• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

Re-D3ad

Majora’s Worst Nightmare, Hero of Time
Okay, so I’m using this thread to write and talk about the Legend of Zelda timeline! I’m sure many of you would love to talk about it! Lots of theories in this community!

Here’s a picture of the official timeline!5627A2BE-C419-4CB5-BCFA-C20596895E6C.jpeg

Semi official. That the 2011 version from Hyrule Historia, which has since been replaced in canon by the version from The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia. This is the current version:
1200px-E_Timeline(1).png

Re-D3ad

Semi official. That the 2011 version from Hyrule Historia, which has since been replaced in canon by the version from The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia. This is the current version:
View attachment 44889

@TheHeroofTime I’m so sorry for my mistake I thought the timeline I posted was the official but I now know that there is a new version, I like both of the versions there kind of the same. I’m new at this timeline stuff and am very sorry if I made a huge incompetent mistake please forgive me

~Re-D3ad

So...has anyone ever noticed that each of the three timelines have a different theme?

The Adult Timeline is about moving on from the past. Ganon, (Old) Hyrule, and the Master Sword are eradicated forevermore by the Triforce, and Hyrule Kingdom is reestablished in a new land, with the MS, Triforce, Ganon having no place there, with new threats and new holy blades being forged.

The Downfall Timeline is the opposite, with the world being UNABLE to escape the past; Ganon more or less becomes a demonic god who constantly returns no matter how many times he is destroyed and/or sealed, and Hyrule goes through golden eras followed by ages of decline. In ALBW, Link is even called, ''The hero of OUR time'', as if these cycles are expected.

The Child Timeline is interesting; since most of the events of OoT were prevented from happening, things take WAY different turns than the other two timelines, symbolizing the change of destiny the Hero of Time caused by stopping the events of the future from happening. First off, Hyrule never faces destruction like on the AT, and most people in the CT games don't even suspect Hyrule to be on the brink of it like it is on the DT all the time. Compared to the other two timelines, there is no cataclysmic destruction or near destruction of Hyrule, and there's alot less harm caused by the villains on this timeline than the other two. A new Ganon is born after the original one dies in TP, which is something that never happens on the other two timelines.

@Re-D3ad Oh dear... I hope you didn't take my comment to be criticism of you in any way. I was just trying to be helpful and informative, and if I came across as abrasive I'm really sorry. It's really common to mix up the timelines, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a mistake, so don't feel like you did anything wrong. Honestly, it's debatable whether or not the current timeline makes any more sense than the old, but it does add A Link Between Worlds, so at least that's good!

Also, even Encyclopedia says that the timeline is completely subjective and up to interpretation.

It also adds TFH, so that's good. I think it makes more sense this way, as Link doesn't know Zelda in the OoX games.

Also interestingly, only the English version of the Encyclopedia says that; it doesn't exist in the JP, kind of like how the English version still says that OoX Link is the same guy as ALttP/LA which defeats the purpose of that change. Or how the next page says that Ganon was involved in FS GBA. For some reason, the English version added stuff and made mistakes not present in the original.

I'm actually mad that they added TFH. It doesn't fit with the series at all.

Also, that is interesting. I didn't know that wasn't in the Japanese version.

Meh, having TFH is fine, IMO. It doesn't hurt anything, and I say that as someone who has it as their least favourite Zelda.

Here's a page of the Japanese version without that quote, if you're curious: https://i.imgur.com/q4yFr0Z.jpg

I used to be able to find it in better quality, but most sites with Japanese scans were removed after the localization came out.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
you know what, just for the heck of it, this is the timeline I made several years back

zelda timeline.png

-Link's crossbow training and Ancient Stone Tables I threw in there as a half joke, half even if they were canon, it doesn't affect anything
-honestly, the only reason I put the Four Swords Saga there is b/c the adult timeline is pretty lonesome, ha, I think more realistically they can go before or after the NES games, I'm lukewarm on their official placements

You know if it wasn't for the official timeline, I could see an AT placement for the FSS:

-Link in TMC wears a green tunic but no cap, and some of the soldiers in ST wear the green tunic without the same style cap Link has in other games, which could start a tradition to explain why TMC Link has the tunic but no hat.

-TMC Hyrule has different names for places that are usually consistent in Hyrule, like having Mount Crenel for a volcanic mountain rather than Death Mountain, with it only gradually gaining more ''Old Hyrule'' names.

-Aonuma said that he considered the artstyle of FS GBA when making FSA, menaing artstyle may have an influence in regards to timeline placement for other titles too; incidentally, the FSS has a very similar artstyle to the AT games.

-The Triforce is never mentioned by name and is seemingly not known by anyone, which matches up with ST.

Re-D3ad

That makes sense! I also think that fourswords should go in the adult timeline, why would they not know of the triforce in the child timeline? It only makes sense if they’re in the adult timeline, the art style looks so much like WW and other games in the adult timeline, This timeline is very confusing but lucky it’s up for interpretation!

I will say that I do like how the AT in the official timeline has nothing after ST, though; gives Nintendo more room to get creative, maybe introduce a new villain for New Hyrule. I also like how putting TMC and FS pre-split makes it so Vaati can potentially show up again in the AT and DT, like he does in the CT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom