• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Three Day Cycles: Do You Love It or Hate It?

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
Apart from being rushed around in temples, I love it. I think it's one of the best hooks in gaming history.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
The three day cycle is good for pressuring you to do this and that. Best thing for anyone who do fast at accomplishing everything. My brothers use the song of interverse to use all the time to accomplish the dungeon. I never played it. But I think the cycle is a cool, challegening thing to do during gameplay.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
To be honest, the only problem I had with the Three Day Cycle was the waiting you sometimes had to go through. >_> Sometimes there just weren't any sidequests you could do to pass the time while waiting for another sidequest without having to abandon one or the other. With enough planning, you could easily pack in a ton of sidequests into a single Three Day Cycle, sometimes even enough to get all (or most) of the new ones that are available after beating a dungeon or something.

And don't even get me started on waiting during the Anju and Kafei Quest or waiting for the Milk Bar to open (I always go to the Milk Bar on Night 1 before I do stuff because infinite magic power for a whole 3 Day Cycle is awesome). If they had a song that transported you to an exact point in the future (IE playing a variant of the Song of Time or something and then going to exactly 12:00 on the current Day/Night or something to that effect) then I'd have literally no qualms with the Three Day Cycle.

Other than that minor gripe that I made out to look major, I liked it. It added a lot of depth and challenge to the game imo. Not to mention having characters on actual schedules and seeming like real people with real lives rather than these stationary info-bots is a very nice touch.

P

peckingbird

I think the three day cycle really divided the people who played the game. I think more casual people who like picking up a game for ten minutes at a time and just getting a little further were put off the cycle, as they had to repeat they're action over and over again. Where as gammers who spend longer periods of time playing the game don't find this as much of a problem, as they tend to use the full 3 days, or go out of they're way to find the owl statues (which there was no-where near enough of).
I personally haven't picked up the game in a long time simply because I made the horrible mistake of having to suddenly leave and save via the song of time as I just got to the top of the snow peak temple. When I went back in the temple and saw it had reset it was such a big put off I haven't played it since...
Also I think the inconvenience of timings of events annoyed people, some people felt like they could try doing a temple or side quest quickly before an event happens just in case they miss the event. So they ended up waiting for ages, and if you accidentally shoot the bomb thief, this can be quite annoying.

I just love the 3 day cycle especially as lots of tasks take 3 days.
I can see no bad points about this.

For one thing its a challenge particularly the whole Anju Kafei 3 day challenge.
she asks you to come see her in the Sick pot inn at 12 midnight.

Then she gives you a letter to post.
On the second day you follow the postman as he rings the bell and Kafei takes the letter.

Then you follow him in.
HE then explains that you Link are in the letter.
He then says that Anju trusts you and he also trusts you.

Another thing i like about the 3 day cycle is that its a time limit.
You can learn songs that both slow time and speed up time.

The songs that do this are.
The inverted song of time and the song of double time.

And i love how the moon gets closer as the days pass
Another 3 day trial i like is the one where go to the Mayors office and meet Kafei's mum and she asks you to search for him she gices you the eaton mask to help you find him.

Last edited:

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I liked it a lot. It was a very unique concept for a video game, and even though it may seem like it would get to become a bit redundant doing the same 3 days over and over, it gives you the opportunity to get to know the environment and the people from more than just one angle.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
....and losing all your items wasn't very fun, but it was very realistic. That's how it would work if it were an actual scenario.

What are you talking about? Thats not how it would happen at all. You would either keep everything, or lose it all. Its not supposed to be realistic. If the game was meant to be realistic, you wouldn't be time traveling in the first place. ;)

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
At first, it bugged me because it seemed to me that I was never able to find anything to do Time-wise. Looking back on my favorite game, I need to say that it was the best part. Dungeons are great in all, especially in MM, but I think the time traveling, the unreality of it all, made MM the game we all know and love. Imagine a MM without only 3 days. With unlimited days. The moon? It couldn't exist. The carnival of time? It'd only happen once. And don't even get me started on how mad players would be about the Anju Kafei Quest.

all in all, I think the 3 Days made MM the best of all the rest. From sidequests, timing, great characters, a giant moon of death, great times were MM. And I'm hoping I'll relive the 3 days soon.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I thought it was unique, and a VERY great game mechanic. I love the depth the game has. Plus, it makes nintendo REALLY have to think in order to make the game as great as it was. It was creative any it added depth. I loved it. :)

Ganondork

goo
When I started the game, I hated it. With a burning passion. I just wanted to say, "eh screw it, I'll let Termina die!" Until I finally realized that everybody has true emotions in it. Nobody is like "eh, the Moon's gonna kill me. Too bad. I had a yoga class on Wednesday." Everybody is scrambling to do things. Like I was so upset when the guy with the chickens said he wanted to see all of the chickens grow up before he died. You never see that in OoT, or WW, or TP.

The three day cycle never bothered me. I never really felt pressured. Plus you could slow down time as well. So I never really worred about running out of time.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
In terms of a time limit, I loved it, but hen I first played through it, I hated it with a burning passion.

But now I realize it's something that Makes the Game unique, having to do things to save everyone from a horrible fate under 3 days is very tense, even knowing the fact that a mistake could eat up your time. And the dark elements added to the time limit makes MM a better game than most Zelda games to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom