• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeshift Stone Paradox

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Now, I know that this is only a gameplay element, but when I thought about it, it didn't really make sense. If the Timeshift Stones restore an area to the past, along with the creatures in it, why isn't Link transformed? Any present thing (besides Link) that enters the Timeshift Stones' reach, such as walls, monsters, and remains of monsters, is transformed, while Link, also a part of the present, isn't. I know that it was just a gameplay element, but I'm just wondering....

Any ideas?

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
Maybe the activating being is not affected, but probably because link wasn't around in that time, and he IS the hero after all. Magical powers that keep him resistant to it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well it is not that difficult. Those creatures, objects living beings etc were attached by the desert and when Link activates the timestones they get restored. But Link however is not a part of their past in other words he never lived their so he never was attached by the desert. So Link stayed the way he was. At least that is what I can make of it

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
There is no past Link.

Also it is him who activates the Timeshift, maybe that would affect a little. I am afraid to say this is just like in Ocarina of Time, if you dwell to deep in it you end up with a time-shift paradigm continium that is a pain to solve afterwards :)

There is no paradox...

You've pretty much established the fact that only little pocket dimensions of space are affected by the time shift [stones]; not the entire world, correct? Well, that being said, try to imagine that Link sort of inserts himself into that space (the area affected by the Time Stones) in that particular era of time (the past). In other words, he is essentially traveling back to an era of time where events of said era are occurring in real time, thus he is "inserting" himself into those events. Hence, why he does not change. It's not really that hard to comprehend once it is put into perspective.

Also, there's another thread that covers a lot of bases surrounding the Time Shift Stones. There were some pretty decent theories in said thread.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
So what I've got from this is that since Link didn't exist in the Timeshift Zone's past, nothing happens to him? I've always wondered about this too. This doesn't make sense to me because the Thunder Keese and some certain other enemies will completely vanish if they come into the Timeshift bubble. So since the Keese, like Link, didn't exist back then, how come they disappear while Link stays intact?

So what I've got from this is that since Link didn't exist in the Timeshift Zone's past, nothing happens to him? I've always wondered about this too. This doesn't make sense to me because the Thunder Keese and some certain other enemies will completely vanish if they come into the Timeshift bubble. So since the Keese, like Link, didn't exist back then, how come they disappear while Link stays intact?

Read...

There is no paradox...

You've pretty much established the fact that only little pocket dimensions of space are affected by the time shift [stones]; not the entire world, correct? Well, that being said, try to imagine that Link sort of inserts himself into that space (the area affected by the Time Stones) in that particular era of time (the past). In other words, he is essentially traveling back to an era of time where events of said era are occurring in real time, thus he is "inserting" himself into those events. Hence, why he does not change. It's not really that hard to comprehend once it is put into perspective.

Also, there's another thread that covers a lot of bases surrounding the Time Shift Stones. There were some pretty decent theories in said thread.

In addition: The Keese and other miscellaneous things should be exempt from scrutiny, as they are just minor gameplay elements; they're just...there. But if I must... Just keep in mind that Keese and other various enemies aren't "inserted" into the events of the past along with Link. This might also suggest that only the person who strikes the Time Stones is "inserted" into the past, while the world within the pocket of space changes around him. Just focus on the large scale of things.

There is no paradox...

^ this. Link is completely foreign to that space, and because it is the space that reverts back into time, Link is exempt from it because he has no past form in that area; he was never from that area.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I always thought it was because link activated the stone in the first place
Yeah, but the thing is: He doedn't always activate them directly. Sometimes, he strikes them with his sword, sometimes with an arrow, sometimes the beetle drops a bomb on them. In those cases, shouldn't the beetle or even just the bomb be the only thing that gets transported back? It's not like a stone can guess the intentions of whatever it is that hits it.

My guess is that Link just happens to be protected by the Goddess, through Fi.

C

chaoswanderer

It Looks like we will be getting a 4th split to the timeline.

I'm assuming because he activated the timeshift stone, and simply because he isn't a part of that time area, he's from a different land, and different time zone, so he wouldnt have a place to go back to when the timeshift stone was activated.

L

Lordofninjas1

usually in fantasy and fiction stories the person who activates a time travel thing is not affected by it in any way shape or form other than being sent back in time. also if you notice the Timeshift Stones have what look to be the Sheikah symbol drawn on them therefore they have been enchanted with magic and considering at the time Link has Fi and the Goddess Sword which has Magical properties which probably protects him from being affected by the timeshift and keeping him the same age and everything as he was. so basically its magic and the sword and Fi counteract it to prevent Link from being affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom