• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Time for voice acting

Do you want proper voice acting

• Yes

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't understand why waiting a few extra seconds for somebody to finish they're saying is so bad. Sitting through half hour cutscenes in the older Zelda games, while incredibly annoying, didn't slog down the gameplay, so I don't see why stopping to listen to an NPC for 10 seconds would.
You actually don't have to wait when speaking to people in Skyrim or fallout, or Dragon Age inquisition for that matter. You can skip the dialogue and the text comes up for characters before they have said all their lines.There is no legitimate problem with voice acting making you wait longer to get to some gameplay.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
You actually don't have to wait when speaking to people in Skyrim or fallout, or Dragon Age inquisition for that matter. You can skip the dialogue and the text comes up for characters before they have said all their lines.There is no legitimate problem with voice acting making you wait longer to get to some gameplay.
Here's the problem however. Though the option is there, it is lazily built. The text that shows is there yes, however, it still slows the game down considerably. This still breaks up the text considerably. Not to mention, you only interrupt the speaking, which is again, poorly built. In Skyrim or Falliut, for example, I got tired of finally hearing voices, this was in the Rose with Thorns quest I believe. So I skipped the dialogue. The audio froze up, and it skipped the rest of the entire conversation(this was in the PS3 version btw). This has happened around 16 times since in Skyrim alone. The game clearly was not built to truly accommodate for this function. Especially since the speaker still speaks while you are reading.

Here's the problem however. Though the option is there, it is lazily built. The text that shows is there yes, however, it still slows the game down considerably. This still breaks up the text considerably. Not to mention, you only interrupt the speaking, which is again, poorly built. In Skyrim or Falliut, for example, I got tired of finally hearing voices, this was in the Rose with Thorns quest I believe. So I skipped the dialogue. The audio froze up, and it skipped the rest of the entire conversation(this was in the PS3 version btw). This has happened around 16 times since in Skyrim alone. The game clearly was not built to truly accommodate for this function. Especially since the speaker still speaks while you are reading.
Yeah but that's not a failure of VA, that's a debug failure. Also it's sort of unfair to bring up Bethesda games to cite bugs and flaws, since they're some of the buggiest games in existence.

Dan

I don't mind if there's voice acting or not.
I'm aware some people believe that Zelda needs voice acting if it's to succeed in today's video game industry but that's illogical.
I'm a swift reader and wouldn't be able to appreciate voice acting on top of my text boxes. Voice acting would work much better within quick action packed cutscenes as I feel some of the intensity is lost when the scene is looping until the user has finished reading reading the text.

If Zelda U is to receive voice acting please don't cast Nathan Nolan.

I dont think voice acting has any impact on narrative delivery or story. In fact more often i get pulled out of the experience for too much blabbing than because there isnt much spoken dialog in a game.

And again full voice acting in a game made by Nintendo can easily backfire. Young adults rarely, very rarely are executed well in any kind of medium (movies, anime, games) Can you imagine how awful OoT would be if we had to listen to a fully voiced Link go back and forth between a brat age and a young adult? Any mood the game worked so hard to keep would be destroyed.

Dan

I dont think voice acting has any impact on narrative delivery or story. In fact more often i get pulled out of the experience for too much blabbing than because there isnt much spoken dialog in a game.

And again full voice acting in a game made by Nintendo can easily backfire. Young adults rarely, very rarely are executed well in any kind of medium (movies, anime, games) Can you imagine how awful OoT would be if we had to listen to a fully voiced Link go back and forth between a brat age and a young adult? Any mood the game worked so hard to keep would be destroyed.

I agree, too many voice actors with cringe inducing performances. Problem is good voice actors are overused pulling me out of the experience.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Why do I have a feeling that if there was voice acting everyone would sound like they came out of a circus?
zeldacdi.jpg

I feel like if done right it could definitely add to the experience of the game, but if you do add voice acting to the game it can potentially make things much worse rather than better. I feel it's a bit of a gamble.
I watched this a while back, and thought it was a nice example of voice acting in Zelda.

Ideally I would want voice acting in Zelda, but have Link relatively silent, because I feel it adds to the experience. Also Link always has been a relatively silent character, so for him to suddenly have more dialogue would be quite a change.

I watched this a while back, and thought it was a nice example of voice acting in Zelda.

Not gonna lie, but that is an example of voice acting done wrong. None of the voices matched any of the character's original voices from the game and the tone of voice was somewhat plain. And the fact that they kept the original voice clips in the video made the character's voices inconsistent which sort of spoiled the whole thing. I was really let down with volga's Voice, There was no trait of Lu Bu in his voice whatsoever, A character whom I think Volga's personality was inspired from.

I appreciate the fact it's a fan dub, but after sitting through that, I think Nintendo would be better off sticking to their traditional voice method.

Not gonna lie, but that is an example of voice acting done wrong. None of the voices matched any of the character's original voices from the game and the tone of voice was somewhat plain. And the fact that they kept the original voice clips in the video made the character's voices inconsistent which sort of spoiled the whole thing. I was really let down with volga's Voice, There was no trait of Lu Bu in his voice whatsoever, A character whom I think Volga's personality was inspired from.

I appreciate the fact it's a fan dub, but after sitting through that, I think Nintendo would be better off sticking to their traditional voice method.
But your supposition doesn't make sense. It's predicated on the original voice clips. But if Nintendo gave full VA to a new game, there would be no prior clips to formulate your bias from, and your point would be moot. And it would also be pointless to say that the new voice actors don't match with other voice clips of older games, if one were to try to make such a point, because these characters are new characters and as such don't need to conform to older examples.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. Keep that crap out. Especially VA from Nintendo.

Zelda isn't a story heavy game anyway, and there's no reason to slow the game down and add costs with VA.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I voted yes.

However, by no means is voice acting required for a game to achieve some sort of modernity. That's a silly sentiment, at best. Zelda has done just fine with text boxes.

I will agree with that @.X. fellow when he said that the people knocking points off Zelda games for lack of voice acting are being irrational.

People have preferences, and that is fine, but the lack of voice acting has never detracted from the Zelda experience. Do I prefer a Zelda game with voice acting for everyone but Link himself? Yes. If Zelda NX does not have voice acting, will it be a bad game? No.

We've played the series for 30 years now, and never had voice acting, and the games were still great.

But your supposition doesn't make sense. It's predicated on the original voice clips. But if Nintendo gave full VA to a new game, there would be no prior clips to formulate your bias from, and your point would be moot. And it would also be pointless to say that the new voice actors don't match with other voice clips of older games, if one were to try to make such a point, because these characters are new characters and as such don't need to conform to older examples.

What are you on about? My point is based on one game that has enough vocal material to conjure up a speaking voice, I have no idea why you brought up older Zelda games when that's not what I was getting at in the first place.

All I'm saying is the fans who did the fan dub for Hyrule Warriors didn't really do very good impressions for those characters. I'm no professional voice actor, nor do I want to be, but I'm confident I could of done a better Volga impression then what was done in that video.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

I'll agree with you there on the VA done wrong. I am someone who really wants voice acting but it needs to be done correctly and some of those voices just did not go well with the characters. This is not a professional cast but honestly there are better amateurs that could have made this work better.

An example of VA done right for iconic previously non speaking characters is Dissidia Final Fantasy. I think they really selected a stellar cast for iconic characters I particularly like Kefka and Exdeath's voices.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I voted no. I don't mind VA, but unless they can find a way to refer to the player as a name, preferably "Link" since he's not a avatar, then I'd rather no voice acting. Frankly put, no VA is better then having to listen to voice actors dance around the fact that they can't speak like normal people and simply refer to a character in the story by a name. I don't want to hear "you, come here quickly!" or "hello Hero." or "Hi ..." It's jarring and annoying and I don't want to hear it, all this goes double if the game have dialogue choices as then we have to deal with every bit of action or emotional investment you may have in a cut scene be forcibly ripped away as the game has to pause for you to pick from three different options that will all sound just as robotic as the last.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I voted no. I don't mind VA, but unless they can find a way to refer to the player as a name, preferably "Link" since he's not a avatar, then I'd rather no voice acting. Frankly put, no VA is better then having to listen to voice actors dance around the fact that they can't speak like normal people and simply refer to a character in the story by a name. I don't want to hear "you, come here quickly!" or "hello Hero." or "Hi ..." It's jarring and annoying and I don't want to hear it, all this goes double if the game have dialogue choices as then we have to deal with every bit of action or emotional investment you may have in a cut scene be forcibly ripped away as the game has to pause for you to pick from three different options that will all sound just as robotic as the last.
'OI YOU LITTLE POT BREAKING SOD! I WANT REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE OTHER DAY!'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom