• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Timeline placement?

Hi, My name is Mitchel and I'm new here.
I was wondering if you guys already figured out where BotW fits in the timeline. Let me know :D

We dont know.

There are a lot of factors.

Popular opinion is that its on the child timeline, over 10,100 years after Four Swords Adventures, depending on the time after FSA when Calamity Ganon struck the first time. Which would make it the last game on that timeline.

This is mostly due to Zelda's speech in the first memory when she mentions the events of Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

However, in the german dub the speech continues in the background and further mentions events of A Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

So it is potentially on all three timelines or part of a convergence.

Whatever the case it is the furthest in the future of any other Zelda game regardless of which branch its on.

I've been thinking alot about this since I finished the game, and from what I've seen in the game, I believe this game is not down any of the currently known timelines. There are plenty of references to each of the timelines which contradict each other. Naturally this would make a timeline placement difficult, but to be honest if you think outside the box, an answer may be more clearer than you think.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail, but with the Zora Monuments mentioning Ruto and there being no mention of a great flood, it could be possible that BotW takes place on a 4th timeline where Link stays in the adult timeline after OoT and he or a decendent defeats ganon during the back story of Wind Waker, thus preventing the great flood from happening and in turn BotW happens. This would clear the contradictions to the Zora Monuments at least, but there are other factors to take into consideration.

Of coure this is just speculation and there is more to this theory, but for the purpose of this thread I'm gonna say there's no straight forward answer to this puzzle at the moment and won't become clear anytime soon until Nintendo or Eiji Aonuma comes out and says something.

Thanks for your opinion you guys.
I really want to know the placement haha. I hope Nintendo will say something about it soon.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
The only confirmation is that it takes place after Ocarina of Time on a line where Ganon has appeared many time, which alludes to the downfall timeline and maybe the child timeline. It's HIGHLY unlikely it is on the adult timeline

Well I collected all the Zelda main games and I want to put them in my showcase in order of timeline placement. So I need to know where to put BotW lol.
It's on the same display as the Child timeline games now but I'm not sure if that's the right one.

Well I collected all the Zelda main games and I want to put them in my showcase in order of timeline placement. So I need to know where to put BotW lol.
It's on the same display as the Child timeline games now but I'm not sure if that's the right one.

Haha well personally I would just put it last in line since we definitely won't get confirmation for a while. I think it's in the downfall mostly because it makes sense with the progression of Ganon in that timeline.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail, but with the Zora Monuments mentioning Ruto and there being no mention of a great flood, it could be possible that BotW takes place on a 4th timeline where Link stays in the adult timeline after OoT and he or a decendent defeats ganon during the back story of Wind Waker, thus preventing the great flood from happening and in turn BotW happens. This would clear the contradictions to the Zora Monuments at least, but there are other factors to take into consideration.
I've been thinking on a similar line to this since last summer, but I don't think whether or not Link went back in time is what caused the fourth timeline... the lore seems to imply that there would have been a Link during the events that led to the Great Flood either way, and the WW backstory doesn't say that there was no hero at that time, only that the hero didn't appear... this suggests that there was some other factor determining whether or not Link was present at the time.
We know so little about this period of time that Nintendo could potentially use it as the setting for an entire game at some point, in order to fill in the gap in the timeline, similar to what they did with OoT and SS.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
While I'm sure that everybody has seen this, I can't seem to find it anywhere in the forums so I figured this is about the best place to post this.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicboo...06/01/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-timeline-hint/

Just saying, this confirms where I think most people placed it before the game was even released. I feel like they at least pulled a KOTOR by placing the game so far out, they had supreme creative license. They may have even pulled a Dragon Break which I've always thought likely. In the same way as Zelda had always made games up until they slapped together a quick timeline, I figure BotW is a related but non sequitur LEGEND of Zelda. Just like any legend, the specifics change but the concepts and broad strokes remain the same. Not to say it's a retelling necessarily but I feel like the exact details aren't as important as the sweeping flow of the tale.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Probably the child timeline...maybe the adult timeline, but I can't see it being on the downfall timeline. That's the only one that doesn't make sense.

Then again, maybe this just proves Hyrule Hystoria was wrong and there is only one timeline.

Probably the child timeline...maybe the adult timeline, but I can't see it being on the downfall timeline. That's the only one that doesn't make sense.

Then again, maybe this just proves Hyrule Hystoria was wrong and there is only one timeline.

How does downfall not make sense?

Also it's confirmed not to be in the timeline with wind waker.

Downfall doesn't make sense because of the Zora monuments describing events that only occurred in the adult and possibly child timelines.
And just because it doesn't take place in the Wind Waker timeline does not necessarily mean that it doesn't take place in an adult timeline... a number of us suspect a potential alternate adult timeline that splits off before the Great Flood.

Downfall doesn't make sense because of the Zora monuments describing events that only occurred in the adult and possibly child timelines.
And just because it doesn't take place in the Wind Waker timeline does not necessarily mean that it doesn't take place in an adult timeline... a number of us suspect a potential alternate adult timeline that splits off before the Great Flood.

I think it makes sense. All that would need to have happened is link lose to Ganondorf at the end. I assume we're talking about Ruto being mentioned.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Oh it was confirmed not to take place in the Wind Waker timeline? I figured the Divine Beast being named after Medli was evidence that it could be...

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger

Source? If we believe that it isn't in the Hero of Winds timeline even with the presence of rock salt from an ancient sea (recently confirmed that this is by far the latest game in the timeline), rito, and koroks, we have to admit that there is also substantial evidence for each of the timelines even if we don't agree on which one it is. Again, legend timeline outlook here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom