• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time of Day

In Oot, WW, and TP, there was day and night. I am assuming that there will be day and night in SS, but I thought of a cool Idea. What if the time of day in the game, depended on the time you Wii is set to. For example, if your Wii is set for 8 AM, it is 8 AM in the game. This way, the games time will stay with the time of day. When its night, it will be night in SS. Unlike other games when the time changed at will.

So, what do you think. it is not likely, but I think it is a cool idea.

Tell you opinion in the comments.

(Also, in OoT 3D, on the start screen, is it supposed to show link holding his sword out in front and spinning? Because I have seen that and mine does not do it.)

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
Do you mean having a 24-hour in-game cycle? That would be amazing, but I can't see it happening. It works well in games like Animal Crossing, where you need a lengthy day-span to get things done. In Zelda Titles, you need a quick changing format between day and night.
Like Ocarina of Time, for example. When hunting for Skulltulas, it was easy once you had the Sun's Song. With Majora's Mask, similar story, the game would have been ridiculously easy, but really boring - 72 Real-Time hours, with a lot of waiting for triggers at certain times each day. In Windwaker, then, you had the Ghost ship, which appeared at night.
However, I think it would be really cool if they incorporated a Seasonal aspect to the game, as they do in Animal Crossing, and Pokémon Black/White. Having a Hyrule covered in snow, grass, and autumn foliage would be really cool, and give a lot of replay quality to the game, IMO.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I personally don't see this happening. The point of the faster time is to simulate Link traveling across the land. As we know, the area of Hyrule is not to scale of what it'd be in real life. Makes perfect sense that the time is set to go faster.

I think it would be really cool if they incorporated a Seasonal aspect to the game, as they do in Animal Crossing, and Pokémon Black/White. Having a Hyrule covered in snow, grass, and autumn foliage would be really cool, and give a lot of replay quality to the game, IMO.

Seasons would just be a nuisance in my opinion.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
Do you mean having a 24-hour in-game cycle? That would be amazing, but I can't see it happening. It works well in games like Animal Crossing, where you need a lengthy day-span to get things done. In Zelda Titles, you need a quick changing format between day and night.
Like Ocarina of Time, for example. When hunting for Skulltulas, it was easy once you had the Sun's Song. With Majora's Mask, similar story, the game would have been ridiculously easy, but really boring - 72 Real-Time hours, with a lot of waiting for triggers at certain times each day. In Windwaker, then, you had the Ghost ship, which appeared at night.
However, I think it would be really cool if they incorporated a Seasonal aspect to the game, as they do in Animal Crossing, and Pokémon Black/White. Having a Hyrule covered in snow, grass, and autumn foliage would be really cool, and give a lot of replay quality to the game, IMO.

Exactly. That would be a big problem, especially if you weren't given a song or such to control the time. It would take too long to switch from day to night or vise versa, and it would get boring to have to sit and wait for hours, and it would be EXTREMELY annoying to have to wait until a certain time of day to turn the console back on. Honestly, I don't agree with that idea. If they had time in the game, sure. But if that time moved as slowly as it does in real life, sooooo many people would be highly irritated.
The seasons thing I agree with though. I highly hope they have seasons, it would make it more interesting and more real.

maybe the seasons could work (?), but I agree, it would not work, we need faster time in zelda, but I would not mind if there was a day system like in MM, I mean, slower time, even with a clock

btw, since I use to play alway at the same time, it would get old :/, not only that, I use to play late night, would the npc always sleeping? xP

OhYeah!

♫A▼▲A▼▲
Good ideas but I don't think it would work for a game like Zelda. Of what we've seen, It doesn't look like Skyward Sword is going to be based on time at all.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
(Also, in OoT 3D, on the start screen, is it supposed to show link holding his sword out in front and spinning? Because I have seen that and mine does not do it.)

That's only after you beat the game and unlock Master Quest.

On topic, I think this wouldn't be a good idea. What if you need it to be night in the game for a sidequest? We can't stay up all night playing, and continouously changing the system's internal clock could become as tedious as using the Iron Boots th the N64 version of Ocarina of Time.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I think seasons would be a good idea if it only affected how the environment looks. I wouldn't like to have constant wind during autumn or heavy snow during winter. If it's only for the looks -- such as in the Fishing Hole from Twilight Princess (although it did affect the fish) -- then that would be great. :)

Having a real-time time system in Zelda wouldn't be a good idea, though. Especially since, if you think about younger players with strict bedtimes, some people can't play the game at certain times and therefore would miss out on a lot of things.

I really like that idea. Plus it's used well in Pokemon so it has good potential. Plus being up in Skyloft at night sounds like it would be beautiful.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
It's neat, but it's troublesome all the same. It would, in short, be quite tedious waiting for specific times when you're up and ready to go for a sidequest/event. It works in games like Animal Crossing because it's a game that reflects "real" living instead of being a paced action/adventure story.

Now, if they had a time system similar to Majora's Mask (without an overall limit), then that could work :)

Have you ever hunted Poes in Twilight Princess? They only appear at night. The time of day isn't in a 24-hour period, like in real life. That was annoying itself. So, I highly doubt something like that would be incorporated.

As for the Seasons. I wouldn't mind. If they changed every 12 hours, or so. It wouldn't be to much of a problem. As long as it's not for something highly important. Such as, entering dungeons, fighting a boss, etc. Unless of course you can control it, but that seems unlikely. Simply having it for aesthetics, or changing up the enemies attack/weakness pattern, would be fine with me.

I prefer the Zelda world regulated time system, but a time system utilizing the Wii console's internal clock might be rather cumbersome and annoying, that it may potentially border on disastrous for the Zelda series.

On a slightly off-topic note, I would like to see some events in Skyward Sword that only occur during certain times of day(day or night), though. ...using SS's own time and NOT the internal clock of the Wii, of course. ...just to be clear.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
I think it would be really cool if they incorporated a Seasonal aspect to the game, as they do in Animal Crossing, and Pokémon Black/White. Having a Hyrule covered in snow, grass, and autumn foliage would be really cool, and give a lot of replay quality to the game, IMO.

That would be really cool if they did that.

You're assuming that every single Zelda game needs to have day or night based sidequests. From what we've seen of Skyward Sword, the game primarily revolves around flying around the sky, revisiting your hub town (Skyloft, your hometown), and diving to the land below. Time of day doesn't seem relevant to that. Especially since the only thing that time of day has every strongly affected is the goings-on in town, and we probably won't have a large focus on towns in this game.

I don't imagine Skyward Sword will consider day and night that important, so I think that the idea of realistic time would be awesome, especially if all effort of what it affects was put into the visuals; if they put a lot of work into the visuals of either time of day and made it striking with the artstyle, then that would be amazing. Similarly, because of the artstyle I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they made it always stay day, although thinking about it logically, that would be unlikely.

On a slightly off-topic note, I would like to see some events in Skyward Sword that only occur during certain times of day(day or night), though. ...using SS's own time and NOT the internal clock of the Wii, of course. ...just to be clear.
But that's happened in every game since Ocarina of Time. Is it really an absolute necessity to the series? Isn't dropping it for one game fine?

More real? That would make it to where Link's journey would take years. How's that realistic?
I lol'd.

Seasonal changes won't occur without major storyline significance, and we clearly will not have that in Skyward Sword. Its main themes have already been revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom