• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Three-Branched Timeline Split Explanations

B

bomberboy

I have a few questions reguarding the timelines...

1. Are there three Gannons, masters swords, and triforces?
2. Could the sacred realm be a gateway in between the timelines?
3. Do the godesses know about the timeline splits?

1. Technically there are two Ganons, the original Ganondorf from OoT and FSA Ganondorf, and one Master Sword and Triforce. In terms of the timeline, there are three versions of Ganondorf, Master Sword, and Triforce because of the divergences, but they consider to be the same with exception of FSA Ganondorf.
2. It is unknown, Nintendo does not confirm nor deny this.
3. Like the second question, it is unknown if the Goddesses knows it. We haven't even met them in-person in the Zelda games.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Are there three Gannons, masters swords, and triforces?
Douglas Adams explains this rather well in Mostly Harmless. There are one of each of these (except Ganon, as Shadao explained), but we see them at several points along their probability axes. To understand 5-dimensions, it's often useful to think of it 4-dimensionally. Replace "probability" with "time". You see something now. You see it again at some point in the future. It's the same thing, you just see it at two different points along its time axis. The timeline splits merely add another axis along which it is possible to view objects and events.

To bomberboy

1. Are there three Gannons, masters swords, and triforces?

There is one Ganondorf, one Master Sword and one Triforce for each timeline, save the fact that a new Ganondorf is born in FSA.

2. Could the sacred realm be a gateway in between the timelines?

We have no information on this. I would guess, though, that this is not the case since there seems to be no connection between the Sacred Realms in WW and AlttP, the two post-split games confirmed to mention the SR.

3. Do the godesses know about the timeline splits?

We have no information on this either. If the Golden Goddesses can transcend time and space, they might know about it. If they are beings restricted to one timeline only, they would perhaps still know, but at least have no impact on the split.

Hope this helped.

/Blue Window

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
What I'm really hoping for is an eventual merge between the three timelines, however that may happen, followed by the FUTURE events of the Legend of Zelda universe on that now single timeline.

Last edited:

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
What I'm really hoping for is an eventual merge between the three timelines, however that may happen, followed by the FUTURE events of the Legend of Zelda universe on that now single timeline.

Crisis of Infinite Hyrules maybe? ;)

I read through a lot of the theories on this thread (can't be bothered to read them all). I really WANT to believe the tri-timeline theory. However, I can't seem to get behind it unless it's a separate universe altogether.

1) Some people have said that pulling the MS out the first time in OoT creates a new timeline. I think this is bull because nothing is changing. There isn't even any time travel involved. Link is sleeping in the ToT for 7 years.

2) Other people have said that every time Link goes back to the past he changes something. This MAY be true, however I have always believed this time travel was self-fulfilling (meaning it was always meant to happen). The windmill guy already KNOWS the song of storms, and who says the Lens of Truth and Silver Gauntlets are in their chests? You can't access those areas so there is no way to know. Granted you can grow magic beans or grab heart peices in the past but those are all side quests and IMO shouldn't necessarily make a difference.

3) If it wasn't for Hyrule Hystoria using the "Hyrule is defeated" explanation for a third timeline, I would say that the third timeline would be if Link was never sent back in time (the way it was supposed to be before Zelda effed up the timeline :P). Of course the problem with this theory is that in ALttP the triforce is complete. My theory on that in ALttP, Zelda and Link's uncle had the triforces of Wisdom and Courage respectively. They both were stolen by Agahnim and given to Ganon in the Dark World.

I'm SO close to accepting Nintendo's explanation, but I just rather believe number my 3 over their timeline.

Very well said, OP! It's too bad that there have been so many changes to the timeline brought by this book. It disregards most statements from interviews with the developers.

Last edited:
At first I strongly believed that traveling with the Temple of Time didn't create a split, but I suppose it could, and by the way you explain it this actually makes a lot of sense. Kudos to you.

Explaination of the Three Timeline Trees.

Hi i bet everyone as much as i have are wondering why the timline shifts to 3 trees after OOT. Well i came up with a theory (as it stands a theory) that i didnt know if everyone would approve with.

My theory is that after Link plunges the master sword into the pedestal of time at the end of OOT that a dimensional rift occurs and tears hyrule into three distinct direction each with their own timeline.

My proof (and only proof) is the need to recharge or modify the master sword due to this dispersal of energy when this dimensional rift happens. Such as the need in WW for the new sages to pray to keep the power in it, in TP to but the light back in the master sword to make it better face the twilight, and in ALTTP the need to forge it past a recognizable master sword.

now these are my thoughts and it makes sense to me so i am just wondering how all of you guys will take it.

The three timelines splitting are caused by the outcomes of Link's battle with Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time. So, no, I am not wondering why the timeline splits into 3 because we have an official theory.

It's an interesting thought though, but I believe the Master Sword is "charged" simply because of the need to take on evil. Maybe after time it loses it's will to fight until the time strikes where it needs to act as the blade of evil's bane.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The three timelines splitting are caused by the outcomes of Link's battle with Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time. So, no, I am not wondering why the timeline splits into 3 because we have an official theory.

It's an interesting thought though, but I believe the Master Sword is "charged" simply because of the need to take on evil. Maybe after time it loses it's will to fight until the time strikes where it needs to act as the blade of evil's bane.

In Wind Waker, the Sages tell Link that the sword lost the power to repel evil because they could no longer pray for that. Link had to awaken two new sages in order to restore its power. It doesn't just get its mojo back, so to speak. The blade has to be maintained over time.

As for the "official theory", the timeline splits before the battle with Ganon; how else could there be two different outcomes to it? More accurately, the timeline splits twice. Once before the final battle with Ganon and then again after it.

Timeline.jpg

That's from Hyrule Historia. Note how there is a split which leads to the Hero being defeated but the main line continues shortly and then splits after the Hero is successful. The fight with Ganon did not cause the timeline split. Rather, the outcome of that fight was dictated by the split. I have my own theory on how and why the timeline splits into three but this isn't about my theory.

Unfortunately this also means that HyruleHistory10's theory is unlikely, as the split occurs before Link returns the Master Sword at the end of Ocarina of Time. It's a good theory and it would help explain why the Master Sword needs to be given its powers back later in the timeline too but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Well Thank you for your responses. i was gooing over it myself and found out that it was flawed lol but it was a good thought while it lasted. thank you for the insight

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom