• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time has passed: Thoughts on Smash Bros. 4

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Smash Bros. 4 has now had a bit of time to sit and bake in the sun, so I'm wondering what you think of it now that a bit of time has passed. Is it as good as you initially thought? Have a few things come up you're not too happy about? Tell it, gurl, right here!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm still kind of annoyed that the Wii U version is so much better than the 3DS version, but other than that I think it's pretty cool. To be honest, Smash Run was the most fun I had with it. I haven't touched the game in a few months, though. For me, it's not something I'd play very often on my own. It's more fun to play with others. I didn't really care for the new roster, since I mainly just use Toon Link, but I enjoyed using Lucina and Robin at times, too.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I feel it's reasonable that the Wii U version is better considering it's better hardware. It would be madness to intentionally just keep it on the 3DS version's level.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Once again, a step down from melee and the controls still feel mediocre compared to other fighting games. What's new?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Honestly, there's a little I'm unhappy about. It's mostly about the balance of the game. Most characters are balanced, but there are a few that almost ruin the game, honestly. They're just way too quick to be that powerful, or way too powerful to be that quick. There are some characters that have easy, guaranteed combos and others just flat out don't.

Other than that, it's a great fighting game. Most characters take actual skill to be competitive with, and watching matches isn't boring. Overall, I'm definitely satisfied. Just wish they'd polished it more.

Very underwhelming compared to Melee, but a bit better than Brawl. Honestly, I could care less about the game due to some of the features from both versions like crappy 2-minute online matches and no Adventure Mode.

It could've been so much better.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Same old same old I'll say.

I want to make it clear than I've only played the 3DS version, so my judgement may not be 100% right, but I've seen enough gameplay and because it's basically the same thing, so I think I give an educated opinion. Like a lot of Nintendo games, I feel too familiar with them and once the novelty of it being a new game has worn off it's the same old game I've played time and time again.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Next Smash should just be Boudokai 3 with nintendo characters.

The game's just another example of Nintendo not doing anything new to their games other than giving them minor things like better graphics and some crappy new modes. Smash 4 was pretty much Brawl with a fresh coat of paint while being somewhat faster than the latter.

Seriously, Nintendo, give us something different to your games without playing it safe so much. -___-

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's a meh from me, really. Not as good as Melee and it's just Smash Bros. Nothing else to say, really, it doesn't push any boundaries and is just the same thing as we've had before; that's fine for some, Nintendo fans especially don't mind that it seems, but I got a bored of it much quicker with it than I did Brawl because of how stale it feels. It's probably objectively better than Brawl, sure, I'll give Ninty that, but I'm not enjoying it as much.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I only own the 3DS version, but I've played quite a bit of the Wii U version, and I'm not sure if I like the Wii U version better, I pretty much like them equally. The controls on the 3DS don't bother me since I've gotten used to them, and I actually primarily used the 3DS as my controller while playing the Wii U version. Since I don't have an HDMI compatible TV at home, the game looks like crap unless I used the Gamepad. The 3DS version is nice because you can play it anywhere.

I think the game is good still, even after being out for more than 3 months. I picked it up for the first time in like a month the other night, and loved it. I played it again last night, and had just as much fun with it as I did before.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
It's pretty much what I expected from Smash 4. And I'm loving it. Of course, if you want to play competitively, then Melee is the better choice, but for everything else, Smash 4 is better. While Brawl was a huge improvement from Melee, I don't think Smash 4 is quite as big of an improvement from Brawl, because they did make some questionable choices in this game. Of course, being a competitive player, there are several things I could nitpick, but overall, I'm very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom