• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Flaws

Haxon15

FML
Well after learning about SS, I cant decide if it would either take place before OoT and MC or between MC and OoT. Im just stumped, so what do you think?

Also, I still dont understand the whole split timeline thing at the end of OoT. If Link went back in time to "Timeline A" and got Ganon banished and never did what he did as an adult in "Timeline B", wouldnt Timeline B cease to exist since the events leading up to it now never happened? I dont get how there could be 2 different timelines happening simultaneously, and how the things that happen in Timeline A like Ganon being banished doesnt affect Timeline B if Timeline B is in the future of Timeline A! *takes deep breath*

I just cant see how the whole split timeline theory is possible... it just doesnt make sense.
God this is confusing! :S

Kungfuyu24

Metanna! Nurunna!
Well...time theory is itself confusing. If a choice is made in real life, a scenario where a different choice was made may be possible in a different reality (or timeline).

Timeline A was the OoT young Link going back in time and warning everyone about Ganondorf, the events of Majora's Mask, and then Twilight Princess.

Timeline B was the OoT adult Link and the Sages banishing Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm, the events of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Well after learning about SS, I cant decide if it would either take place before OoT and MC or between MC and OoT. Im just stumped, so what do you think?

I think that it will go between MC and OoT with MC first, of course. MC has no reference to the Master Sword in any way thus leading me to believe it doesn't exist yet and we know that SS will be the creation of the Master Sword thus leading me to put it after MC.

Also, I still dont understand the whole split timeline thing at the end of OoT. If Link went back in time to "Timeline A" and got Ganon banished and never did what he did as an adult in "Timeline B", wouldnt Timeline B cease to exist since the events leading up to it now never happened?

I understand how you are confused by this but put it this way, the timeline wouldn't cease to exist. When Link goes back in time he would technically keep on making a great deal of timelines. A new timeline would be created every time he goes back in time. They would continue to exist regardless of Link going back in time. In Back to the Future, Marty went back to his time but everything had changed. Doc explained that his timeline still exists but the time he is in is a tangent universe where things are different. It's pretty much the same thing in OoT except I believe that the Ocarina of Time has the power to keep these infinite timelines from being created.

I dont get how there could be 2 different timelines happening simultaneously, and how the things that happen in Timeline A like Ganon being banished doesnt affect Timeline B if Timeline B is in the future of Timeline A! *takes deep breath*

Actually timeline A and B take place roughly at the same time. TP and WW are on opposite sides of the timeline but they happen pretty much at the exact same time. They both take place a few hundred years after OoT. Timeline b is not the future of timeline a, it is a different dimension of the same world.

I hope I was able to shed some light on this for you.

C

Callum1064

I think that it will go between MC and OoT with MC first, of course. MC has no reference to the Master Sword in any way thus leading me to believe it doesn't exist yet and we know that SS will be the creation of the Master Sword thus leading me to put it after MC.
I believe Zemen has a very good point, there is no reference to the Master Sword in The Minish Cap. So I'm believing what he said.

People often confuse Hyrule A and Hyrule B for seperate realities, although they are different worlds. When Link went and picked up the master sword, Ganon went ot the sacred realm and took the triforce of power which changed the Sacred Realm to whatever he wanted, (that world became the future in OoT, it also was what will become the world in TWW). But, at the same time as the events of the future in OoT, the actual realm also goes on by itself. So, when the Sacred Realm reaches TWW, the real realm gos to TP. When everyone in TWW (Old Hyrule) moves to ST (New Hyrule) the Sacred Realm's Old Hyrule becomes empty. At that time, ALttP happens were Ganon is freed from the real realm and goes to the Sacred Realm which is were TWW happens. Hope that sort of helps.

I beleive that ZSS happens before MC because for one, in MC the wind tribe were once a tribe that lived in the sky without knowing what happened below. They went down, but forgot how to live in the sky. By the time Link in MC goes to the Wind Temple, he discovers that they learned how to live in the sky again. In Skyloft, the people lived in the sky without knowing what happened below. They go down and start the perhaps new kingdom of Hyrule. Also, at the beggining of MC, the prolouge states a legend of the "Hero of Men" who came to the world and scealed all of the evil in a chest. Locking it with the Picori Blade, he brought peace to the world. (Until Vatti opened it because he thought the light force was in there.) (After that, in every game in the rest of the series, the evil monsters was let out because of Vatti. Boo Vatti!) The people of Zelda confirmed that the Skyward Sword will one day become the master sword. But what if it became the Picori blade, which became the White sword, which became the Four sword, which became the Master sword? (Ignoring that both swords exist in ALttP GBA.) That is my thoery.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I could use that same argument to say that MC can't go before OoT. I think there are much stronger reasons to place SS before MC, including those explained by Ember. However, those assume that Skyloft is the City in the Sky and/or the Palace of Winds or that SS Link is the Hero of Men (the latter of which I am not willing to make), so there really isn't strong enough evidence for a definitive placement either way yet. But until Nintendo denies either of those assumtions (directly or indirectly), I tentatively place SS before MC.

I understand how you are confused by this but put it this way, the timeline wouldn't cease to exist. When Link goes back in time he would technically keep on making a great deal of timelines. A new timeline would be created every time he goes back in time. They would continue to exist regardless of Link going back in time. In Back to the Future, Marty went back to his time but everything had changed. Doc explained that his timeline still exists but the time he is in is a tangent universe where things are different. It's pretty much the same thing in OoT except I believe that the Ocarina of Time has the power to keep these infinite timelines from being created.
This is a good explanation[strike], though the Ocarina of Time/Song of Time is a bit strange. In OoT, it sends Link back in time and allows him to alter events and create a tangent timeline while keeping the old one intact, but in MM it rewinds time and lets Link experience the three days differently, probably overwriting the original line. I think the MS played a similar role to MM's Ocarina in OoT.[/strike]
EDIT: ...forgot that Zelda played her lullaby, and that the MS takes Link back to the point when he takes the sword, only overwriting the portion he spent 'asleep,' not other things that he had done.

Actually timeline A and B take place roughly at the same time. TP and WW are on opposite sides of the timeline but they happen pretty much at the exact same time. They both take place a few hundred years after OoT. Timeline b is not the future of timeline a, it is a different dimension of the same world.
I think he meant just the portions in OoT. And B is affected by A when travelling via MS. The Ocarina of Time then creates the other dimension at the end and the timelines run parallel and separate, as Zemen stated.

People often confuse Hyrule A and Hyrule B for seperate realities, although they are different worlds. When Link went and picked up the master sword, Ganon went ot the sacred realm and took the triforce of power which changed the Sacred Realm to whatever he wanted, (that world became the future in OoT, it also was what will become the world in TWW). But, at the same time as the events of the future in OoT, the actual realm also goes on by itself. So, when the Sacred Realm reaches TWW, the real realm gos to TP. When everyone in TWW (Old Hyrule) moves to ST (New Hyrule) the Sacred Realm's Old Hyrule becomes empty. At that time, ALttP happens were Ganon is freed from the real realm and goes to the Sacred Realm which is were TWW happens. Hope that sort of helps.
This sounds like a linear timeline theory to me o.o
I'm absolutely positive that there's proof in both OoT and WW that neither game takes place in the SR, but I don't feel like looking it up right now. I'm also certain that there's abolutely no proof that they do. Don't treat fanfic as fact.

(Ignoring that both swords exist in ALttP GBA.) That is my thoery.
That fact seems a little too important to ignore to me... Of course it's easy to make up stories to make it work, but that's not good enough.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
@Ember: That's a good theory about the sky tribe, but the problem with that is that the Hero of Men was never stated to come from the sky, he never had a hat and he used the Picori Blade and we've already been told and it's already been established that Link in SS uses the Skyward Sword which WILL become the Master Sword. The hat thing may seem minuscule but I believe there is enough evidence in MC for the hat to be significant.

Your theory suggests that Link is the Hero of Men in SS and that he came from the sky to save Hyrule, but the Hero of Men in MC was never stated to come from the sky or be a member of any past sky tribe.

Your theory would also call for Link to be hatless whereas from what we know, the Hero of Men was hatless for his entire aventure and we can se from game pictures that in SS Link will surely have a hat. Not to mention that the Hero of Men was depicted with longer hair and Link's hair doesn't look the sort.

Your theory also calls for The Skyward Sword to be the Picori Blade/Four Sword which you believe would later become the Master Sword which is impossible because the Master Sword and Four Sword both exist at the same time in GBAALTTP not to mention that the creators have already told us the order of how the sword works in this game so it's already pretty clear that this is not going to be a story of the Picori Blade.

Lastly, your theory calls for one major thing that doesn't seem to even be hinted at, the presence of the Picori. We don't have any developers telling us or any hints from in game knowledge that the Picori will make any appearance.

So, while the Sky tribe theory you proposed is a good theory, the backup evidece needed for it to be a super solid theory are all things that seem to be no where in SS from what we know so far.

Pinecove

Last Chance
The first thing to do, is realize that TMC being first, is - in itself- a theory.
We cannot debunk a theory with evidence we do not have. Only evidence we do have (not theories) will debunk other theories.

SS has not come out yet - therefore we do not have enough evidence to prove or disprove the MC first theory.

Ooccoo Watcher

Some guy with a Clawshot.
Well, I think people have already explained the split timeline pretty well, but I think SS will come towards the beggining, but after Minish Cap. The reason for this is that MC has no mention of the Master Sword, and SS is the story of the :mastersword: (this is confirmed). But honestly, we do not know nearly enough information to judge where Skyward Sword gos on the timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom