• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Timeline placement?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
If B is after A, and C is before A, and D is after C, and E is before C, then you have a sequence of:

E>C>D>A>B

I totally get where you're coming from and the Big N telling us specifically that A is a sequel to D is solid proof and absolute Zelda fact. Until they change it. You're right, right now, but we've got to temper our hubris because today, Nintendo might say E>C>D>A>B but tomorrow they could easily say D=B#AB;/3 as they're want to do. You can be correct in a very few things notes but try not to get used to even those few specifics. Beware the ides of March!

I totally get where you're coming from and the Big N telling us specifically that A is a sequel to D is solid proof and absolute Zelda fact. Until they change it. You're right, right now, but we've got to temper our hubris because today, Nintendo might say E>C>D>A>B but tomorrow they could easily say D=B#AB;/3 as they're want to do. You can be correct in a very few things notes but try not to get used to even those few specifics. Beware the ides of March!

I can't think of a time they've change a placement though, aside from maybe OoX in HE, but that was written by Nintendo Dream, and they outright said they took liberties with the lore, so HE appears to be dubious canon. They even kept OoT as a prequel to ALttP, even adding a third branch to explain the inconsistencies.

Also, I've been thinking:

Impa and the Sheikah don't appear in the AT past OoT, and Impaz is implied to be the last of her kind in TP. Yet, in the DT, Impa keeps appearing(OoX, ALBW, the NES games, etc.). an incarnation of her appears in BotW...

Serious question here ... but how does being on one timeline vs. another dictate what form Ganon should be regenerating as? Why can't he regen into whatever the devs want him to be? How would a timeline dictate what he's allowed or not allowed to regenerate into?

Just being honest here, but it sounds like your "point" is based simply on what you think should happen ... and doesn't consider that the form that Ganon may or may not take on, or resemble, etc. is entirely devoid of connection to a timeline.

Throughout the history of Hyrule, Ganon mostly gets resurrected when slain by Link. Resurrected as in bring brought back to life as opposed to being reborn into something new. If Ganon was being reincarnated everytime he was defeated, he would be able to take any form he wanted without disorting the timeline with his different appearences. However because Ganon is being resurrected throughout the timeline, his original body is being brought back to life and is not being reborn into a new being. This is the case for the DT as it's the same Ganon that returns after every subsequent title he appears in. He resurrects in OoX, ALBW and before LoZ. There has only ever been one case where Ganon reincarnates, and that's in Four Swords Adventures on the CT.

In Calamity Ganon's case, for a DT placement to work, Calamity Ganon would have to be a new reincarnation of Ganon from the DT, however it's hintied in BotW that Calamity Ganon is a Ganon we've seen before as Urbosa mentions how Calamity Ganon once took the form of a Gerudo. Given how Ganondorf no longer exists in the DT and Calamity Ganon is not a reincarnation of Ganon from that timeline, A DT placement is looking less likely.

But even if this is the CT, it still can't be TP Ganon's human form, as TP Ganondorf was reincarnated as a new Ganon in FSA, and that one shows no signs of returning to his human form anytime soon.

And you can't argue that BotW is inbetween TP and FSA, because recent creator comments have said it's at the end of one of the branches.

For the record, i'm not trying to argue that BotW takes place on the CT. I actually stated in an earlier post that I don't believe BotW fits anywhere in any of the 3 timelines. BotW is like Hyrule Warriors where if you put it down one timeline, it would create a huge contradiction for another timeline. The only difference is that Hyrule Warriors is non-canon whereas BotW Is, so BotW has to fit somewhere on the timeline.

I strongly believe that BotW cannot be down any of the 3 branches after OoT for many reasons: No mention of the Great Flood, Calamity Ganon's resemblemse to Ganondorf, The Zora Monmument talking about the AT events of Ocarina of Time etc. Anything timeline related that is in this game seems to contradict another timeline which makes even a likely placement unlikely.

In Calamity Ganon's case, for a DT placement to work, Calamity Ganon would have to be a new reincarnation of Ganon from the DT, however it's hintied in BotW that Calamity Ganon is a Ganon we've seen before as Urbosa mentions how Calamity Ganon once took the form of a Gerudo. Given how Ganondorf no longer exists in the DT and Calamity Ganon is not a reincarnation of Ganon from that timeline, A DT placement is looking less likely.

What do you mean by that?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
From someone who was a firm believer in that Ganon and Demise were not linked, this is my view of the whole 'reincarnation' thing in light of Breath of the Wild.

We can speculate on who or what Demise is, but so far he's the starting point. He's the figurehead of evil who we're led to believe is reincarnated in the form of Ganon. However, I don't think it's as simple as Demise set a curse on Link and Zelda and that's law. Demise was essentially speaking prophetically. Remember how Demise exists outside of time? He would know the events of the future and how is hatred would still linger in the world.

The question is why does this reincarnation occur? I think it's the Triforce. Demise's hatred through Ganondorf intertwined the fates of the three to forever be linked. The Triforce was never meant to be broken, it was meant to represent the balance of the world. This balance was, however, broken due to Ganon obtaining the Triforce of Power. In order to be restored, Link and Zelda were gifted the other pieces whether it being physically, spiritually or metaphorically.

The reason why Ganon keeps on returning is due to his fate being linked to the Triforce. Part of his soul lingers on in some fashion, which prevents him from being outright killed. We see proof of this in Twilight Princess, where he survives death due to the 'divine prank'. We also see it with Link in the same game where he's allowed to physically exist in the Twilight Realm due to the Triforce of Courage. Even in the case of Link physically leaving the Adult Timeline in Ocarina of Time, the hero of the spirit still exists - as shown in Wind Waker.

It doesn't matter how many times Ganon dies, in some way he lingers on through his initial connection to the Triforce. The only way I see the curse breaking is through actually destroying the Triforce itself. Funnily enough this is the backstory of Lorule. There we see no sign of Ganon and the counterparts of Link and Zelda are largely powerless. This could possibly mean that Lorule destroyed the Triforce to ultimately stop Ganon; however that only lead to the Kingdom declining. It's kind of twisted that Hyrule will forever be locked in perpetual war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom