• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

To Evolve Or Not?

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
Do you often evolve every single Pokemon or are there some in the past that you have kept without evolving them?
Of course there are bonuses to evolution, but perhaps you have a personal reason for stopping it?

When I was younger I often focused on the looks of my Pokemon a lot and didn't actually like their attractiveness as some of them evolved; as a child, that kind of thing was important to me. Now I'm an adult I tend to look at their stats and the moves available - which takes precedence. There is a certain amount of thought and consideration that can go into the process though - whether you've grown attached to a specific one or not.

There are certain moves that a pre-evolution Pokemon can learn that the full-evolution Pokemon can't (e.g. Mudkip can learn hydro pump but Swampert can't) I evolve pokemon when I get the specific move I want said pokemon to learn. If there isn't any particular move, I just go ahead and evolve them.

Last edited:

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
If I like the pokemon enough I don't evolve it. where as I used to always evolve my pokemon. Now I dont evolve my Pikachu into Raichu when it learns Thunder any more. Same for my Tepig because I cant stand its evolutions so I keep it in its basic form also Dewotts much cooler then its final evolution.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Whether I evolve one or not, for me, always depends on how I want to raise it. And it's usually based on the final moveset I want it to have. I usually plan for the quickest route to that moveset with the least amount of leveling, tutoring, and move relearning as possible. And that usually involves not letting them evolve. But I have to let them evolve in cases where they don't have the same moveset and they need to evolve to get a certain move without going to the move relearner. Whether or not it's worth not using the move relearner for a certain move or not depends on what other moves I have left to learn and if they'll take longer in that case. But if it's the last move gained by leveling, then it doesn't matter. I typically plan out how I raise each one.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Whether I evolve one or not, for me, always depends on how I want to raise it. And it's usually based on the final moveset I want it to have. I usually plan for the quickest route to that moveset with the least amount of leveling, tutoring, and move relearning as possible. And that usually involves not letting them evolve. But I have to let them evolve in cases where they don't have the same moveset and they need to evolve to get a certain move without going to the move relearner. Whether or not it's worth not using the move relearner for a certain move or not depends on what other moves I have left to learn and if they'll take longer in that case. But if it's the last move gained by leveling, then it doesn't matter. I typically plan out how I raise each one.

I do the same. I try to get my pokemon to learn the best moves I think they should have, and then I evolve them. I love their basic forms because those are some of the very first pokemon i grew up with, but I've always love brute strength :P

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Well, when a pokemon evolves it not only changes form, but it also is able to learn new moves, etc. And I think they get better stats when they level up as well once they've evolved, I think, I'm not certain, that's what I've seen from my own experience anyway. So yes, I would definitely go with evolving pokemon over not evolving them.

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
Take Gloom to Vileplume for an example. Vileplume learns no moves besides petal Dance at lvl 44 after you evolve the Gloom. So I keep my Gloom as a Gloom untill level 43 I then would use a stone to evolve it. It is basic things like that that can make a difference in a Pokemon.

Kazumi

chagy
Generally I'll want to evolve my Pokemon as soon as I get the chance, but it really depends on the Pokemon. Some Pokemon learn moves at a much later level after they would have evolved, and often times these moves are unobtainable by the evolved form any other way. So yeah, it really depends on the Pokemon and what plans I have for it.

TheMightyThor

The Thunder God
I usually wait for pokemon to learn a specific move in its base stage before evolving a pokemon to it's next stages. Base Pokemon will learn moves much earlier levels than the next evolution stages.

Lukémon

Shows over folks!
I always evolve my pokémon as soon as possible, no matter what , I've always just tried to fill my pokédex, quickly and catch them all, that's what the games about to me. As for the moves I just find TM's of stronger moves.

Zen

Guardian of Courage
Like Lukemon said, I try to evolve all pokemon in order to fill my pokedex. If I want a pokemon to stay at a certain stage. I'll catch another one.

Lukémon

Shows over folks!
I don't usually catch annother one just for the moves, I just use the one I have evolved fully and improve that little by little. It works ( although the next time I get a pichu, I will teach it volt tackle before evolving it. ( for some reason pichu and raichu can learn volt tackle but not pikachu. )

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I love evolving my Pokemon! For one, it's a better and easier way to fill the Pokedex, and secondly it's a more fulfilling reward than just catching them in the wild for their data and never having the experience of training them up. That's what really makes the game fun, IMO. Aside from the story and the league, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom