophies/achievements)

Overpowered weapons? I was actually kind of shocked at how little damage the sub-weapons did compared to their Solid counterparts (which was actually a wise move, it'd be easy to spam them otherwise). The infinite wigs are also completely optional and are placed there for those who would otherwise struggle on higher difficulties, especially Very Hard and Revengeance. I know for a fact I would never have gotten through the Revengeance difficulty without the ability to have an unlimited Ripper Mode.

4. Weapons suck in this game, you basicly want to go back to your sword only because the heavy attack button is also your secondary weapon button. That awkward switch when Raiden suddenly teleports big weapons in its hands. Only the Pole Arm has a decent movepool, Sai and Pincer Blades has no variety at all.

That's one thing I can criticize the game for. I literally never use the weapons gained from bosses, aside from Sam's high frequency blade. They're shallow and felt like they were tacked on, although the Pole Arm is pretty useful at times (I still never use it, I prefer the base heavy attack). Still, that's one minor thing compared to how many consistent issues that hinder the gameplay experience in DmC? Like, 5? Yeah, it's not even a contest there.

So yeah, what you play and what you say are kinda contradicting IMO.

Now that I've gone in-depth with this, I think I can accurately say that assessment is not true.

By the way, just to save face, I'm not trying to belittle you, or anything. I'm just further explaining myself on the situation. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom