• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Three-Branched Timeline Split Explanations

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Fierce said:
You should really look at Back to the Future II and note Doc Brown's diagram.
The points you travel to are splits, not the same time as the one you left... as that one continues on without you.
Even if Link changed absolutely nothing there still would have been a split timeline made at every point he traveled into the past (Or future, but the sleeping aspect prevents that)
This is the problem; Zelda operates under B-time theory, not A-time theory, which is seen in Back to the Future. Never cite Back to the Future to explain time in the Zelda universe. Under A-time theory, OoT would not function because the space-time continuum would be ruptured. It is because Zelda operates under B-theory that allows OoT to function; you cannot explain anything in the Zelda universe with A-theory.

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
No, zelda as a series operates however it wants, whenever it wants. It goes by terminator rules and back to the future rules. It contradicts time travel in every game that has time travel in it. Whether its SS, OoT, OoA, or MM. Zelda is like Dr. Whos rules. Anything goes at any time its convenient.

Fierce

Deity Link
To assume and operate under either A or B theory is pretty odd.
Considering Zelda is very abstract and liberal with its own continuity I'd say it would be nigh impossible for it to actually adhere to one set law of time.

Nintendo has a very make-it-up-as-you-go-along approach. There's no way they'd tie themselves down to any one universal time law. For all we know, time might not even have its own rules at all. There is a Goddess of Time we know nothing about... therefore I'd assume she could bend these sorts of things to whatever whim she fancies.

I digress though, praytell... what makes you say that B-theory is a confirmed canon? If your reasoning is to avoid certain paradoxes... I'd say that's a grave error. Things you perceive as paradox may very well make perfect sense with certain explanations since we are devoid of much substantiated absolutes in anything.

Given the accounts of the overall story are told in 'Legends' we can't even determine the absolute validity of the 'facts' we learn from the games themselves. The only true 'facts' are truths that are offered by the developers themselves...

I.E. the Hyrule Historia... on which I'm currently basing my theories.

This is a very plausible explanation of a 3-way split. Being so cemented to your literal interpretation of the Sheik's song may fiercely limit your ability to theorize outside what your assumptions outline.

Hey, that's just my theory though. As always, things are never truly confirmed until Nintendo actually voices confirmations.

S

SilentLink

Proof for it: Guru-Guru already knows the song of storms when link is in the futur for the first time. In your theory he shouldn't because Link never teaches it to him

not necessarily. in the Original Timeline (aka before the sword was drawn), guru-guru may have never learned the song of storms since time travel hadn't occured. but if the drawing of the master sword creates a split, and you are thrusted into the new timeline. In which the new timeline (where the time travel loop is open) link exists in present and past simultaneously until the loop is closed by defeating ganon and replacing the master sword for good, thus making it possible for the events to occur, because it was almost pre-destined for link to learn the song of storms from guru-guru to drain the well (in this universe, not the other since he no longer exists there) and play it for him in the past, which does create a looping timeline, but since links consciousness is the vessel traveling through time, both past and future are his present. so once the door between times is closed, so is the loop cause by the song of storm paradox, since both events happened in both timelines at the point the door is close, it doesn't interfere with any space-time paradox issues.

D

darklord21

there a way the 3rd split would work

link and zelda lost there triforce but Ganon is seal in the evil realm. meanwhile a few 100 or so years later lttp happen giving the timeline long enought to have a new link and zelda reborn which keep in with demiss curse.

this is an excellent theory! it's so well argued that I'm inclined to believe you! :) I didn't like how the timeline split into three as it was argued that ganon defeated link which to me was a fairly weak argument that was used just to clear up the argument! but this theory is plausible and it makes a pretty much flawless timeline! I don't see how anyone could disagree! also I hope this whole power, courage and wisdom timelines actually catch on! well done! :)

R

Rauru

i'm going to move this to the main thread regarding this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
P

prabhbhambra13

Shouldn't the timeline then split when Link goes back in time to defeat Demise in SS as well?

Technically, Link went back in time thrice (in cannon of course). First to enter the well, second to enter the spirit temple, and third when Zelda sent him back. However, your rule is still valid because of how the time travel is activated. The first two are via the same method: Temple of Time. However, Zelda forced the issue herself the third time and even sent you back farther than you should have been able to go. Well, you managed to make sense of the trident-split. I think its high time I ditched my timeline theory and kept up with making sense of the cannon one. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom