• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Toon Link Overused?

Maybe it's just me but I think Toon Link is used in too many games like TWW TMC ST PH and FSA (at least i think that's Toon Link) which is like, a third of the games I still like Toon Link but I'm kind of getting tired of him being in every other game. So what are your thoughts, do you think he's overused, do you think he's underused, would you like to see him in future games?

MC, FS, and FSA is not Toon Link. ST is considered Toon Link. Toon Link has been in TWW, PH, Tetra Trackers, and ST. I think there should be more. I mean, realistic Link has been in OoT, MM, TP, ZSS, and OoT3DS.

OK, i know that the link from TWW isn't in any of those games what i meant was the art stile of him like cartoony i guess i wasn't to clear on that.

Whether you like him or not, I think he's done for. There were two main series of Toon Link. He first appeared in Four Swords, and later in FSA and MC. The Four Swords 'Trilogy' featured Toon Link, but that mini-series is complete. The other series was the Wind Waker 'Trilogy' (WW, PH, ST). Wouldn't they just put Toon Link in the next game after Spirit Tracks, you ask? I think not, because it seems the WW trilogy was created so that future Zelda games would not solely have be dependant on Ganon or the Triforce. It was a transition phase, of sorts, and they used Toon Link. Plus Zelda console games are likely to all be Adult Link in semi-realistic form, and Zelda handheld games are likely to be young Link. And when the new Nintendo handhelds are able to produce better than N64 graphics (on a smaller screen) as we see with OoT 3DS, why not use OoT 3DS young Link instead of PH/ST Link (you know you want to say it: he was ugly in those games).

Actually, Toon Link has his series, just as the other Link(s) have theirs. There is almost a balance between the somewhat "toon" games to the rest of the Zelda games.
Toon Link's Games: Wind Waker(1), Four Swords(2), Minish Cap(3), Four Swords Adventures(4), Phantom Hourglass(5), Spirit Tracks(6), Tetra/Navi's Trackers(7)
Regular Link's Games: The Legend of Zelda(1), Adventure of Link(2), A Link to the Past(3), Ocarina of Time(4), Majora's Mask(5), Link's Awakening(6), Oracle of Seasons(7), Oracle of Ages(8), Twilight Princess(9), and now Skyward Sword(10)
I thought negatively towards the toon-shaded games but now I actually love both their graphics and the gameplay. They seem not as "in" the series in some way, but I still enjoy them.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I think he's been used an appropriate number of times. However, I would like to see them move on to a new Link with a new art style. In the past 5 years, there have been only one or two new releases in which Toon Link wasn't used. It may be that he's becoming the new "hand held" Link, but all the other hand held games featured an art style that always evolved. I would like to see them move on and resume changing art styles on a regular basis, rather than save time by porting sprites.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I noticed this only recently when looking throught the Nintendo Power retrospective Zelda issue. The art style of Toon Link is used the most out of any style. Yes, the "regular" Link is used in the rest of the games, but no consistency is there between titles beyond 2 of them. Toon Link manages to cover 5 games as pointed out above (6 if you count FS separate from FSA).

I don't think it's a bad thing as such because it's a great style, but it makes me a bit disappointed that styles I loved such as that of the promo art of ALttP and TP got pushed aside too soon. Yes, SS is based on TP, but it isn't TP 100%. I do love SS's style, but I would have liked to had the time to "get bored" with TP's style before moving on. I would say now Toon Link's style has had it's moment, and should gracefully take a bow and exit stage right. 6 games is enough, so unless you're giving me more tales of specifically the WW / PH Link himself (not ST even) then let's move on to other things.

P

Proud_2B_Hylian

TP is handsdown the best. Of course they have to soften link up some and make him a cartoon for youger fans, but I love the dark setting of TP the most, It squeezes the most out of an adventure game when the graphics are realistic for the setting and time era of a game.... Not with puffy clouds, big Animal Crossing eyes and even bigger heads. SS was almost made cartoon too, but Nintendo Gave it thought that people may be getting tired of the toons and I think they were right. I havent played SS because I have no Wii, but by the looks of what I've seen, the colors make it look like a 21st century graphics OoT. How typical that every game made for the Wii has to look like its for ages 3 and up...

back to topic though, Yes. Lay the Cartoon to rest for a little while and introduce more realistic gameplay.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think that the Toon look should stay on the handhelds and the realistic look on the consoles. With the 3DS coming they have a chance to make Wind Waker quality Zelda games instead of what we got with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Although those games were toon styled, it looked crappy and less colorful then Wind Waker, and that's what I would like to see come back. But then again I would like to see a Toon styled game on the console once more and a realistic one on a handheld that isn't Ocarina of Time 3DS.

So yes I would like to see that style return, but i can't make my mind up on where.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I would love Nintendo to release Wind waker on 3ds i loved ww and think more Toon Link games would be a great idea. I think Link looked cute on Phantom hourglass and Spirit tracks.

linkman8

True and Noble
As far as Toon Link is concerned, he served his purpose a number of times, being on WW, PH, ST, etc. but I think it really is time to move on. It's not 2003 anymore, and it just doesn't have that same appeal as back then. Yeah, back then it was new, interesting, and brought a plethora of feelings to the game. But now it's 7 years later, and it's just gotten old, imo.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
As far as Toon Link is concerned, he served his purpose a number of times, being on WW, PH, ST, etc. but I think it really is time to move on. It's not 2003 anymore, and it just doesn't have that same appeal as back then. Yeah, back then it was new, interesting, and brought a plethora of feelings to the game. But now it's 7 years later, and it's just gotten old, imo.

Yeah it's old but needs to come back. We got the Cel-Shaded style in 2003, but that was it. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks didn't pull it off. This is why I want to see another console Zelda game toon styled. It worked so much on a console better then the DS because on the console you enjoyed nicer colors and graphics and a bigger world to see. On the DS it was much smaller and didn't have as much detail in the color then in Wind Waker and didn't look as good.

So I guess my point really is that we never really got to enjoy that style like we did back in 2003.:)

Man I would love to see a Zelda cartoon in that style. Hmmm...:hmm:

Toon Link is a staple to the Zelda Series like Ganon. Except, Ganon is overused, Toon Link only actually ever appeared in TWW; PH and ST used a terrible art style. Now with the OoT3DS out, we may actually see a return of the style. I think of PH style as MC Style, not TWW Style. Hopefully we will get a TWW Styled game on the Wii, that would be better depending on 3DS's 3D wow-factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom