• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Link’s Abilities

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Note: This is less of a theory and more just observations made based on clues from the game, relating to an existing theory.. No real conclusion can be made, I’m just looking over the evidence. The first part, while it is a theory, is just to give context; I summarized it, but did not come up with it.

BOTW makes it pretty obvious that each champion has special abilities, those of which are borrowed by Link once he frees them (excluding Zelda’s).
Revali’s and Zelda’s are the only ones we have any idea as to the origins of. Revali’s journal states that he created the technique for his gale, and Zelda’s seems to stem from the Triforce, or at least her divine bloodline.
Link, though, seems to have no supernatural ability of his own, even though he is made a Champion. Are the Champions solely those designated to defeat Ganon, or does one require an ability to join? Probably not. But Link still has something up his sleeve.
Mipha’s journal states that he bested adults in sword fighting at a young age. We also watch as he walks away from battling dozens of enemies with merely a scratch in a memory. Is his sword fighting ability enough to be his own form of special power? I think that this is just a result of something more specific.
Daruk’s journal tells us that Link confided in the Goron about something.
He said sometimes when he focuses, it feels like time slows down.
What first seemed like a cool bullet-time mechanic, is what I think is Link’s ability. This explains him being able to pull off such feats of combat.

But everything I just talked about is already established theory. I wanted to try and find out what the origins of these powers are. There probably isn’t nearly enough evidence, like with most of the Champions, but perhaps I can come up with some possibilities.
  • The Triforce of Courage
    Not likely. While Link is probably worthy, it is implied that Zelda the royal family has the entire Triforce, much like in the backstory for the original two Zelda games. Also, the fact that Link has no symbol on his hand makes this almost impossible.
  • Divine Gift
    Perhaps the gods gifted him this power? Hylia’s Spirit seems to be separate from Zelda’s, even if she is the reincarnation. This may be possible. Farore is another option, but the three goddesses rarely interfere with the mortal world; also, Nayru is the goddess who created law and order, like time, and wisdom is generally associated with Zelda. MM mentions a Goddess of Time; while it is unsure if she exists, this could be an option.
  • Spirit of the Hero
    Unlikely. Although OoT Link dabbled with time a bit, none of the Links can naturally slow time without a magical object.
  • Inheritance or Chance
    The lamest one. Link is just born with it. Not singled out or chosen, just lucky.
These are just a few possibilities I’ve thought of. Feel free to share your own, or different takes on the time-slowing abilities. Honestly, there’s too little information to make a definite conclusion yet, I just wanted to discuss.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I've always made the argument that Link's abilities are why he's a knight at an age where most real knights in history would have been squires.

Typically, you started off as a Page at age 6. After you went through your basic education, you became a squire, where more education and responsibilities were hoisted on you. This is usually done by the onset of sexual maturity, which is around 11 or 12.

Next, you'd work with knights as your profession until you turned 21 years of age, where you'd be knighted.

Or, and here's where Link comes in....

You perform a courageous, daring, or noble feat and were knighted much earlier.

Link's feat? Parrying a Guardian's laser with a Pot Lid, according to one journal. This impressed the king, of all people, enough that Link was knighted and became his daughter's personal guard.

That's how good Link's abilities are in BotW.

I just wanted to add this, and your theory is interesting to think about. :)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think it's implied that the spirit of the hero is what makes each incarnation of Link excel at battle. Also I like your concept that the more the spirit reincarnates, later incarnations gain more experience simply by housing that spirit.

Here's something to consider though, in the Champion's Ballad DLC Memory for Urbosa, we see her perform a perfect guard and it seemingly triggers an opening for her to flurry rush in slow motion. Maybe it was just for cinematic purpose, or it could be showing us that the ability to perform slow motion combat isn't something exclusive to Link? I feel like the latter diminishes the ability for Link greatly, because then he really has nothing unique besides being able to use the Master Sword. Though, I guess in theory if he can use all the other Champion's techniques, perhaps the Champions can learn the other's techniques too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom