• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time Block

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Why? These blue bricks are scattered through OoT but what are they? Why are they? Do I remember right that they only appeared on the adult timeline? Either way, who put them there? I'm a big fan of Nintendo's "gameplay first" principle so it's totally fine if the only justification for these blocks is that they make for good gameplay, but maybe speculate on their origin for a minute.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The one in the Temple of Time works as an in universe thing. The rest idk, but maybe the temples were built with things only meant for the Hero of Time to access.
Is there one in the Temple of Time? I was hoping maybe I missed the in-universe explanation. I thought the whole "we were just testing you" reasoning behind the shrines in BotW was still a little lame even though they addressed it directly.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Is there one in the Temple of Time? I was hoping maybe I missed the in-universe explanation. I thought the whole "we were just testing you" reasoning behind the shrines in BotW was still a little lame even though they addressed it directly.
Yeah, that's why Zelda throws you the Ocarina of Time and gives you that vision to teach you the Song of Time, because the "door of time" is actually just a time block.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yeah, that's why Zelda throws you the Ocarina of Time and gives you that vision to teach you the Song of Time, because the "door of time" is actually just a time block.
But that's not the canon for if time, right? I just mean, for the purpose of in-universe reasoning, should we count the Door of Time as a time block?

Of course, it makes sense that the developers would introduce time blocks only after Link gains the Ocarina of Time and learns the Song of Time. It just seems that there would be an in-universe explanation for why time blocks would only exist in the adult era. Unless I'm wrong and there are time blocks in the child Era.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
are you talking about the blocks that you play the song of time to??
cuz theres some in the graveyard....and some otheres that cant think of offthe top....

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
are you talking about the blocks that you play the song of time to??
cuz theres some in the graveyard....and some otheres that cant think of offthe top....
You're talking the one in Dampé's grave? That'd be adult, right? I guess with it being in his grave, it follows that it would have been placed there during the seven years and then sealed up.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
But that's not the canon for if time, right? I just mean, for the purpose of in-universe reasoning, should we count the Door of Time as a time block?
I guess we could, or just replace every usage of "time block" in this thread with "time door." Not being sarcastic, just saying that maybe they're some sort of door meant only for the Hero of Time to be able to open, and the most notable one is the one in the Temple of Time that protects the Master Sword.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I guess we could, or just replace every usage of "time block" in this thread with "time door." Not being sarcastic, just saying that maybe they're some sort of door meant only for the Hero of Time to be able to open, and the most notable one is the one in the Temple of Time that protects the Master Sword.
That was my point. They may have used the skin of a time block on the Door of Time but in universe, the Door of Time isn't just a time block. If I'm understanding you right.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Ocarina of Time is stated to have been made from timeshift stones in Hyrule Historia, so its possible those blocks in Ocarina of Time are all made to react to neaby timeshift material resonating at certain sound frequencies to cause a reaction. This correlates with how timeshift material worked in Skyward Sword, where they activate after being hit and with a delay of the sound from being hit ringing out for a few seconds.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The Ocarina of Time is stated to have been made from timeshift stones in Hyrule Historia, so its possible those blocks in Ocarina of Time are all made to react to neaby timeshift material resonating at certain sound frequencies to cause a reaction. This correlates with how timeshift material worked in Skyward Sword, where they activate after being hit and with a delay of the sound from being hit ringing out for a few seconds.
If I remember right, Hyrule Historia specifically says that some people theorize that the Ocarina of Time is made from a timeshift stone but nobody knows for sure. I'd definitely prefer the Ocarina of Time remain more mysterious than that but that's a really good call. Still, why do they appear only after Ganondorf's entrance into the Sacred Realm?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Still, why do they appear only after Ganondorf's entrance into the Sacred Realm?
I think it's just that Link doesn't go to the right places to run into them as a child. He explores the interior of a tree, the mine where Gorons get their food, and the interior of a fish. As opposed to the adult dungeons which are designated temples for the sages.

They definitely have to be timeshift material; considering their "origin point" is in the Adult OoT portions, it may be that Zelda and Impa were involved in their placement? Or maybe Ganondorf put them in Link's way (but then why would he make them out of timeshift stones?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom