• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tom Bombadill

I stumbled across a middle earth theory video about Tom Bombadill when it entered my feed. I watched it and saw a lot of connections to his character as an old master much like gramps in ALBW. Tolkien's writing about Tom refers to his understanding and mastery of the land. The land is of it's own, and Tom respects that. When he tells Frotto to put away his game and sit a while so that he can tell Frotto of the path he once trekked I was reminded of my grandfather. This was interesting because Tom exists as the eldest in middle earth, and considering that history repeats itself, Tom might have been a hero at one point much like gramps in ALBW.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that Tolkien himself said in some interview that Tom Bombadil is supposed to be a mystery. His entire purpose in the lore of that world is to be an enigma that neither the readers, nor the characters in the books (or Tolkien himself for that matter) are supposed to know who or what he is.
His purpose is simply to do exactly what he has made people do for decades: Trying to figure out who or what he is

I'm pretty sure that Tolkien himself said in some interview that Tom Bombadil is supposed to be a mystery. His entire purpose in the lore of that world is to be an enigma that neither the readers, nor the characters in the books (or Tolkien himself for that matter) are supposed to know who or what he is.
His purpose is simply to do exactly what he has made people do for decades: Trying to figure out who or what he is
Makes ne think of the pendant in dark souls too... Its referred to in dark souls 3 to be the hand maidens husband. :suspicious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom