• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Dubstep

iMadMax

Zelda Masta
I really think dubstep is overrated! I do enjoy it but people saying that its their favorite kind of music just makes me laugh! Its fun and cool and all but its getting way to repetitive and has no soul to it now. Its like dance part, bassdrop and then womp womp womp the rest of the song and there you go you got yourself a dubstep song. I really wish people would open their minds and actually understand the music that they listen to (escpecially whats playing on the radio nowadays). Anyways those are my thoughts and im not bashing on dubstep in any way, i do enjoy it but there is way to much hype around it. What do you guys think?

I really don't like,it's not even music,no one sings or plays any instruments it is ridiculous.It's just the computer playing.Just like Jim Morrison said the music will end when music will be created by machines

Dubstep is good for one thing: bobbing. Not even dancing, just standing together in a room and bobbing together. The beat can be good, but it's not exactly something you want to curl up with on a cold day.

Music is fantastic because there are so many different genres that there's a style appropriate for every mood and occasion. Dubstep is severely limited in flexibility. So to answer your question, I like it sometimes. But not all the time.

I think I am once again needed to point out that the music you are referring to is not Dubstep, but it's infinitely simpler and more annoying younger sibling Brostep. Of course it's not your fault you're all getting it wrong as you're too young and from the wrong side of the world to have noticed the initial wave of real Dubstep (Burial, Skream, Benga, Kode9 etc.)

I really think dubstep is overrated! I do enjoy it but people saying that its their favorite kind of music just makes me laugh! Its fun and cool and all but its getting way to repetitive and has no soul to it now. Its like dance part, bassdrop and then womp womp womp the rest of the song and there you go you got yourself a dubstep song. I really wish people would open their minds and actually understand the music that they listen to (escpecially whats playing on the radio nowadays). Anyways those are my thoughts and im not bashing on dubstep in any way, i do enjoy it but there is way to much hype around it. What do you guys think?
Bolded the parts that caught my eye here... First I think the term "overrated" is, itself, overrated. :P People use that term a lot, and I usually see it in cases where something is popular that the user of the word doesn't particularly like, or like as much. I don't think that's an appropriate way to use the word. I think the word is useful when something is objectively inferior, and I guess that is the angle you're approaching this from, but I think you're ignoring how personal music is for people.

I question why you'd laugh at someone's choice of their favorite genre, especially if it's a genre you yourself do like sometimes. If it was a genre that didn't make sense to you on any level, then I'd get that, but clearly you understand how someone could enjoy it at least a little, so I don't see why someone preferring it is weird to you. Music is highly personal. Most people are not interested in going into listening to music and picking it apart. There's just "does this sound cool to me or not?", and evidently a lot of people feel it's the former. No one's interested in "opening their minds" and understanding the genre exactly as you want them to. Even if the music is objectively worse in construction, that's not usually relevant to personal favorites (there's a huge difference between someone's "favorite" and what they think is "the best"), and regardless, your objective interpretation isn't automatically someone else's objective interpretation. Objective =/= actual fact.

I really don't like,it's not even music,no one sings or plays any instruments it is ridiculous.It's just the computer playing.Just like Jim Morrison said the music will end when music will be created by machines
You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Computers are not the absence of an instrument. They are instruments in themselves. It's not being created by machine. It's being created with machines. They are the tool, but humans are still the ones creating them. Besides, if you have a beef with dubstep for no actual instruments being involved, then you pretty much have to hate every single piece of video game music prior to the PlayStation 1 and Nintendo 64, and many, many songs after that too, including all Zelda songs prior to Skyward Sword.

not a fan. not that i dont like electronic music..i just dont like the way dubstep is executed. im not into the dance club sound. and the atmosphere with the lights and the party scene...not my thing. raves werent cool, going clubbing isnt cool, and i dont think dubstep is cool either.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Dubstep is good for one thing: bobbing. Not even dancing, just standing together in a room and bobbing together. The beat can be good, but it's not exactly something you want to curl up with on a cold day.

Music is fantastic because there are so many different genres that there's a style appropriate for every mood and occasion. Dubstep is severely limited in flexibility. So to answer your question, I like it sometimes. But not all the time.

I'm a dancer, and when I do popping I find dubstep to be the music of choice. In fact, dubstep has been used to remixed songs on America's Best Dance Crew and is also many of the world's greatest dance crews' favorite genres of music. And I don't believe that dubstep is inflexible. I've been listen to it for almost two years now, and different artists manipulate their tracks to create unique flavors. No two artists will ever sound the same.

Pointless noise....

The beats and electronic sounds are generated to create something of a melody. It is actually a very complex process. Dubstep takes as much skill to produce as any other genre of music, so I really wouldn't call it pointless. Dubstep is actually a recognized form of music. Music is essentially organized sound, so it's ignorant to say that it doesn't have a point.

S

selenarockz001

i like it..if it has a melody to it...skrillex and feed me are my favorites at it. and i saw both of them live. it was a good time. It may no be to u...but its music to my ears :)

I actually like instrumental and rhythmic types of music, but I haven't found any dubstep that I like yet. All of it sounds pretty bad to me. Maybe I just haven't found the ''good'' stuff yet.

I think of it as social music. If I am alone the chances of me picking it are very slim however, if I am driving around town with my friends it is much more likely that I will play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom