• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time Travel

Linkette

Heroine of Time
We all know that Link is able to travel through time. But is it really possible? Post your theories here.

When we look at stars we don't see them how they look just now we see them what they looked like millions of years ago.

But if we were travel in the future, it would be harder than travelling to the past because I heard someone saying that the future depends on us and our actions so there's no thing such as destiny.

Quite a few times I had dreams and they came true later. It was creepy.

Do you have any time travelling theories? Have ideas for building a time machine? Post them here.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I like the idea of time travel. Although it sadly is mere science fiction. Or is it? They said the same thing about Cat Scans and now they're common medical procedure like X-Rays. They also said the same thing about cloning but they did that too (not saying I agree with it though). Basically what I'm saying is that Time Travel at this particular moment is science fiction but may become science reality some day. If anything can make someone (or something) travel through time it's probably a black hole. I dunno why but it's the best shot. After all the matter they suck up... nobody really knows where (or when) it goes.

Claire

The Geekette
Time travel theories have been discussed concerning their plausibility for centuries. Albert Einstein's theory to relativity allowed the theoretical ability to travel through time. No one has yet demonstrated whether or not time travel is practical, but there are plenty of theoretical physicists who are persistent in showing a practical demonstration time travel. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, time slows as an object approaches the speed of light. This leads many scientists to believe that traveling faster than the speed of light could open up the possibility of time travel to the past as well as to the future. The problem is that the speed of light is believed to be the highest speed at which something can travel, so it is unlikely that we will be able to travel into the past. As an object nears the speed of light, its relativistic mass increases until, at the speed of light, it becomes infinite. Accelerating an infinite mass any faster than that is impossible, or at least it seems to be right now.

Perhaps the most common, hypothetical methods for time travel to the past are via rotating black holes, wormholes, and cosmic strings. There are many theoretical physicists presenting their theories and opinions on time travel, or once have, including Carl Sagan, Kip Thorne, Stephen Hawking, Matt Visser, and Michio Kaku. There are also theories as to how to travel into the future, though, I'm more familiar with the time travel theories involving travel into history, or in the past.

Linkette

Heroine of Time
I've also read somewhere that it's possible to get out of a black hole but it takes millions (or thousands, I'm not sure) years. So if a person wanted to use black hole warp they would have to live for ever (or at least a lery long time)

S

Subrosian

Time is the human brain's inability to percieve everything at once.
So no, it wouldn't be possible.

D

dug428

How do you know that a guy that is standing in the house right beside you is not a timetraveler? We wouldn;'t know. Maybe one of us is time traveling, but we forgot. It sure is a mystery. It's not time traveling i'm worried about. It's time paradoxes. (The world exploding)

M

miranda

well time is relative

it would probably be a painful experience to travel through time anyway, and not really all that much worth it

S

Seizure

There is no such thing as "time travel" in the way most of us think of it. As Miranda said, time is relative.

According to the theory of relativity, time travel is indeed possible. The problem however is that the conditions under which it applies are virtually impossible for us to accomplish at this time, and possibly forever.

But if one were to entertain the possibility of traveling at speeds equal to, or even greater then the speed of light, then from what I understand, it isn't so much that time is slowing down (since time is relative to everything) but rather that, according to a very complex set of laws and derived equations, you are in a "pocket" of time, if you will, that in relation to everything else, goes slower then any objects around you that happen to not be moving as fast.

An example would be if you had identical twins. One becomes an Astronaut, and the other becomes a secretary. After an indefinite amount of rides on the rocket ship, the Astronaut will be noticeably "younger" then the secretary.

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
here be a bit of an explanation into einsteins ideas about space-time

imagine space-time as a flat plane ----------------------
this plane coulb also be percieved as a flexible sheet

gravity pulls in the space around it, right. so why not time as well, space-time being a single entity

on our s/t line place an object like the sun
--------O/--------

the mass of the sun pulls at the t-s stretching it tighter making s/t move around it faster to keep up with the rest, thus a second on the sun could be an X hours around or on earth.
so a black hole, which is an extremly dense object with extreme high gravity, high enough to catch light and pull it in.

a black hole on our s/t sheet might look like this

llllllllllllllllllll/-----------------------( the "l" are to keep the shape)
llllllllllllllllll/
llllllllllllllll/
llllllllllllll/
llllllllllll/
llllllllll/
llllllll/
llllll/
llll/

that might be a bit of an exxagaration but you get the idea
1 sec in black hole=(maybe)= X amount of years on earth, thus "time" moves on without you.

Now for some of my opinions on the issues with time travel.

1) you go back, whatever you do, its already been done. you could go back to try to avert a disaster, and you may find you were directly responsible.

2) all depends on how you go back
2a) jump from time-to-time, but in yearly increments. you "drop" out of time the earth still on its orbit.
2b) perhaps space-time many layers, every second recorded, large enogh force=temporary rift in space-time
2c) traveling faster than speed of light my be possble, but would require an enormous amount of energy, 'cause faster you go, more atoms pile up in front of you, increasing mass.

3) if #1 is true then really maybe the future is pre-destined. THE FUTURE IS SOMEONE ELSE'S PRESENT. OUR PRESENT IS THEIR PAST.

there's something for you to ponder

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think time traveling to the future would be dangerous. They say that time travel to the past would be the most dangerous, because of causality (you effect something small in the past and it botches up your "present" hence why Adolf Hitler gets assassination-immunity in most time travel stories). I think future time travel could potentially be more dangerous, at least on an individual level.

Frankly, I don't want to know my future. If I knew my "future" (present) in the past, I might have let myself die before my time. In fact, I once wrote a really bad short story spurred by an idea I had that "maybe I was supposed to die back in the past, and I'm temporally-displaced and that's why I'm so miserable now." I've gotten a *bit* better since then, but only by a bit.

Seriously, if I were to travel to the future and look my future-self up, I might find my future-self as an old woman, homeless and eating discarded Taco Bell out of a dumpster. If that is my fate, I do not want to know it. I would lose all hope for the present.

Likewise, if I were to travel to the future and find out that I've become the next grand fantasy novelist, or that my art has changed the art world or something cool like that, where my vision is seen and my voice is heard - all my wildest dreams... I might come back to my present with a loss of ambition. If I'm going to achive these great things anyway, why *work* so hard, why *try* so hard? That would lead to apathy, and to boredom, which would be just as dibilitiating to me as a loss of hope.

Also, imagine, if you will, traveling to the future so far that you wouldn't run into your future self, just to see what the world and society are like. What if you came to a future where everything's been destroyed in a firey cataclysm?

Or, perhaps even worse, the world is a shining utopia where everyone gets along and everything is just utterly happy, BUT this world is one that has no room for "people like you." Say, you're a Republican and this perfect world has abolished the Republican party, or you're religious in some fashion and this world is the shining athiest utopia that so many science fiction writers have thought will eventually happen in the future, or, conversely, perhaps you are an athiest and this world is, as strange as it might be, an explicitly religious utopia where people have come to agreement or some kind of "right way." Or, to give a Futurama reference, maybe you like Star Trek and in this world a thousand years in the future has come to see Star Trek fandom as dangerous and has banned all things Trek with extreme predjudice....

Long story short, you come upon a perfect, world, but find out that you are and always were WRONG and, what's more, this world has had to *rid itself of people like you* in order to become right. Now, how would that make you feel? Would you go back to your time and commit suicide for the sake of perserving the future? Perhaps you would gather others like you and tell them of this, encouraging them to "die and get out of the way" for the sake of your decscendants' happiness?

And all of these things could drastically change the futurescape from what it was once going to be.

Unless of course, your time travel into the future is as such as it does not allow you to return to the past or "your time." One-way trip. I think causality is minimized if not elimiated if it's only a one-way trip. After all, we are *all* traveling into the future in momentary increments and it's a one-way trip.

Also, I see time travel, particularly in regards to the future and changing stuff and being able to come back as something that would create multitudes of different offshoot universes - either that, or we'd all be traveling, messing up things so much that, much like the rest of nature, we humans would ruin things. I could see we humans, should we gain TARDS-es or Flux Capacitors just turning Space-Time into soup. Gray soup.

Here are some reasons I think time travel wouldn't be possible:

1)If you went back in time, you would gradually grow younger and younger until you are un-born (I think that would be the correct term). I got this one from Calvin + Hobbes (It's a good comic for philosophy and humor). It only makes sense if you think about it. The time would affect your body, unless you used a complicated enough math equation, it should keep time busy.
2)If you were to see, touch, or hear yourself IRL back in time, it would be a paradox. You and your past self would fuse together thus sort of going back in time but I think the fusion may kill you, stay as two separate beings your whole lives not being able to go back to the way it was, or the universe would explode because the logics would go beyond universal comprehension, therefore the universe would be overwhelmed and combust.
3)Going back in time in the first place would erase either your original era, or you because you would go back in time, and in order to do that, you would need a mechanism that adjusts the timeline, therefore erasing whatever is in the future ahead of it.
4)The mechanism would not be able to cross time because it's neither invisible or nonexistent; it's everything around us.
5)In order to time travel, the machine would need to be able to remember every single thing that happened. That's not possible since the machine was just made, the hard drive would have to be at least the size of Asia, and in order to program it to remember every exact thing, we would need to copy the memory from every living thing, and some of them wouldn't want that, most of them are dead, and we can't copy memory from the brain onto a machine. Also, no one knows whats in the futures so you can cross that off.

But I'm just ruining our fun. If I could time travel, I would go back to a time of inflation in America (preferably the 1920s) and get all of the money which is worthless in that time, but over here it's worth alot. Then I could be extremely rich.

G

Goron Guru

Time Travel: When And/or Where Would You Go?

I am curious to know: What time period would you most want to visit? For me... I'd want to go to the early 20th century, say, 1900-1930's. The main reason-- The time of the great airships. I'd kill to be able to ride in one of those, to be able to float across the skies like a cloud. And the cars-- a while back I watched as someone pulled up in a vintage car, and I thought about how awesome it'd be to see more of those around.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
you know i always thought that it would be interesting to have a history class where they used time machines to teach. but on to your question IDk i might go back to famous events in history

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom