• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on the YES! I Got First Comment!

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what your opinion is on people commenting first when there first to comment. Personally this doesn't bother me. Congratulations you were first! But what does bother me is when the second, third and fourth comment are "last to get laid" or "get a life nobody cares" I mean to me, your just drawing more attention to something you don't like. Or even worse when people comment "great vid" or "keep up the good work" because they think this is better than yelling "FIRST!!!"...it isn't. Anyway whats your thoughts?
Cheers,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the "first" comments myself, and I think it's somewhat funny to see everyone's reactions to these comments. But I agree with you on the "great vid" or "keep up the good work" comments and others that are similar. They're bland and don't show why the person thought it was so great. If people give a comment like that, they should at least explain why they thought so.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I think if your life is dedicated to getting the first comment on a video or whatever, you seriously need to rethink what you're doing. Another thing is what does one achieve from racing to get first comment? Nothing. If anything, you just annoy people who are actually trying to get feedback and decent comments opposed to just reading a list of "First. FIRST. FURST. WURST"

The whole "first comment" thing has been around just as long as "x amount of people are y", if not longer. They're equally as pointless and add nothing of any value. The only thing they create is annoyance and attract (un?)wanted attention to the poster. So yeah. Personally, they annoy me because I actually read comments to get feedback and opinions on the video/topics discussed. Can you imagine going on a product review and seeing nothing but "First!" in the reviews? :O How unhelpful and pointless would that be?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In reality, it is pretty obnoxious. But I've also found peoples' responses to the issue can be quite funny, while still maintaining an air of maturity about themselves. It's better than retorting with "GTFO!" or something similar. Even I used to jump in with retorts but they were structured to approach the perpetrator seriously.

As for the comment by itself, yelling "first" can kill the discussion early on. I've seen a lot of people get mad and create long lines of replies in anger, and that drowned out the relevant comments below. Entire topics were literally derailed because of it; that's how badly it discouraged suitable posting. However I've found that reporting the detrimental comment is far better than retaliating the annoyance it produced. Reporting had the comment removed and additionally terminates the possibility of deterring pertinent discussion.

Lastly, I have to admit it was extremely laughable when a poster's "FIRST" comment was ninja'd by a more relevant reply, and he ended up being second or third. That's when the fun really began. xD

Last edited:

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I think it is absolutely idiotic. Yet honestly, there is no need to make a thread on this, Also, change the title. Makes it think that you got first comment on something. In my opinion, you could have talked about this on chatbox.

It's pointless. A lot of people are looking for positive feedback on their videos or topics, and you have some dude not contributing anything at all by yelling out the fact that he's first. Although, it's not really surprising or anything. I mean, plenty of people out in the world do the same kind of thing just to be as unhelpful as possible, so they probably hop on the internet to do it as well.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I agree with Honorable. It isn't surprising that people do it, considering that everything becomes a competition.

It personally doesn't bother me. I don't do it myself, but I do get a good laugh by looking at the first few pages of popular youtube video comments and seeing the 247 "First!" claims, and then the arguments and explanations of "there wasn't any when I posted it." Lulz.

Eh, whatever.
If people wanna be dumb, just let them be dumb.
Someone commenting "first" on a video certainly does affect my life.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think it is absolutely idiotic. Yet honestly, there is no need to make a thread on this, Also, change the title. Makes it think that you got first comment on something. In my opinion, you could have talked about this on chatbox.

It is not up to you to decide if this thread is unnecessary or whatever. Neither is it up to you to say if this should be discussed in a chatbox okay. Thanks. I do agree the title is a bit confusing though.

I don't really bother myself when people post FIRST! I can't care any less about it. It is annoying in a way and it shows some users don't really watch the vid or read something but only comment to be the first to comment. There will always be people doing this. Ther is no way you can stop them other than deleting it or disable comments in general

Last edited:
I think "first" comments are pointless, and don't add anything to the discussion. Just because someone is the first person who stumbled upon something doesn't mean they deserve any recognition for it.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
i never paid it much thought. it is a bored person online posting comments out of sheer boredom. nothing more nothing less

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy
It's always annoyed me a little bit. It shouldn't matter whether you posted the comment first, second, last, or sixteenth! What should matter is what your comment says

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom