• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
personally I felt the presence of Zoras excluded the adult timeline from BOTW's placement options
in WW the zoras evolved into the rito (as a response to the flood for some reason), but with both of them coexisting the flood couldn't have been the trigger
unless you think there were zoras offscreen somewhere in WW, but I think they all died or grew wings
wack
I was actually wondering the other day why the Zora would evolve into Rito as the result of a FLOOD, but then I realized it was probably salt water. I want to say CT for BotW, but those darn Rito. Having Zora and Rito in the same game is such a contradiction. Unless, like you said, there's Rito somewhere that didn't evolve.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I was actually wondering the other day why the Zora would evolve into Rito as the result of a FLOOD, but then I realized it was probably salt water. I want to say CT for BotW, but those darn Rito. Having Zora and Rito in the same game is such a contradiction. Unless, like you said, there's Rito somewhere that didn't evolve.
yeah it's dumb haha
my best guess is that the floodwaters weren't safe due to things like gyorgs and big octos?
either way it's a massive facepalm
child is a strong contender due to that stupid line they threw in about twilight during the champion ceremony, but when I was first playing the game I remember seeing something that I realized couldn't exist in the child timeline... I just don't remember what that was, so sure could be child
in botw's case, the rito evolved from a separate trigger, is all
the zora and rito coexisting is ONLY a contradiction in the timeline where the rito evolved FROM zora. We don't know that's the case in botw.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
yeah it's dumb haha
my best guess is that the floodwaters weren't safe due to things like gyorgs and big octos?
child is a strong contender due to that stupid line they threw in about twilight during the champion ceremony, but when I was first playing the game I remember seeing something that I realized couldn't exist in the child timeline... I just don't remember what that was, so sure could be child
the zora and rito coexisting is ONLY a contradiction in the timeline where the rito evolved FROM zora. We don't know that's the case in botw.
I'm just racking my brain trying to think of anything in TP or OoT that Rito could evolve from, especially the BotW ones. Maybe Falco crash landed in Hyrule somewhere along the way.

One of the books, either Historia or Encyclopedia says that the water used to flood Hyrule has magic properties bestowed on it by the gods which don't allow certain races to thrive in it.

I guess it's that way to keep sentient races away from the Hyrule that was flooded so that things like the Master Sword and powerful things could stay trapped down there.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
yeah it's dumb haha
It's the references to the Ocarina of Time sages that rule out the Child Timeline because they were never awoken as Sages on it. Adult seems like a stretch to place BotW in, and that's why Downfall fits the best because:

• Long history of threats from Ganon
  • Zora still exist
  • Rito could have evolved either from a schism within the Zora and we do see a portion of civilized Zora and the River Zora who have gone wild. The Fokka are also Rito-like beings from Adventure of Link that could have civilized.
  • OoT Sages were awakened and referenced in the Towns from Adventure of Link

Mikey the Moblin

It's the references to the Ocarina of Time sages that rule out the Child Timeline because they were never awoken as Sages on it. Adult seems like a stretch to place BotW in, and that's why Downfall fits the best because:

• Zora still exist
  • Rito could have evolved either from a schism within the Zora and we do see a portion of civilized Zora and the River Zora who have gone wild. The Fokka are also Rito-like beings from Adventure of Link that could have civilized.
perfect, that's what it was
thanks

yeah downfall is the only place it can realistically go

I have heard that Breath of the Wild's celestial patterns indicate that the game is taking place in a different hemisphere than OoT, TWW, and TP. I've never paid much attention to a detail like this, but I've seen it brought up to support theories that BotW takes place in an era long after Spirit Tracks, where the waters that once flooded Hyrule receded.

Yeah, that's geography theorizing to the max lol

child is a strong contender due to that stupid line they threw in about twilight during the champion ceremony

Apparently with other languages, the full speech references ALttP and WW as well so I guess it was just a wink at the fans?

• Zora still exist

I've heard about MM's intro referencing something about the Hero of Time being remembered as evidence of the story passing on in the CT, but iirc, the English version also says Link 'faded out of legend' or something. If the Japanese version says otherwise, I guess it could work.

In TP, some Kakariko and Hyrule Castle gravestones have the first part of the WW intro story about the Hero of Time, but I saw this more as a reused asset rather than something to be taken as hard truth unless we are to believe that between OoT and TP, the written language went from OoT Hylian to TMC/FS/WW(backstory intro)/PH/ST Hylian to TP Hylian. (TMC and FS sharing this language is another reason I like the Four Swords game being after ST).

All of this is negated of course by HH saying that the Hero's Shade regretted not being remembered as a hero, even though TP only had him regret not passing down his skills.

The Goron statues in BotW's Goron City are directly attached to a statue of Daruk, so I saw it as heavier truth (like the WW stained glass OoT awakened sages).

Dev interviews tell us that AoL's town names are supposed to reference the sages, but Mido and Kasuto being present and Impa being absent make me think it's more like respected leaders/general historical figures (Darunia, Mido, Nabooru, Ruto are all tribe leaders, Saria was well respected in the tribe, Impa being a Sheikah wouldn't have been remembered).

I agree that Downfall still has the most going for it on the official timeline, though. To add onto the downfall placement:

ALBW and BotW also share the same written Hylian, an altered SS Hylian, possibly implying a resurgence in old Hylian tradition at ALBW. There's a theory that the Trophy from AoL ('goddess statue' in Japanese) is a Hylia Statue, indicating belief in her again after a long time. AoL had the Zelda naming rule after the prince put his sister to sleep with the wizard, so I can see the 'rule' being more tradition instead of law afterwards. In BotW, King Rhoam's journal references this tradition. The Tunic of the Wild also matches most with TLoZ/AoL Link's clothes, if that counts (unlike Amiibo items, which are extraneous means).

But I'm certainly not set in stone for downfall, especially since BotW2 hasn't dropped yet.

Mikey the Moblin

it does, it’s just covered by water.
like, you're saying that once hyrule was submerged after the events of the wind waker, the entire kingdom was preserved for nearly 10000 years after which some other cataclysmic event drained the world of water without destroying the kingdom that was somehow preserved while being subject to the mercy of the ocean, and THEN that world was repopulated by hylians who probably don't even remember that they came from somewhere other than new hyrule

that really StReTcHeS mY sUsPeNsIoN oF dIsBeLiEf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom