• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

To Have Siblings or Not

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Modern day life had seen an influx in population and with slight anomalies, generally, the number of people in a set household are, somewhat, increasing. Now this will change from area to area, but I think a lot of people, if not most, have siblings.

So for those who have siblings, how would you rate their importance in your overall life? Do you like your life with siblings or would you prefer to by an "only child"? Of course it's not moral in some regards to banish your brother/sister from existence but say as if you had the choice.

For those who don't have siblings, basically it's the same question -- do you like not having a brother/sister? Or would you rather have siblings?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As much as I really can't stand my younger siblings, I wouldn't trade them for only child or whatever. Trust me. You can say and feel that you hate your siblings or whatever, but the experience you get with them is simply worth the world and then some. Even if it's short and disconnected :I

I don't think siblings are really a big deal. What i do like about it is being always compared to them. I don't always talk to my siblings. But they are nice. I don't really have a bond with any of them so it doesn't really matter. Overall i would say yes to siblings.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! :mellow:

I have 20 siblings... Yes to siblings, wouldn't trade em for anything even if they get annoying sometimes. :) I love em all, we all get along great and they are some of my best friends!

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have mixed feeling about my siblings. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't mind them, and sometimes I wish my parents stopped after one child. I don't think it really matters though. They usually leave me alone. I'm not saying nothing would change if I was an only child though, because a lot would change. Now that I'm thinking about it though, maybe my entire life would change if I was an only child, but maybe it wouldn't. I don't really know.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
In being so much younger than my siblings, I kinda got to experience both existences. My sisters moved away when I was still in primary school and I lived for several years as though I was an only child, and I have to say it was rather lonely not to have a sibling around my own age. As an adult I can thankfully benefit from having siblings, the age difference doesn't seem so huge anymore, but as a child it was pretty lonely. I tend to feel sorry for people who grow up as only children. You learn a lot of important things from having siblings. You learn to share, to be considerate of others, you learn that you cannot be the center of attention or have your way all the time, which is very important for functioning as adults later in life. And having siblings, you have someone to lean on. I may feel my sisters don't understand me all that much, and I may have my issues with them, but I know that they will always have my back if I need them to.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
My siblings were 14 and 17 years older than me. I spent most of my childhood feeling like an only child most of the time. I missed out on the good parts of having siblings, and always wished that I a sister my age. Caleb has 6 siblings, and now I feel like I know exactly what I missed out on, but am catching up :)

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
My siblings are my half siblings. I don't talk to them all that much, exept my one of my brothers, who practiccally lives like the living room is his.

Night Owl

~Momentai
It depends on the time of day, and whether they are being nuisances.

I love my younger brothers, but there are times I want to send them out the airlock.
(I would never do it because of too many fond memories and good times spent)

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I'm lucky enough to actually have a pretty good relationship with my older brother, so I'm definitely glad that he is in my life. I wouldn't want to be an only child. My brother has always been there for me, and I have always been there for him. He has helped me get through a lot of crap, and without a doubt is important in my life.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
For those who don't have siblings, basically it's the same question -- do you like not having a brother/sister? Or would you rather have siblings?

Being an only child, sometimes I like the fact that I have no siblings, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes receiving all of the attention is a great feeling, and other times it's insanely stressful. One wrong move and you disappoint everyone, but make the right move and you receive lavish praise. Having no siblings can be a real advantage, especially if you're in a tough financial situation; however, those who have siblings never realize how lonely it gets. Your parents suffocate and over-protect you all the time when you're an only child, and you really have no freedom. That's why I sometimes envy those with siblings, because I feel that their parents tend to be more lax with rules and whatnot (not true with everyone, but rather that's what I've perceived from it).

To those who have siblings and hate their guts, just give it a few years and you'll realize what a luxury you have. Those like myself have to heavily depend on pets and friends for company, or specifically in my case, the Internet. Friends come and go, and pets only last so long. But brothers and sisters, they last for much, much longer.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, if I could choose I would choose siblings again. I have 4 siblings and as much as I can sometimes wish I could send them to Skaro (Planet of the Daleks) I wouldn't like to miss them for anything in the world. So I say yes to siblings :D

Although we don't always get along, I know I can turn to my brothers for advice from someone in a similar age group if no one else is available. Since my parents were always working when we were younger, I'm very close to my brothers.

While being an only child has its perks, I wouldn't trade the peace of mind and enjoyment from having someone around frequently I can relate to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom