• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Thoughts on the Audio?

As most of you probably know from that other thread, this video showed up today, giving us an opportunity to hear the audio from the game directly.

What are everyone's thoughts on the audio?

Sound effects are primarily taken from A Link to the Past, it seems, with a few additions. They seem a bit remastered but otherwise the same. Not exactly impressive or inspiring, but it works well enough from what I can see.

What I'm mainly interested in is the soundtrack. It's definitely got the orchestral style -- whether it has live instrumentation I dunno -- for its remixes of classic A Link to the Past music. I really dig the two songs we've heard. The dungeon theme isn't better than the original in my opinion, but it is a worthy remix. The boss theme on the other hand kind of blew me away. I really like it, and it seems neat how it changes as the boss takes more damage. I think my only gripe about the audio so far is that the song get quieter when you turn into a drawing. This is a good idea on paper (lol), but without the wall sections being... I dunno, lengthier, more involving? ...it seems really pointless, and more like an unnecessary interruption of the music, however brief. Seems pointless to me.

How about you guys?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
The Palace theme was never one of my favorites, though the use of digitized trumpet and oboe obviously work much better than the nasally whine from the original. I do like how they were able to incorporate more realistic percussion into the boss them to give it some real intensity.

The three I'm most interested in hearing are Hyrule Castle, the Lost Woods, and the Overworld theme. I still remember being taken aback by slower, sweeping andante march with full percussion (cymbal crashes!) as I emerged from the sanctuary in contrast to the much more uptempo themes from the first two games (that run a much more brisk allegro at around 144).

Last edited:
I loved both tracks on the video, the music is both engaging and atmospheric, its the sound dungeons should have in Zelda, the music really enhanced what the gameplay showed and the music thus far is my favourite thing about it, it brings back more nostalgia than the visuals themselves which is nice.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
From what I've heard, the audio is great. Both pieces of music are brilliantly composed and the retro sound effects are a nice touch. Thank goodness this particular Link doesn't scream with every sword slash. That's something that got annoying fast in the GBA version of Link to the Past.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's definitely live instruments we heard, and I really like this. I kinda wish Nintendo had gone with some original dungeon music -- although I guess it's possible they will and that the remix we heard is simply... well, a remix, although I doubt that's the case -- but I can look over it since the game is trying to emulate A Link to the Past.

I actually like how the music quiets when Link turns into a drawing. I dunno, I guess it enhances the idea of Link being flat to me, at least with the way it's been handled. But to each his own.

And, of course, I'm excited to hear what other music the game has in store for us. Can't wait to hear the Hyrule Castle theme, that's for sure.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I actually really like the sound effects seen so far, it's kind of mix up of the old school effects reminiscent of the original A Link to the Past and some of the lighter tones from the three games on the Adult Timeline and to be honest they mix really well.

The actual dungeon theme sounds great, it feels magical but it has this kind of dark theme within, the only track I can compare it to is the Skyview Temple from Skyward Sword , probably my favourite track from that game. The track is also very atmospheric, I can't stress how important such tracks should give off this feel, even more so when within a dungeon. I think even with this short clip we're getting an insight into just what tone the game is going to be, to me it sounds like a mixture of Light and dark, which is definitely what I wanted.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I actually really like the sound effects seen so far, it's kind of mix up of the old school effects reminiscent of the original A Link to the Past and some of the lighter tones from the three games on the Adult Timeline and to be honest they mix really well.

The actual dungeon theme sounds great, it feels magical but it has this kind of dark theme within, the only track I can compare it to is the Skyview Temple from Skyward Sword , probably my favourite track from that game. The track is also very atmospheric, I can't stress how important such tracks should give off this feel, even more so when within a dungeon. I think even with this short clip we're getting an insight into just what tone the game is going to be, to me it sounds like a mixture of Light and dark, which is definitely what I wanted.

Funny, I was reminded of that song myself. Shortly after watching the video, I found it stuck in my head. <3

Damn, you guys. Now I need to go listen to it. :bleh:

I have nothing to add on the quality of the orchestrated audio tracks but the weapon sounds effects are a welcome return.

For some time now, Nintendo has scrupulously improved the sound of Link's arsenal coming into contact with enemy equipment. With A Link to the Past 2, I love the sound of Stalfos bones banging against Link's shield and the hero's blade slashing at Moldorm.

Concerning the diminished audio when Link melds with walls as a drawing, it may be a decision to accentuate stealth when Link is in that form. Kudos to Red for suggesting the idea earlier in the SB. I take no credit for it as my own.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dunno about y'all, but I'm most interested in hearing a Dark World remix, assuming the dual overworld schema returns.
-----
I've not much more to add except that I hope one thing does not come to pass: all themes are merely orchestrated remixes of ALttP themes. That would become quite irritating quite fast, as I know we're not playing the same game. :3

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I was hoping for a MIDI soundtrack, but the orchastated versions are so loyal to the original material that im okay with is, that dungeon theme was the exact same from the original, with a few twist here and there.

the actual sound effects that sound exactly like the original are welcom and exciting, even the sound of the sword beam at full health, the sound enemies make when defeated. its all welcome! the Hammer dont have the cluck it used too but its bigger so the sound it makes now is fitting!

I wasn't a big fan of some of the music in ALTTP, but i still enjoyed it. It matched the feel of the game fairly well. With this game coming out, i think they wanted it to match the feeling that you are playing a sequel to the original and not just a new game entirely. Between the remixed and orchestrated sounds, i think some of the things i heard sound better. For example i was ecstatic about the dungeon theme, I think the dungeon theme from the original was superb. Heck i even have a playlist on my MP3 with nothing but remixes of that song. To hear an official remix/orchestrated version (not sure which) just had me geek out.

As for the sound effects, some i liked and other i was troubled by. I never liked the solving the secret theme in the original and it just sounds like the same bland theme to me. I also think the sound of turning into a drawing will get annoying. Speaking of drawing mode...

I think my only gripe about the audio so far is that the song get quieter when you turn into a drawing. This is a good idea on paper (lol), but without the wall sections being... I dunno, lengthier, more involving? ...it seems really pointless, and more like an unnecessary interruption of the music, however brief. Seems pointless to me.

I think there will be more to drawing mode than what we have seem. Remember what they showed off was a beta dungeon and it was to show some of the things the game will offer. I've said this yesterday and i think others will agree with me, i think the sound becoming more quiet adds to "Drawing mode". When in drawing mode, you can avoid obstacles and in that sense, it is stealthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom