• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time Paradoxes

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sometimes I experience what I could only describe as a time paradox. The passage of time begins to occur differently for me than it might for other people, and it's contradictory to the "normal" passage of time.

I think the most relatable phenomenon is having a lot of fun, during which time flies by very fast. Now, for some reason when I'm doing really boring and mundane tasks I'll feel like I've been doing it for a much longer time than I actually have. 10 minutes will feel more like at least 30 to 45 minutes, but when I realize I've only spent 10 minutes on the task, it's a staggering realization. Lately in my adult life, this is the version of a time paradox I experience the most of at my job.

Have any of you experienced similar instances of time passing paradoxically? Which has happened to you more frequently, time passing faster than you thought, or slower? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

"Time flies when you're having fun"

I used to have a job where I worked in a factory for 12 hour shifts and it was boring as hell and sometimes physically draining.

There was one time where I'd felt I'd been there for hours and I looked at the clock and it had only been 45 minutes and I felt so trapped and if time was moving so slowly and that the shift was never going to end that I just started to cry.

There've also been times where I've felt sick while travelling and time has gone so slowly because I've been trying not to throw up.

Even today I lost a chunk of my day. It was 10:30am when I checked the clock and then, after what only felt like thirty minutes or so, I checked the clock again and it was 13:45. I have no idea where that time went.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Same here. Sometimes when I deliver mail I think I've been busy for at least 30 minutes and then I check and it was only like 10 minutes. But the opposite happens a lot too. Also when I sleep I wake up and it's like 3.30am and I fall asleep and wake up and feel like it must be at least 5.30am but then it's only 3.35 am

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
A time paradox is actually when a contradiction appears in time such as the origin of the song of storms in OoT or the Grandfather paradox.
This is simply your sense of time being different from what the actual time is and I've definitely had it in school, work, and when I'm having a lot of fun.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A time paradox is actually when a contradiction appears in time such as the origin of the song of storms in OoT or the Grandfather paradox.
I'm aware, but because the passage of time for me is skewed in such instances, it is paradoxical, because my perception of time is contrary to the reality of what the time actually is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom