• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tiny Hyrule

Djinn

and Tonic
One thing I think Zelda Two actually did well was increasing the size of Hyrule and adding several villages. Instead of the one Hylian village to compliment Castle Town and then the random populated regions of the Gorons, Zora, etc. Twilight Princess did do an excellent job of increasing the size of Hyrule and filling it with many things to discover and explore. But overall with Castle Town, a depopulated Kakariko, and a mostly autonomous Faron village, Hyrule still seems like a very small country. I want to see the huge Hyrule of Zelda Two again with many different villages. Some looking totally different, maybe a return of the cursed village, and the helpful elders that pass on advise or magic to Link.

Right now Hyrule appears to be a very small Hylian country surrounded by even smaller Zora, Gerudo, and Goron lands that are mostly village sized themselves. While in Ocarina of Time seem to be under the rule of or at least protectorate of the Hylian King. I assumed the inclusion of the Goron, Gerudo, and Zora villages were the reason we did not see many other Hylian dwellings on the map. With the Size of Hyrule in that game things would have gotten way too cluttered.

Sure, it can be big, but there has to be stuff to do in it. WW was terrible at this. Most of the islands were just thrown in there for a heart piece, and then you never went to it again.

Absolutely true. The majority of the random islands in Wind Waker are wasted space and potential. Most of them only exist for a heart piece, or some noticeable land around while you fish for triforce pieces, or to drop a goddess pearl. And then there is no reason to ever return. Wind Waker had a gigantic map that could have included so much more but was largely either ignored or forgotten. A lot of places I think some islands were only placed on the map just to have something on that map square.

The reason it was small in OOT was because it was a very old game...TP brought the huge map but with such few people in places other than castle town (one guy in faron province) it felt like a metroid prime game. Please Nintendo let SS be big and have people everywhere (like MC).

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I think in SwS there should be a hugely expansive overworld, with 6 dungeons, plus Skyloft. Skyloft should function more as the past did in OoT rather than be the full overworld itself (meaning 3 dungeons). That's what I think, anyway.

personally, i would LOVE a bigger Hyrule. it'd be great to see a lot of cool new locations to explore. a lot of people say that TP had a big overworld, but not much to do; personally, i don't mind this at all. for me, Hyrule doesn't need a ton of sidequests, it just needs to be fun to explore. there's nothing worse to me than a boring looking Hyrule (i'm looking at you WW) and i DEFINITELY don't want a small land with hardly any cool places and goes overkill on sidequests (i'm looking at you MM.) no matter what, i want Hyrule to be HUGE in this game.

Well, as much as I love big, vast, beautiful environments, you have to remember that you're going to have to walk across it. A lot of peoples' least favorite think about The Wind Waker is the amount of time sailing takes, especially on some of the longer voyages you might take, such as Windfall Island to Outset Island, or Headstone Island to Gale Isle. (If you can't remember where these are on the map, they are more than a few squares away from each other.) The nice thing about traveling in the Wind Waker is that unlike traversing Hyrule Field, you don't have to keep your finger pressed forward to keep moving. Often in the Wind Waker, I would point the KoRL in the way I wanted to go, make the wind cooperate, set sail, and relax until I reached my destination. Sometimes I'd just sit back, eat some chips or drink iced tea, and occasionally look around with C. Even in Ocarina of Time, walking from, say, Zora's Domain to Gerudo Valley, could be a bit tedious.

but then think, what theorists would be completely screwed lol
but a large hyrule would be great, i dont think SS would work but in the next game hyrule should be the size on Germany or even better canada!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I think it has always been small due to technology restraints and game design restraints. In the systems Nintendo has been working with there is only so much storage space on the disc/cartridge and they can only put so many sprites or models on the screen at once before the system starts to lag. Further, if they make Hyrule too big, then the game will be come overwhelming. It would be hard to design a full civilization and it would be hard to experience it. Many people would be up for it, but not your average player...

...all that said, I personally, am ALL FOR a much bigger, richer, and realistic (in a fantasy world sort of way) Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom